• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

DePaul to host game 2 of CBI Championship

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,112
  • Days Won:  7

1 hour ago, 79 Bull said:

Not to be a downer, but 3384 was distributed tickets including comps and students.  I'll bet we sold a max of 2500 tickets at an average of $14.50 (tickets were $17 and $12) for a total of $36,000.  Still not bad for this type of pay tournament with teams ranked over 90 or 100 out of 351.

GO BULLS!

Given you can lose a lot more on a bowl game, I consider losing 50k to 70k on a tournament where we can sell the brand and winning basketball a small cost. Assuming we win, you can sell "CBI tournament champions" all offseason. A young team that won something could sell quite a few tickets next year. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

1 hour ago, bullsbucsfan426 said:

the CBI is keeping the ticket proceeds from tonight's game. 

We get all concessions AND parking 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

12 minutes ago, DELdaBull said:

We get all concessions AND parking 

I skipped a few pages, are we still discussing how saying yes to this tournament was a bad idea for USF?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  139

9 hours ago, flsportsfan83 said:

We will win tonight. I guarentee it.

:Shhhh:

lol

I would write the tournament cost off as a marketing expense. It has been worth the costs imo. I think we can build on this and that is exactly the point. The idea isn't to be doing this one next year but something grander.

After reading how this tourney is setup, I am wondering if USF would have been able to sell any TV rights to their CBI games--  and if they did=-= would the cbi get those funds as well? Now the lack of a huge push for ticket sales makes a bit more sense. The CBI is sort of small time not thinking about selling a TV package to some outlet. That would have probably been more lucrative than the piddly amount they are basically charging the participants. Though it does seem like the home team is the one who is paying the visitors travel expenses.

Either way- I am happy with the decision. At the very least, these guys earned the chance to play some more.

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

Would appear that it's time for that big old (50 years) USF Chicago Alumni Association to start getting into game mode. Heading to 50,000 members?? Now that and a half century are very impressive. Maybe they can muster up 5-6,000 for the upcoming DePaul game ?? Now that would be very cool...    Calling all ChiTown Bull's Fans Wed 4/3....prob wont need to worry about Fri 4/5 we should take them in out two.. Go Bull's

• Topic Count:  91
  • Content Count:  1,716
  • Days Won:  9

36 minutes ago, BulledOver said:

Would appear that it's time for that big old (50 years) USF Chicago Alumni Association to start getting into game mode. Heading to 50,000 members?? Now that and a half century are very impressive. Maybe they can muster up 5-6,000 for the upcoming DePaul game ?? Now that would be very cool...    Calling all ChiTown Bull's Fans Wed 4/3....prob wont need to worry about Fri 4/5 we should take them in out two.. Go Bull's

50k members is way off. We don't even have 50k members in the association. I would guess there's a couple thousand alumni in the Chicago area.

That chapter has done some great work over the past few years. I'm hopeful they can get a good group together. Getting over 100 Bulls in on this short of notice would be a huge accomplishment.

Edit: I think your post was based on a recent post by the chapter. That's material they're posting for the association's membership drive.

Edited by &rew Bull
  • Haha 1

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

I read the contract. The setup is interesting. It essentially has the teams hosting the first two rounds guaranteeing the costs of putting on the tournament (travel, hotels, meals for the visiting team, refs, insurance, marketing materials, etc. for the tournament itself). Not including airfare, there is a maximum guarantee of $17,000 in costs for the visiting teams. If you estimate round-trip airfare costs of $500 per person round trip, that would be another $11,000 in potential costs for visiting teams, for a total right around $28,000. That would leave the tournament $12,000 to cover the costs of refs, marketing materials and other overhead. I would venture to guess they profit between $7,000 and $10,000 per game for the first two rounds from just the "hosting" fees. So somewhere between $84,000 and $120,000 in profit. 

Then, for the semifinals and finals, the tournament hedges that ticket sales will exceed the $40,000 guarantee for each game. They also get to keep whatever TV money they receive from ESPN and any other sponsorship they can manage to sell. Roman, the named sponsor, is a mail-order erectile dysfunction company (apropos I suppose since some fans have had a hard time getting "up" for these games), and they also list GotPrint.com, O'Reilly Auto Parts, Wilson Trophy Company, and ESPN U among their other sponsors. My guess is that GotPrint and Wilson have bartered sponsorship in exchange for marketing materials and the actual trophy they award. From the looks of the contract, they may also have some sort of sponsorship with Coca-Cola. 

I think this is the case of a niche tournament, finding a niche market, and doing the best it can to turn a modest profit, in addition to the Gazelle Group's other modest endeavors. 

17 hours ago, MikeG said:

:Shhhh:

lol

I would write the tournament cost off as a marketing expense. It has been worth the costs imo. I think we can build on this and that is exactly the point. The idea isn't to be doing this one next year but something grander.

After reading how this tourney is setup, I am wondering if USF would have been able to sell any TV rights to their CBI games--  and if they did=-= would the cbi get those funds as well? Now the lack of a huge push for ticket sales makes a bit more sense. The CBI is sort of small time not thinking about selling a TV package to some outlet. That would have probably been more lucrative than the piddly amount they are basically charging the participants. Though it does seem like the home team is the one who is paying the visitors travel expenses.

Either way- I am happy with the decision. At the very least, these guys earned the chance to play some more.

Each team has the rights to sell/use their radio broadcast. Any video dissemination of the tournament requires the tournament's permission. My guess is that the tournament decided or discovered years prior that it wasn't cost-effective to try and sell the TV rights for the rounds other than the finals. The infrastructure involved would be too much for them to take on. At least they allowed USF to broadcast the games via Bulls Vision without any additional costs. It is something they could have been difficult on, especially with their retention of the gate from last night's game. I am sure that was something that Athletics requested when agreeing to enter this tournament. 

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

2 hours ago, &rew Bull said:

50k members is way off. We don't even have 50k members in the association. I would guess there's a couple thousand alumni in the Chicago area.

That chapter has done some great work over the past few years. I'm hopeful they can get a good group together. Getting over 100 Bulls in on this short of notice would be a huge accomplishment.

Edit: I think your post was based on a recent post by the chapter. That's material they're posting for the association's membership drive.

Ok, so math wasn't my strong suit...well ok maybe reading comprehension too...yeah I did see that on the Alumni news..numbers don't lie but presentation does at times... It threw me since I had heard that the Alum Assoc had around 64k actually not many when you compare it to the number of grads over the years. So you have 2000 members? Guess all 2000 plus friends, relatives are going to need to show up. Met a number of folks from the Chicago chapter some years ago when up there for the Notre Dame game. Fun, friendly people. I'm sure our players will be glad to see Bulls fans there period. Enjoy. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  96,973
  • Days Won:  469

22 hours ago, flsportsfan83 said:

Its crazy we dont get anything for tonight

Not sure we were trying...for example, BullsVision was free, tickets were cheap.  I think it’s seen as valuable to the players and program and opportunity to market to a dull and lifeless football town.

Guest Jonesy Bull
20 minutes ago, Brad said:

Not sure we were trying...for example, BullsVision was free, tickets were cheap.  I think it’s seen as valuable to the players and program and opportunity to market to a dull and lifeless football town.

That's true some of the times.........however the excitement of Lightning playoff hockey will consume this town in a couple of weeks.