• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Leap of faith preceded USF men’s vault to respectability

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,452
  • Days Won:  422

Brian Gregory never saw Justin Brown, David Collins or Alexis Yetna play in person before signing them

image.thumb.png.386ceb05d0c244705ae1b97bd23ad930.png

Published Yesterday
Updated Yesterday

TAMPA ― With each USF men’s basketball victory, the anecdote elicits more chuckles and less sympathy.

Brian Gregory has shared it often. At his first meeting as Bulls coach two springs ago, 11 players showed up. By the next meeting, four remained. The April signing period ― the late period ― was roughly a month away. With fewer bodies on board than Hickory High, Gregory and his staff had to work, and fast.

“We couldn’t be choosy during that time,” he said.

But they could be strategic. Gregory wanted at least three graduate transfers to help with the present, three freshmen to help for the future, and three “best available” prospects. The freshmen who ultimately signed: guards Justin Brown and David Collins, and forward Alexis Yetna.

“I had never seen any of 'em play live, ever,” Gregory said Monday.

“No one on the staff had seen 'em play live. We went out in the spring and got to see some open gyms, but we did a lot of film study on 'em, and that can get you some evaluation. But a lot was based on recommendations from their coaches and from other guys that had seen 'em and different things like that.”

Rest of article

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  399
  • Days Won:  0

13 hours ago, Triple B said:

Brian Gregory never saw Justin Brown, David Collins or Alexis Yetna play in person before signing them

image.thumb.png.386ceb05d0c244705ae1b97bd23ad930.png

Published Yesterday
Updated Yesterday

TAMPA ― With each USF men’s basketball victory, the anecdote elicits more chuckles and less sympathy.

Brian Gregory has shared it often. At his first meeting as Bulls coach two springs ago, 11 players showed up. By the next meeting, four remained. The April signing period ― the late period ― was roughly a month away. With fewer bodies on board than Hickory High, Gregory and his staff had to work, and fast.

“We couldn’t be choosy during that time,” he said.

But they could be strategic. Gregory wanted at least three graduate transfers to help with the present, three freshmen to help for the future, and three “best available” prospects. The freshmen who ultimately signed: guards Justin Brown and David Collins, and forward Alexis Yetna.

“I had never seen any of 'em play live, ever,” Gregory said Monday.

“No one on the staff had seen 'em play live. We went out in the spring and got to see some open gyms, but we did a lot of film study on 'em, and that can get you some evaluation. But a lot was based on recommendations from their coaches and from other guys that had seen 'em and different things like that.”

Rest of article

Antigua offered both of them, so that's two good things he did.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,508
  • Days Won:  28

Yetna tape was great. I could tell he was going to play well. 

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

The headline is misleading.  He saw them play, just not in person.

• Topic Count:  91
  • Content Count:  1,716
  • Days Won:  9

12 hours ago, Basketball Jones said:

Antigua offered both of them, so that's two good things he did.

Antigua didn't have a problem getting talent to sign on. The challenge with his teams was getting that talent to play well together.

Guest Jonesy Bull
1 hour ago, &rew Bull said:

Antigua didn't have a problem getting talent to sign on. The challenge with his teams was getting that talent to play well together.

And getting that talent to the Court.  It seemed we never had a full team, always short handed. 

Thank god those days are over!

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

We were bad when they said let's do this