• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Football Practice Comments for 3/27

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

3 hours ago, USFBulls727 said:

Well, there's this...just one play, but it's something. Not sure how much of this went on.

https://www.thebullspen.com/topic/123062-q-is-going-rogue/?tab=comments#comment-1602748

I shouldn't get involved,  but.....

OH NO, our senior all world QB audibled on a 2 point conversion.  The horror...

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, DELdaBull said:

I shouldn't get involved,  but.....

OH NO, our senior all world QB audibled on a 2 point conversion.  The horror...

My posting of that link was in response to Trip saying:

"There's no evidence that I've heard/seen to support the assertion that Q "freelanced" (I assume meaning he audibled out of hb dives) his way to 49 points and 2 school passing game records (to go along with his 2 school passing season records) in the UCF game."

I believe that RaiderBull mentioned the UCF game in 2017 that Q did a lot of this. I have no idea if that's true, but I remembered the title of that thread about Flowers "Going Rogue", so DJ's quote provides at least a small shred of evidence. As for your "The horror" comment, no horror at all. That was a huge play in that game, and the audible worked in that case. Couldn't tell you though how much Q's audibles lead to the 49 points and 2 passing game records that day. I just remember that 2 point conversion was Q's idea.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

18 hours ago, Triple B said:

Look, I'm sorry. I just find it amusing when people try to fit square pegs into round holes to try and fit their agenda. There's no evidence that I've heard/seen to support the assertion that Q "freelanced" (I assume meaning he audibled out of hb dives) his way to 49 points and 2 school passing game records (to go along with his 2 school passing season records) in the UCF game. Gilbert didn't waste anybody's year. The year was wasted because we had the misfortune of being in the same conference as a team destined for a national championship ...

Sometimes kids are just transcendent and make plays despite being put in bad situations over and over again.   That was who Flowers was while at USF.  He could take an absolutely bad play call and turn it into something spectacular.  Let's not act like Flowers was just playing within the confines of the offense to get those stats, he was doing ridiculous things after bad play calls broke down and turning them into big plays or at the minimum modest gains or non-negative plays (I could go on and on why that offense is dead in the water when it gets behind schedule but i digress).  That's what he did all season and why Gilbert's offense was so bad after he didn't have Flowers anymore.  The kids who played for him are telling you exactly who Gilbert is now that he's gone too.  You're right though he didn't waste Flowers senior year.  He **** sure tried but Flowers is the kind of player who controls his own destiny after the snap because his ability to make chicken salad out of chicken **** is second to none.  

Also, maybe Flowers just has balls bigger than beach balls and that was his first time ignoring Gilbert on that 2 pt conversion, or maybe he'd done it so much that season that he felt comfortable enough to do it on the biggest play of our season with everything he worked for on line.   I know which one I would bet on when I step back and look at the situation.... 

Edited by Bull Dozer
  • Upvote 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,608
  • Content Count:  74,428
  • Days Won:  422

11 hours ago, USFBulls727 said:

My posting of that link was in response to Trip saying:

"There's no evidence that I've heard/seen to support the assertion that Q "freelanced" (I assume meaning he audibled out of hb dives) his way to 49 points and 2 school passing game records (to go along with his 2 school passing season records) in the UCF game."

I believe that RaiderBull mentioned the UCF game in 2017 that Q did a lot of this. I have no idea if that's true, but I remembered the title of that thread about Flowers "Going Rogue", so DJ's quote provides at least a small shred of evidence. As for your "The horror" comment, no horror at all. That was a huge play in that game, and the audible worked in that case. Couldn't tell you though how much Q's audibles lead to the 49 points and 2 passing game records that day. I just remember that 2 point conversion was Q's idea.

I actually remembered that quote but wasn't sure what game it was .....nice find ...... but I do doubt that he spent the whole game doing that. All I'm saying is that saying that Gilbert wasted Q's last year is ridiculous considering how the year evolved. If the Tulsa game had been the year killer, I wouldn't be saying a whole lot.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,797
  • Days Won:  0

50 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I actually remembered that quote but wasn't sure what game it was .....nice find ...... but I do doubt that he spent the whole game doing that. All I'm saying is that saying that Gilbert wasted Q's last year is ridiculous considering how the year evolved. If the Tulsa game had been the year killer, I wouldn't be saying a whole lot.

The evidence was there that Gilbert stifled Q. If it wasn’t for his running ability the offense would have sucked as much as this year. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,608
  • Content Count:  74,428
  • Days Won:  422

2 hours ago, Bullrush33 said:

The evidence was there that Gilbert stifled Q. If it wasn’t for his running ability the offense would have sucked as much as this year. 

Yet Q set/tied USF game and season passing records ...

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,703
  • Days Won:  6

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

Yet Q set/tied USF game and season passing records ...

Because of he and King doing their own thing, audibling and freelancing much of the time.

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

10 hours ago, Bull Dozer said:

Sometimes kids are just transcendent and make plays despite being put in bad situations over and over again.   That was who Flowers was while at USF.  He could take an absolutely bad play call and turn it into something spectacular.  Let's not act like Flowers was just playing within the confines of the offense to get those stats, he was doing ridiculous things after bad play calls broke down and turning them into big plays or at the minimum modest gains or non-negative plays (I could go on and on why that offense is dead in the water when it gets behind schedule but i digress).  That's what he did all season and why Gilbert's offense was so bad after he didn't have Flowers anymore.  The kids who played for him are telling you exactly who Gilbert is now that he's gone too.  You're right though he didn't waste Flowers senior year.  He **** sure tried but Flowers is the kind of player who controls his own destiny after the snap because his ability to make chicken salad out of chicken **** is second to none.  

Also, maybe Flowers just has balls bigger than beach balls and that was his first time ignoring Gilbert on that 2 pt conversion, or maybe he'd done it so much that season that he felt comfortable enough to do it on the biggest play of our season with everything he worked for on line.   I know which one I would bet on when I step back and look at the situation.... 

This sums it up perfectly.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

20 minutes ago, USFRaider said:

Because of he and King doing their own thing, audibling and freelancing much of the time.

King the running backs coach?......

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

22 minutes ago, USFRaider said:

Which they did when Willie was coach too...it’s how they always played.