• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF is considering discontinuing the football program

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Just now, JTrue said:

Same as it was in 1919.

That’s a fair point...but the teams were vastly different. 

4 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Definitely longer than the Rays 

They gone

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

39 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

That’s a fair point...but the teams were vastly different. 

Even if we use the most liberal counting methods available AND include teams that don't even field football teams anymore AND we close our eyes AND wish real hard AND include polls that don't even exist anymore AND we let UCF have one...60 teams have ever won a national championship out of the well over 300 schools that have ever played what could be considered D1 football. That means more than 80% have never had a chance. To get mad about it now is ridiculous. Not completely related, but still emphasizes that college football hasn't changed at all in a long time, here's a an excerpt from a class I taught a few weeks ago that covered college sports. I'll let you fill in the blanks and I've redacted any information that tips anything off.

"In [year], there was an expose done on [coach] and [school] football and the claim was that the athletic department had accumulated a slush fund of about [amount in dollars] from ticket sales and an [yearly amount amount in dollars] student fee. The president of [school] refused to investigate the charges and [coach] declined comment on the matter. The issue was "confirmed" in [year] when [school] opened its 78,000 seat stadium, the [name of stadium]."

Edited by JTrue

3 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Even if we use the most liberal counting methods available AND include teams that don't even field football teams anymore AND we close our eyes AND wish real hard AND include polls that don't even exist anymore AND we let UCF have one...60 teams have ever won a national championship out of the well over 300 schools that have ever played what could be considered D1 football. That means more than 80% have never had a chance. To get mad about it now is ridiculous. Not completely related, but still emphasizes that college football hasn't changed at all in a long time, here's a an excerpt from a class I taught a few weeks ago that covered college sports. I'll let you fill in the blanks and I've redacted any information that tips anything off.

"In [year], there was an expose done on [coach] and [school] football and the claim was that the athletic department had accumulated a slush fund of about [amount in dollars] from ticket sales and an [yearly amount amount in dollars] student fee. The president of [school] refused to investigate the charges and [coach] declined comment on the matter. The issue was "confirmed" in [year] when [school] opened its 78,000 seat stadium, the [name of stadium]."

I was never “mad” about it...my point is that it just contributes to the malaise which is USF football specifically and college football generally. I’ll watch no matter what, but many will not regardless if they know the factual info you presented or not. I wish I could discuss the information in my classes that you do in yours, but people up here don’t give two violation about college football. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Just now, NewEnglandBull said:

I was never “mad” about it...my point is that it just contributes to the malaise which is USF football specifically and college football generally. I’ll watch no matter what, but many will not regardless if they know the factual info you presented or not. I wish I could discuss the information in my classes that you do in yours, but people up here don’t give two violation about college football. 

My point was mostly that the haves and have nots have existed for a long time. Nothing that's happening now is new.

9 minutes ago, JTrue said:

My point was mostly that the haves and have nots have existed for a long time. Nothing that's happening now is new.

Agreed

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  96,972
  • Days Won:  469

4 hours ago, Calibull said:

People are acting like we were in a Power conference for a long time... even then the Big East was looked at as a inferior football conference.  Schools couldn't wait to bail from that conference.  The AAC is fine for now... we got a little taste of the pie.  But we're not less relevant than we were then.  The American is a decent conference.. like the Big East it's looked at as better than other G-5 conferences but inferior to the Power 5. Nothing has changed except the money.  If that's what you're ******** about, then you have a point.  But in terms of quality of play,  it's about the same as the Big East. 

Minus some BigTen, ACC and Big12 teams. 

• Upvote 1
  • ???? 1

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

7 hours ago, JTrue said:

You’re forgetting the part about not having a TV contract and no income.

Exactly. Last I heard (1-2 years ago), the football program brought in $9 mil a year, with about $12 mil in expenses. Wonder what those numbers might look like in the coming years with the new TV deal that will make us approximately $7 mil a year, compared to no TV deal as an independent...

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,454
  • Days Won:  25

10 hours ago, JTrue said:

Sounds a lot like life.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

8 hours ago, Brad said:

Minus some BigTen, ACC and Big12 teams. 

But we replaced them with other teams that came from football conferences too, so pretty much the same thing only different.