• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF did its homework on Coach Gregory

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

I must admit that I wasn't all that excited when he was hired. I was sooo wrong! I was going on what he did at Georgia Tech. But look at the images. Clearly, GT is a deathtrap for bball coaches.

USF finally did something right with USF men's bball!

zzzzzzzzzz.png.4d1c5d14525b04d01ef061c9ceb81ee2.pngqqqqq.png.b91f4eb5a84936431fab2311714b2526.png

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,608
  • Content Count:  74,432
  • Days Won:  422

2 hours ago, Flowers4Heisman said:

Clearly, GT is a deathtrap for bball coaches.

It may say more about the Calipari coaching tree compared to the Izzo coaching tree ...

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

I hope it says more about Brian Gregory. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I liked the hire from the jump. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,454

What is funny is that GT fired him after a 21 win season, then the next year they won 21 again, so clearly he didn't leave the cupboard empty. Their mistake is our gain. 

I had a chance to talk to him for like 15 seconds at a Final 4 event in Atlanta, back when he was at GT, and he impressed me in that moment. 

Even in my best case scenario, I didn't think he could turn things around as quickly as he did. What I love is that since I came to USF in 1993 (I just missed the great teams of the early 90's), every year we have a successful team (95, 2012), they are senior heavy and tend to drop off the next year. This is the first time since the early 1990's when we are both good and young. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  399
  • Days Won:  0

14 hours ago, Flowers4Heisman said:

I must admit that I wasn't all that excited when he was hired. I was sooo wrong! I was going on what he did at Georgia Tech. But look at the images. Clearly, GT is a deathtrap for bball coaches.

USF finally did something right with USF men's bball!

zzzzzzzzzz.png.4d1c5d14525b04d01ef061c9ceb81ee2.pngqqqqq.png.b91f4eb5a84936431fab2311714b2526.png

Bobby Cremins and Paul Hewitt did just fine at Georgia Tech. Hewitt went to a final four. Hardly a death trap.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,454

3 hours ago, Basketball Jones said:

Bobby Cremins and Paul Hewitt did just fine at Georgia Tech. Hewitt went to a final four. Hardly a death trap.

Paul Hewitt (who is a nice guy and did some broadcasts of USF games a year or two ago in the Sun Dome). Had a contract after his Final 4 year that would add an extra year on the end every time he would win something like 15 games. So, his contract kept getting extended automatically. I think GT wanted to let him go for a few years, but couldn't afford it, because he always had 5+ years left on his contract. He had 5 losing seasons out of 11. 

Now, of course I would take 10 straight losing seasons for a Final 4 run, so I am not trying to diminish the success of that year. 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  2,350
  • Days Won:  4

4 hours ago, Basketball Jones said:

Yeah and GT won a national championship in 1990 in football, that doesn't mean that it isn't a difficult job now. 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  399
  • Days Won:  0

18 hours ago, ForestBull said:

Yeah and GT won a national championship in 1990 in football, that doesn't mean that it isn't a difficult job now. 

Georgia Tech will always be a difficult basketball job because they can't accept just any kid and they play in the ACC. I used to watch ACC basketball all the time and loved how they played under Cremins. I never thought Hewitt was a great in-game Coach but he was good recruiter at first, then as his assistants left for head coaching jobs, after the final four run, his recruiting fell off. Hewitt's lack of X&O abilities got exposed at George Mason. Oh, and Hewitt left both an academic mess and I think some NCAA violations that Brian Gregory had to clean up. IIRC initially Gregory had to recruit some guys who would go to class everyday and improve the program's APR. That sometimes leads to signing kids who probably should be in the CAA and not the ACC.

Difficult job? Yes. Death trap? No, or at least it does not have to be with the right hire.

• Topic Count:  351
  • Content Count:  4,056
  • Days Won:  56

Mark Harlan made two good hires in Gregory and Kingston

• Like 1