• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

New AAC Media Rights Deal with ESPN Announced

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

19 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

and that is a legitimate point

It is a legit point. But how sad is it that our trump card seems to be that we can sign a 12 year contract because we know the conference won't be here for 12 years because a half dozen teams are looking to bolt?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  930
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, BullyPulpit said:

I do really enjoy watching the overreaction and disgust. If I had known so many on here had the intimate details on the negotiations, I would have asked how things were going weeks ago. For those of you that were there with Aresco when ESPN pantsed him and took his lunch money, what was the best offer that he turned down? 

"Big East presidents turned down a multiyear offer from ESPN that was reportedly worth $150 million a year"  off the top of my head I dont remember how many schools there were. fwiw

I'm not a huge fan of the deal for the dollar amount and length.  But as people have said without more information maybe it is the best the AAC could do. I was hoping for a Hulu streaming type thing to happen. 

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

2 minutes ago, beefy620 said:

"Big East presidents turned down a multiyear offer from ESPN that was reportedly worth $150 million a year"  off the top of my head I dont remember how many schools there were. fwiw

This happened in 2011 and blew up in the conference's face when realignment took place. In fact, I would be willing to bet that realignment occurred because the Big East spurned ESPN's offer, so the powers-that-be in Bristol assured the conference's destruction. 

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

Just now, beefy620 said:

I'm not a huge fan of the deal for the dollar amount and length.  But as people have said without more information maybe it is the best the AAC could do. I was hoping for a Hulu streaming type thing to happen. 

The problem with streaming is that it is a youth targeted, youth dominated market and the youth has not shown the same level of interest and commitment in following real sports as previous generations. None of the streaming services want to be the first to lose their ass on a media rights deal for sports content. Some have dipped their toe in the pool (Amazon with the NFL) but we have yet to see a real commitment from anyone. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

This happened in 2011 and blew up in the conference's face when realignment took place. In fact, I would be willing to bet that realignment occurred because the Big East spurned ESPN's offer, so the powers-that-be in Bristol assured the conference's destruction. 

I was just answering the question you posited.  I agree, I am positive turning down that deal is the major contributing factor the the BE implosion.  He turned down a decent deal, trying to get an amazing deal.  Hard to believe we're still getting less than what we would have made from that one, not even factoring in inflation. 

2 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

The problem with streaming is that it is a youth targeted, youth dominated market and the youth has not shown the same level of interest and commitment in following real sports as previous generations. None of the streaming services want to be the first to lose their ass on a media rights deal for sports content. Some have dipped their toe in the pool (Amazon with the NFL) but we have yet to see a real commitment from anyone. 

Valid point.  It was just my personal preference, thought it made sense.  At least for me it would, but I'm a biologist not a marketing/tv/whatever guy lol

• Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

3 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Bro? Ok..dude. In terms of your “facts” please try and compare apples and oranges before getting people all excited for this piece of **** deal. Yes I would be all for a 12 year deal for the $3 bil deal the PAC12 is getting. @puc86is right this conference is micky mouse and I’ll be shocked if it holds together past the contract length. Tulsa and Tulane must be laughing their asses off at their good fortune.

LOL.  Does putting quotes around the word facts somehow change the reality that you said no cfb conference made a 12 yr deal, and I responded by providing proof one had? 

If proving a single statement wrong isn't "apples to apples" for you, it's because you're too proud to admit you were wrong.  So I can only assume you'll continue making up whatever you want in this thread (and conflating that with some actual truths) to justify your rage. Since I have no desire to see that I'll just see myself out.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

How does this compare to deals by other G5 conferences?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Content Count:  7,630
  • Days Won:  6

1 hour ago, beefy620 said:

If I remember correctly, the 8 football schools were to get twice as much as the 8 basketball schools.  I'm no math giant, but I think that would have meant approximately $12.4 million per year to each football school and $6.2 million per year to each basketball school.  My recollection was that the Pitt president persuaded the others we could do better while liyng through his teeth because he knew they were bolting soon.

Edited by 79 Bull

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

18 minutes ago, Triple B said:

How does this compare to deals by other G5 conferences?

I'd be interested to see how it compares to the Mountain West....