Hi Guest,

Just a note to point out our TBP-initiated drive to raise funds for the Bulls Football IPF - doing our share, and more.  Please consider donating at least $23 to the effort, and passing on to others as well.  You can read more about the project at the link above.  

ipfrenderinside.jpg

Go Bulls!

Thank you,

Brad Brad
  • Join Today

Join today and reduce ads presented

• Members do not see this ad, Register today
Sign in to follow this  
Brad

Entered the world of bourbon last night

We will be in Kentucky, next week. The plan is to visit the Four Roses, Wild Turkey, and Woodford distilleries one day on the trip. I had planned on Buffalo Trace, as well, but that's not going to work out. 

I've found myself trading Ybor City distilled vodka for bourbon, now. I'm taking Fat Dog's Touch and Nirvana with me. 

On 5/7/2019 at 11:29 AM, swamprat said:

We will be in Kentucky, next week. The plan is to visit the Four Roses, Wild Turkey, and Woodford distilleries one day on the trip. I had planned on Buffalo Trace, as well, but that's not going to work out. 

I've found myself trading Ybor City distilled vodka for bourbon, now. I'm taking Fat Dog's Touch and Nirvana with me. 

We didn’t stop at any distilleries this trip,  because during Derby Week they are way too crowded for my liking.   Enjoy your trip!

If you want to get off the beaten path and you're near Louisville, I recommend Peerless:

https://kentuckypeerless.com/

Interesting story, as they were able to revive granddads old distilling license from the 1900's. And their rye is outstanding.

Also, Kentucky Artisan Distillers is Crestwood is great. They make Jefferson's, but my favorite there is Whiskey Row which I'm fairly certain you can only find in Kentucky. There's also a brewery next door.

https://kentuckyartisandistillery.com/

What the heck were you doing drinking Vodka?  Very disappointed in you.  And you missed our tasting because of this trip. I don't know about you Swamprat.  I had picked up some different bourbons over the past year to try to have something different for the party.  There were a couple finished in wine barrels, Isaac Bowman and Amador.  Picked up Longbranch (a collaboration between Jimmy Russell and Mathew McConahey), Old Forrestor 1870.  Silver Bull brought a bottle of the OF 1920 which I've had in the past and enjoyed.

1 hour ago, George Jenkins said:

If you want to get off the beaten path and you're near Louisville, I recommend Peerless:

https://kentuckypeerless.com/

Interesting story, as they were able to revive granddads old distilling license from the 1900's. And their rye is outstanding.

Also, Kentucky Artisan Distillers is Crestwood is great. They make Jefferson's, but my favorite there is Whiskey Row which I'm fairly certain you can only find in Kentucky. There's also a brewery next door.

https://kentuckyartisandistillery.com/

Amazing how people's tastes vary.  Tried Peerless at the Bourbon Classic back in Louisville in Feb and didn't like. The funny thing is we were hanging out with a group of people and turned out they were from Peerless including the Master Distiller.  I'm not a heavy rye guy in most cases.  Their bourbon should be out sometime this year IIRC.  Guessing it will be a high rye Mashbill.

Haven't been to the Artisan Distillers yet.  Is that down near Bardstown?  Or am I thinking 1792?  

19 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Amazing how people's tastes vary.  Tried Peerless at the Bourbon Classic back in Louisville in Feb and didn't like. The funny thing is we were hanging out with a group of people and turned out they were from Peerless including the Master Distiller.  I'm not a heavy rye guy in most cases.  Their bourbon should be out sometime this year IIRC.  Guessing it will be a high rye Mashbill.

Haven't been to the Artisan Distillers yet.  Is that down near Bardstown?  Or am I thinking 1792?  

To each their own. Kentucky Artisan Distillery is in Crestwood, about 20 minutes up 71 from downtown Louisville.

1 hour ago, George Jenkins said:

To each their own. Kentucky Artisan Distillery is in Crestwood, about 20 minutes up 71 from downtown Louisville.

Had to look it up on the map to find Crestwood.  Definitely doable if we rent a car next time up there.  Most times we just Uber around but if we don't stay downtown we would rent.

21 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Had to look it up on the map to find Crestwood.  Definitely doable if we rent a car next time up there.  Most times we just Uber around but if we don't stay downtown we would rent.

My wife is from Oldham county (where Crestwood is, the next county over from Jefferson). It's funny because I can remember about 10 years or so ago, it was a dry county like many places in Kentucky were. I still feel strange drinking there, much less going on a distllery tour.

14 minutes ago, George Jenkins said:

My wife is from Oldham county (where Crestwood is, the next county over from Jefferson). It's funny because I can remember about 10 years or so ago, it was a dry county like many places in Kentucky were. I still feel strange drinking there, much less going on a distllery tour.

Think the county in TN where they make Jack Daniels is still dry.  Can't remember if they allowed a tasting or not.

14 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

What the heck were you doing drinking Vodka?  Very disappointed in you.  And you missed our tasting because of this trip. I don't know about you Swamprat.  I had picked up some different bourbons over the past year to try to have something different for the party.  There were a couple finished in wine barrels, Isaac Bowman and Amador.  Picked up Longbranch (a collaboration between Jimmy Russell and Mathew McConahey), Old Forrestor 1870.  Silver Bull brought a bottle of the OF 1920 which I've had in the past and enjoyed.

Didn't say I drank it, just using it as trade bait. I have a connection to Fat Dog, and I like to promote the TBA as much as I can. Mrs. S drinks it, though, and my daughter loves Touch.

I dearly regret missing your tasting. They are always fun and the selection of bourbons interesting. I was going to bring those Virgil Cane's I picked up, too. 

Sign in to follow this