• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Good debut for Shane McClanahan

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

6 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

How what is related?  2 out of his 3 starts are quality starts.   He sucked the other start.  But hell, it takes weeks to get 2 quality starts from our staff this year

I meant, how do Shane's starts relate at all to our current staff? Unless there's been a post I missed where anyone even remotely implied he wasn't a very good pitcher for us. I've yet to see it. Any criticism thrown his way has been based solely on his inability to go deep into games. It's not my pick in the draft, so my opinion doesn't count for ****, but if I was taking a first rounder, it wouldn't be on someone tracking as a middle reliever. In 2018, he threw barely more than 5 innings a start and walked almost 6 batters per 9 innings. That's not terribly good for either a starter OR a closer. He throws the **** out of the ball, which is always good, but MLB is littered with guys who can throw as hard as he does. If he's going to be an impact arm, he needs to either get deeper into games or start throwing more strikes. His pro career looks to be about the same. Yes, I know they limit his innings, so that's up in the air right now in terms of whether he can stick in a rotation and get deeper into games, but he's still walking people at a pretty high rate and that doesn't bode well for a career as a closer, either. 

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

Some folks couldn't wait to complain about him only going 5 innings regardless, now look at the mess we got.

As for his drafting, he dropped considerably.  Probably a mixture of his wildness, his financial demands, and maybe even his attitude.  Rays were perfect fit with 3 picks in the Top 30.  Well worth the risk on a big, hard throwing lefty with upside.

On a side note, the IP/GS was 5.4 in MLB last season.  It seems to continue to decrease 

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

Teams may limit innings, but they still expect their top guys to take over a game when it is needed. You have to show that ability, at some point he will be asked to do that and the question will be has he developed into a guy who can bare down and throw strikes enough to go deep into games. 

I personally think he is an opener, go get the top of the order and be able to call it a day early if the wheels fall off with limited damage.