• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

365 Days Ago....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

In a basketball galaxy that now seems far, far away....

USF was 8-17 overall and 1-11 in AAC play. The average scoring margin in league games was -16.2 ppg. The team was starting to show signs of life; playing hard and competitive despite their abysmal record, suggesting that CBG had the coaching acumen to turn around a program that couldn't seem to find rock bottom. 

Fast-forward one year and USF has a completely rebuilt roster, but the vestiges of the late season improvement carried over to the current squad. USF now stands at 16-6 overall and 6-4 in AAC play, with an average scoring margin of +4.4 ppg. He may not win National Coach of the Year, but I would challenge anyone to name a coach that is more deserving. 

We are going to enjoy this ride all the way to Madison Square Garden April 2nd through the 4th! 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

9 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

In a basketball galaxy that now seems far, far away....

USF was 8-17 overall and 1-11 in AAC play. The average scoring margin in league games was -16.2 ppg. The team was starting to show signs of life; playing hard and competitive despite their abysmal record, suggesting that CBG had the coaching acumen to turn around a program that couldn't seem to find rock bottom. 

Fast-forward one year and USF has a completely rebuilt roster, but the vestiges of the late season improvement carried over to the current squad. USF now stands at 16-6 overall and 6-4 in AAC play, with an average scoring margin of +4.4 ppg. He may not win National Coach of the Year, but I would challenge anyone to name a coach that is more deserving. 

We are going to enjoy this ride all the way to Madison Square Garden April 2nd through the 4th! 

I will be at MSG if this happens...we would need three wins in the NIT for that happen. Of course, nothing wrong with dreaming about going to the Big Dance either. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,439
  • Days Won:  19

I will just enjoy the journey, wherever it ends this year.   Basketball started being fun again last year watching CBG build from zilch and have initial success.   This year it has been a blast.   Real coaching of real players.  Who knew?

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, SilverBull said:

I will just enjoy the journey, wherever it ends this year.   Basketball started being fun again last year watching CBG build from zilch and have initial success.   This year it has been a blast.   Real coaching of real players.  Who knew?

It certainly has cleaned my pallet after our weak finish in football...

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I will be at MSG if this happens...we would need three wins in the NIT for that happen. Of course, nothing wrong with dreaming about going to the Big Dance either. 

If that happens, all the better. I like having expectations, but I also like having them be somewhat realistic once I have a certain amount of information to go off of. You and I are both of the opinion that even 24 wins probably doesn't get us into the tournament, unless one of those wins is in the AAC Final. I do think 24 or 25 wins could get us a 1 or 2 seed in the NIT and we might be hosting a game or two at the YC, Foam Dome, or whatever other iterations you prefer. 

1 minute ago, BullyPulpit said:

If that happens, all the better. I like having expectations, but I also like having them be somewhat realistic once I have a certain amount of information to go off of. You and I are both of the opinion that even 24 wins probably doesn't get us into the tournament, unless one of those wins is in the AAC Final. I do think 24 or 25 wins could get us a 1 or 2 seed in the NIT and we might be hosting a game or two at the YC, Foam Dome, or whatever other iterations you prefer. 

Completely agree with your assessment. I was not even thinking about NIT homecourt but that is certainly on the table now. If we get 24 wins (including AAC tourney wins) we may have 2 home NIT games which makes the road to MSG reasonable. This is what occurred back in 90s when we were were one win away...had to go on the road for the quarterfinals after two home games...lost to Marquette on a lousy missed free throw.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

The job Brian Gregory has done with what he inherited is truly mind boggling.  The energy and passion this team plays with is amazing!  The future of MBB is very bright!

I wonder if Michael Kelly is making Chuck shadow Brian Gregory for the rest of the season.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

Isn't it amazing how many basketball threads CCS makes his way into. Also worth pointing out that energy and passion have far less to do with this turnaround then the ability to flip the roster in one season. 

Amazing we were picked 11th in the conference by the media...on media day this was BGs reaction...

17831DB0-23BA-4100-A6CF-9351A4BFE8E1.gif

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

3 hours ago, BrassBulls12 said:

Also worth pointing out that energy and passion have far less to do with this turnaround then the ability to flip the roster in one season. 

I think it's an almost an equal combination of all three ...