Jump to content
  • Join Today

    Join today and reduce ads presented

  • Members do not see this ad
Triple B

Leap of faith preceded USF men’s vault to respectability

Recommended Posts

Brian Gregory never saw Justin Brown, David Collins or Alexis Yetna play in person before signing them

image.thumb.png.386ceb05d0c244705ae1b97bd23ad930.png

Published Yesterday
Updated Yesterday

TAMPA ― With each USF men’s basketball victory, the anecdote elicits more chuckles and less sympathy.

Brian Gregory has shared it often. At his first meeting as Bulls coach two springs ago, 11 players showed up. By the next meeting, four remained. The April signing period ― the late period ― was roughly a month away. With fewer bodies on board than Hickory High, Gregory and his staff had to work, and fast.

“We couldn’t be choosy during that time,” he said.

But they could be strategic. Gregory wanted at least three graduate transfers to help with the present, three freshmen to help for the future, and three “best available” prospects. The freshmen who ultimately signed: guards Justin Brown and David Collins, and forward Alexis Yetna.

“I had never seen any of 'em play live, ever,” Gregory said Monday.

“No one on the staff had seen 'em play live. We went out in the spring and got to see some open gyms, but we did a lot of film study on 'em, and that can get you some evaluation. But a lot was based on recommendations from their coaches and from other guys that had seen 'em and different things like that.”

Rest of article

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Triple B said:

Brian Gregory never saw Justin Brown, David Collins or Alexis Yetna play in person before signing them

image.thumb.png.386ceb05d0c244705ae1b97bd23ad930.png

Published Yesterday
Updated Yesterday

TAMPA ― With each USF men’s basketball victory, the anecdote elicits more chuckles and less sympathy.

Brian Gregory has shared it often. At his first meeting as Bulls coach two springs ago, 11 players showed up. By the next meeting, four remained. The April signing period ― the late period ― was roughly a month away. With fewer bodies on board than Hickory High, Gregory and his staff had to work, and fast.

“We couldn’t be choosy during that time,” he said.

But they could be strategic. Gregory wanted at least three graduate transfers to help with the present, three freshmen to help for the future, and three “best available” prospects. The freshmen who ultimately signed: guards Justin Brown and David Collins, and forward Alexis Yetna.

“I had never seen any of 'em play live, ever,” Gregory said Monday.

“No one on the staff had seen 'em play live. We went out in the spring and got to see some open gyms, but we did a lot of film study on 'em, and that can get you some evaluation. But a lot was based on recommendations from their coaches and from other guys that had seen 'em and different things like that.”

Rest of article

 

Antigua offered both of them, so that's two good things he did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yetna tape was great. I could tell he was going to play well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The headline is misleading.  He saw them play, just not in person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Basketball Jones said:

Antigua offered both of them, so that's two good things he did.

Antigua didn't have a problem getting talent to sign on. The challenge with his teams was getting that talent to play well together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, &rew Bull said:

Antigua didn't have a problem getting talent to sign on. The challenge with his teams was getting that talent to play well together.

And getting that talent to the Court.  It seemed we never had a full team, always short handed. 

Thank god those days are over!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were bad when they said let's do this 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...