• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is anyone excited for next season?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

On 3/2/2019 at 6:30 PM, USFBULL_08 said:

Between crappy/average recruiting and lackluster results last season I'm not too excited for the upcoming season.

Why should I be?

We didn't have crappy recruiting, though.  We just didn't sign anyone on the main national signing day which is ok.  Just because we're not in the top 3 doesn't mean we didn't get guys that can contribute.  

To answer your question, yes I'm excited.  I think this program will have a better core than last year, and I truly think that Gilbert being gone is going to have a big impact. 

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,513
  • Days Won:  28

1 minute ago, OcalaBull2 said:

We didn't have crappy recruiting, though.  We just didn't sign anyone on the main national signing day which is ok.  Just because we're not in the top 3 doesn't mean we didn't get guys that can contribute.  

To answer your question, yes I'm excited.  I think this program will have a better core than last year, and I truly think that Gilbert being gone is going to have a big impact. 

B/W the 39th  ranked recruiting class (Virginia) and USF (77th), we pretty  much the same about of 3 stars as the other teams. Many of these teams have higher recruiting rankings simply b/c they pulled in 1 or 2  four star players....not b/c they have a better class.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/ 

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

41 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

B/W the 39th  ranked recruiting class (Virginia) and USF (77th), we pretty  much the same about of 3 stars as the other teams. Many of these teams have higher recruiting rankings simply b/c they pulled in 1 or 2  four star players....not b/c they have a better class.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/ 

Exactly. We land 1 four star and this would be a completely different conversation. It’s all about on field production, see Johnny Ford for reference. This guy easily has 4 start talent. 

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

On 3/2/2019 at 8:49 PM, NewEnglandBull said:

CFB season is six months away...back to my nap...

Same. Talk to me in August about being excited. Then maybe I might be.

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

On 3/3/2019 at 12:22 AM, USFBulls727 said:

I doubt 7-6 gets him another year, but who knows. IIRC, Kelly preached patience, and that he believed in Charlie was a great fit. I thought we were Holtz era bad, and were lucky to win 7 games (remember Tulsa?). Even UConn pushed us to the limit. If 2019 turns out to be another crap year, hopefully we can afford to fire him, because if we want to increase the fan base, we definitely can't afford to keep putting a crap product out there.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/usf-bulls/2018/11/30/usfs-athletic-director-remains-calm-amid-calls-for-change/

If Strong's contract really is the ancient mariner's albatross around Kelly's neck and his whole salary is the buyout as rumoured that's gonna be a tough call to make.

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,251
  • Days Won:  1

I don’t put much stock into class rankings. A good coach can always coach up the talent regardless of how many stars he was.