Hi Guest,

Just a note to point out our TBP-initiated drive to raise funds for the Bulls Football IPF - doing our share, and more.  Please consider donating at least $23 to the effort, and passing on to others as well.  You can read more about the project at the link above.  

ipfrenderinside.jpg

Go Bulls!

Thank you,

Brad Brad
  • Join Today

Join today and reduce ads presented

• Members do not see this ad, Register today
Sign in to follow this  
NewEnglandBull

This is what became of Mike Ford...

I’m actually glad he’s trying something productive.

Dude had some terrible habits in college 💨.

Big Mike Ford with the KO in the 2nd. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Big Mike Ford with the KO in the 2nd. 

Happy for him getting the win. However, he was TKO'd by a fighter with a 17-42 record in his previous fight. Not an easy sport to jump into in your 30's. Wish him the best though.

http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/794616

On 3/1/2019 at 10:11 PM, NewEnglandBull said:

At some point he will have to get a real job....to bad he does not have that college degree. 

He's hanging drywall when he's not boxing. Seems pretty real to me (I'm in the construction industry). I have 20+ guys working for me between the two warehouses I oversee making $50K (the helpers) to $100K (lead installers) a year installing spray foam insulation on a daily basis (which goes hand in hand with drywall). It's blue collar work, but it pays more than most teachers with a four-year degree that aren't teaching at a university level. Is it honest, back breaking work? Yes. Do they get three months off a year? No. Having worked in both professions (worked at a charter school in AZ), I'd rather hang sheet rock or install insulation than teach today's kids once you consider the parents you have to deal with (unless I'm a professor at the college level like yourself - totally different IMO).

Not knocking you NewEnglandBull, however listening to any of Mike Ford's interviews while he was in college pretty much indicated he was in college to play football - nothing else. How he even got into USF or Colorado blows my mind (but IMO colleges are overpriced and take anyone and everyone as long as they can get a student loan). I run across guys like Mike Ford everyday in the field. They aren't intelligent enough to get through school, however they make great tradesman when they apply themselves because they tend to have a solid work ethic.

Great for Mike getting a KO. Would love to see him make it in boxing, get a payday, and then invest it wisely to ease his future financially. Not sure if that is in the cards, but will always hope for the best for fellow Bulls.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, The Sheriff said:

He's hanging drywall when he's not boxing. Seems pretty real to me (I'm in the construction industry). I have 20+ guys working for me between the two warehouses I oversee making $50K (the helpers) to $100K (lead installers) a year installing spray foam insulation on a daily basis (which goes hand in hand with drywall). It's blue collar work, but it pays more than most teachers with a four-year degree that aren't teaching at a university level. Is it honest, back breaking work? Yes. Do they get three months off a year? No. Having worked in both professions (worked at a charter school in AZ), I'd rather hang sheet rock or install insulation than teach today's kids once you consider the parents you have to deal with (unless I'm a professor at the college level like yourself - totally different IMO).

Not knocking you NewEnglandBull, however listening to any of Mike Ford's interviews while he was in college pretty much indicated he was in college to play football - nothing else. How he even got into USF or Colorado blows my mind (but IMO colleges are overpriced and take anyone and everyone as long as they can get a student loan). I run across guys like Mike Ford everyday in the field. They aren't intelligent enough to get through school, however they make great tradesman when they apply themselves because they tend to have a solid work ethic.

Great for Mike getting a KO. Would love to see him make it in boxing, get a payday, and then invest it wisely to ease his future financially. Not sure if that is in the cards, but will always hope for the best for fellow Bulls.  

That’s fair enough sheriff. However do keep in mind some pretty interesting research: 

1. Pay difference from a college degree holder to a high school degree is around $17,500 a year. Multiply that out over a 40 year period and it adds up.

2. College degree holders typically have a more stable retirement in terms financing.

3. None college degree individuals have longer durations of unemployment and typically have a harder time getting employment after an economic downturn.

4. College grads are healthier than non college grads (due to health insurance availability and less physical stress).

Is college for everyone? Absolutely not and Ford is doing what is best for him and I wish him well. You are correct colleges are indeed overpriced and there are multiple reason (tenure faculty, bloated number of administrators, supply/demand issues impacting textbook costs, etc.). However, the investment relative to the return (assuming you are not majoring in something obscure) is still worth it. If I could do it again I would in a heartbeat...plus there is all of that tail to chase while a college student...😁 

Edited by NewEnglandBull
  • Like 1

The last line of your post is what college was truly about for me and many others. Getting through the academic aspect of it was part of the daily grind to meet the end goal (having a degree so I could get hired). 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Sheriff said:

He's hanging drywall when he's not boxing. Seems pretty real to me (I'm in the construction industry). I have 20+ guys working for me between the two warehouses I oversee making $50K (the helpers) to $100K (lead installers) a year installing spray foam insulation on a daily basis (which goes hand in hand with drywall). It's blue collar work, but it pays more than most teachers with a four-year degree that aren't teaching at a university level. Is it honest, back breaking work? Yes. Do they get three months off a year? No. Having worked in both professions (worked at a charter school in AZ), I'd rather hang sheet rock or install insulation than teach today's kids once you consider the parents you have to deal with (unless I'm a professor at the college level like yourself - totally different IMO)

As long as all those blue collar workers you've got have good medical insurance and some sort of retirement program, I agree with pretty much all of that. Having also worked in the construction industry, albeit many moons ago, that wasn't the norm for most in those professions. Hopefully Mike has that covered.

I run across guys like Mike Ford everyday in the field. They aren't intelligent enough to get through school,

or, like in MF's case intelligent enough to grasp all the nuances of a playbook, which is why he didn't get the playing time some think he should have.

In the end, he's utilizing his athleticism as long as he can. He does not have 2 be Mike Tyson to make money in boxing. That plus his drywall work should be great money. He can always go back to school and get his degree and if not should still be able 2 make a good living. All we can do is wish him well and keep it moving. 

I have a terrible feeling we will be hearing about a tragedy associated with him.  All the variables are in place.  I hope I'm wrong.  Best of luck Mike.

On 3/3/2019 at 9:12 AM, The Sheriff said:

Good to hear and glad to hear he's doing well. Pretty cool for him that he gets to box on the side as well, great sport.