• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls Play at Jacksonville and Bethune-Cookman In Midweek Contests 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

28 minutes ago, JoeB said:

Not pretty but its a Win.  Need to take care of Dartmouth this weekend.  Anything less than 2 wins will be a major disappointment

If all we can get is two over a team in the middle of nowhere NewEngland we should  shut the program down....

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

7 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

If all we can get is two over a team in the middle of nowhere NewEngland we should  shut the program down....

It's baseball, you don't win them all

Just now, chapelbull said:

It's baseball, you don't win them all

You better win more than two over friggin Dartmouth...

• Upvote 1

Just now, NewEnglandBull said:

You better win more than two over friggin Dartmouth...

You only play 3.  Just win series and we will be fine

4 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Same old story...USF baseball should be the most dominant sport on campus but never is....

Why?

8 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

You only play 3.  Just win series and we will be fine

Why?

I don’t think you know much about Dartmouth but I suspect some high school teams in FL could take one game against them. Can’t win them all you say...well this is one series (like WMU) you should. Are you suggesting that USF baseball has not underachieved for the past thirty years? I can’t even remember when we won a conference championship...there is baseball talent all around and every year it is a first round exit....this years team probably not even going to make ncaa tourney.

Edited by NewEnglandBull

4 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I don’t think you know much about Dartmouth but I suspect some high school teams in FL could take one game against them. Can’t win them all you say...well this is one series (like WMU) you should. Are you suggesting that USF baseball has not underachieved for the past thirty years? I can’t even remember when we won a conference championship...there is baseball talent all around and every year it is a first round exit....this years team probably not even going to make ncaa tourney.

I'm saying it's baseball and bad teams beat even the best of teams.  You're talking about shutting the program down if we lose one and two weeks ago we manhandled Top 5 UF.  Underachieved?  I guess you can say that if you want, but that isn't what you originally said.  Sure there is lots of talent around here, but we're also competing with several D-1 programs in the state including 3 very high profiled and several that are just as well positioned as us.  On top of that, top teams throughout the county come to the state and bay area to pluck the top talent.

So again, why SHOULD baseball be the most dominant team on campus?

2 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

I'm saying it's baseball and bad teams beat even the best of teams.  You're talking about shutting the program down if we lose one and two weeks ago we manhandled Top 5 UF.  Underachieved?  I guess you can say that if you want, but that isn't what you originally said.  Sure there is lots of talent around here, but we're also competing with several D-1 programs in the state including 3 very high profiled and several that are just as well positioned as us.  On top of that, top teams throughout the county come to the state and bay area to pluck the top talent.

So again, why SHOULD baseball be the most dominant team on campus?

Obviously my quote on shutting it down and as facetious it in making a point.  Beating UF is looking kind of fluky. I realize there is competition but we have been around longer than many. I guess my frustration was the program not taking advantage of lesser competition in the 1980s and establishing themselves at that time (again more than a first round bounce). It is, in my opinion, ridiculous that this program has not done more.

note: it’s been a ****** day and I am probably overreacting some...but for Christ sakes we should sweep Dartmouth.

Probably should sweep Dartmouth, but it isn't a given and there has always been competition for players in the area.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

USF ATHLETICS GoUSFBulls.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Web Link: http://bit.ly/2UEUVOY 

Pair of Two-Run Homers Gives USF Extra-Innings Win at Bethune
The Bulls scored four runs in the top of the 10thto get by the Wildcats, 7-4

DAYTONA BEACH, FLA., MARCH 13, 2019 – The USF baseball team scored the final seven runs, including four in the top of the 10th to win an extra-innings clash at Bethune-Cookman Wednesday night, 7-4.

The Wildcats plated runs every other inning, striking in the first, third and fifth to lead 3-0 in the top of the sixth. The Bulls finally began to threaten with back-to-back singles off the bats of seniors Kyle Phillips (Orlando) and Joe Genord (Lake Worth, Fla.). Junior Austin Bodrato (Northvale, N.J.) walked to load the bases with one out.

Senior Chris Chatfield (Riverview, Fla.) hit a comebacker to the pitcher in the next at-bat. The pitcher threw home to get Phillips out on a force, but the throw to first in an attempt to double-up Chatfield was errand, and Genord scored to get USF on the board to add to his big night.

Two batters later, freshman Dylan Buck (Lakewood Ranch, Fla.) singled to right to tie the game. Junior lefty Noah Yager (Davie, Fla.) held onto the tie with 2.2 scoreless frames. Classmate and righty Nelson Alvarez (Miami) entered with two away in the eighth and struck out the first of what would be seven Wildcats.

Alvarez struck out the side in the ninth, setting USF up in the 10th. Phillips singled to lead off the inning, then Genord launched his fifth homer of the season to left. Three batters later, Tyler Dietrich (Naples, Fla.) hit a two-run shot of his own to left, making it 7-3. The Wildcats got one back in the bottom half, but Alvarez put the finishing touches on the game, striking out the side once more.

Key Stats

11 – 11 Bulls have hit home runs this season.  
5 – Genord’s fifth home run of the year and 36thcareer. 
4 – Genord’s career high four hits. 

Nota-Bulls

·   Alvarez retired seven Wildcats, all with the strikeout.

·   Genord finished 4-for-5 with a homer, two RBI and two runs.

·   Phillips went 2-for-5 with a run.

·   Buck finished 2-for-4 with two RBI.

Up Next

The Bulls return to Tampa for a three-game series with Dartmouth beginning Friday at 7 p.m.

Guest Jonesy Bull

I realize that we have unforeseen injuries that have happened this year to our pitching staff, which hurts us "this year".  Those things are unfortunate and can't be predicted.

But to "New England's" point, I'm in agreement that overall it seems that we should have a better baseball program in general than we do.  I know we have made NCAA Regionals (so we are definitely not terrible by any stretch).  However, it never seems that we can get ourselves to the next level.  I assumed once we got the new facilities that we would see more of a jump....Having said that, I get that the Florida and Florida States of the world will always get the best the players, but it still seems like we should be better than we are being a large school in the State of Florida in a pretty good baseball conference.

Is this a case of just not great recruiting, not great coaching, player development, bad luck?  Any opinions?