• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

2019 USF Football Schedule

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

14 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Nathan may do a decent job breaking down game film, however he'll never understand the insight that one appreciates from playing the actual college game in Florida. The biggest advantage USF had coming into the Wisconsin game was a daytime Saturday start. Wisconsin has us on size, depth and talent (some of you might say coaching as well). However the August Tampa heat and humidity is the great equalizer. Having played a college season in Tampa and a college season in Ohio, there's a tremendous difference in conditioning one can prepare for as a player that comes with the areas where you're training for the season (in both instances, I was in peak condition physically).

Playing in the Tampa heat and humidity in August will suck every last bit of life out of you as the afternoon wears on. I remember spending the night with IV's in me after the second day of two-a-days at USF in August because I lost so much weight (22 lbs in two days) and couldn't come close to replenishing the fluids or food necessary to perform at practice by day three (or get cleared to practice by the training staff). I had already gone through winter conditioning, Spring ball and summer conditioning at USF. There was nothing slowing me down... except that Tampa August heat and humidity. 

The Tampa August heat is absolute misery when you're in full pads going 100% play after play. I was 6'1" and 195 lbs at the time going into two-a-days (we had already completed freshman camp for three days) - my body fat was almost non-existent. It didn't matter. Now take a 6'5" - 6'7" lineman weighing between 325 lbs and 350 lbs. It's the first game of the year. You're over-amped to play this game as an 18-24 year old. Those first couple of series, you're throwing everything you got into it, pushing past the conditions of the environment. You're on an absolute high... however the Florida heat and humidity are progressively getting worse as the afternoon drag on. Two hours later, players are dropping like flies. 

The best thing we had going for us was a Saturday daytime start. Saying #TrustTheProcesses is absolutely foolish. I don't care if the students doing the Greek Life thing show up (people will come - it's Wisconsin). This game would be on TV on a Saturday afternoon - we're playing Wisconsin, not McNeese State (oh wait, that game was on TV as well). The biggest advantage we had coming into this game is now being marginalized. No other way to say it. You give us a daytime start, I'm saying our chances of winning this game are over 50/50. Moving it to a nighttime start... 75/25 in favor of Wisconsin. Depth matters... we don't have it. Taking the biggest inherent advantage we had coming into the game away... that hurts.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,669
  • Days Won:  108

11 hours ago, Rex Havoc said:

One of my favorite road trips. Loved the history and traditions. Their fans were also some of the nicest I’ve met. 

They understand it is only a game.  Their priorities are much different than typical fans'.

12 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Interesting...I thought you were always drunk....🤔

Hardly ever.  Put the over/under at 3 times per year.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 hours ago, The Sheriff said:

Nathan may do a decent job breaking down game film, however he'll never understand the insight that one appreciates from playing the actual college game in Florida. The biggest advantage USF had coming into the Wisconsin game was a daytime Saturday start. Wisconsin has us on size, depth and talent (some of you might say coaching as well). However the August Tampa heat and humidity is the great equalizer. Having played a college season in Tampa and a college season in Ohio, there's a tremendous difference in conditioning one can prepare for as a player that comes with the areas where you're training for the season (in both instances, I was in peak condition physically).

Playing in the Tampa heat and humidity in August will suck every last bit of life out of you as the afternoon wears on. I remember spending the night with IV's in me after the second day of two-a-days at USF in August because I lost so much weight (22 lbs in two days) and couldn't come close to replenishing the fluids or food necessary to perform at practice by day three (or get cleared to practice by the training staff). I had already gone through winter conditioning, Spring ball and summer conditioning at USF. There was nothing slowing me down... except that Tampa August heat and humidity. 

The Tampa August heat is absolute misery when you're in full pads going 100% play after play. I was 6'1" and 195 lbs at the time going into two-a-days (we had already completed freshman camp for three days) - my body fat was almost non-existent. It didn't matter. Now take a 6'5" - 6'7" lineman weighing between 325 lbs and 350 lbs. It's the first game of the year. You're over-amped to play this game as an 18-24 year old. Those first couple of series, you're throwing everything you got into it, pushing past the conditions of the environment. You're on an absolute high... however the Florida heat and humidity are progressively getting worse as the afternoon drag on. Two hours later, players are dropping like flies. 

The best thing we had going for us was a Saturday daytime start. Saying #TrustTheProcesses is absolutely foolish. I don't care if the students doing the Greek Life thing show up (people will come - it's Wisconsin). This game would be on TV on a Saturday afternoon - we're playing Wisconsin, not McNeese State (oh wait, that game was on TV as well). The biggest advantage we had coming into this game is now being marginalized. No other way to say it. You give us a daytime start, I'm saying our chances of winning this game are over 50/50. Moving it to a nighttime start... 75/25 in favor of Wisconsin. Depth matters... we don't have it. Taking the biggest inherent advantage we had coming into the game away... that hurts.

Good points but here are the other advantages of Friday:

1. If it was on Saturday at noon there would be 25k of fans there. Now there will at least be 38k-40k.

2. More exposure. USF vs Wisc would have been just another game as week 1 will perhaps be the greatest week 1 in years.

3. Even at 8:00pm on a Friday night it will still be humid as hell in Tampa and could still have an impact on the game. 

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,002
  • Days Won:  38

20 hours ago, flsportsfan83 said:

2 Home games on week nights

Wisconsin on a Friday night and Temple on a Thurs

Wisconsin will be a challenge but I shall make it happen.  

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Looking at other teams in the AAC, it’s pretty easy to surmise that no one from this conference will be going undefeated this year. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  6,181
  • Days Won:  12

59 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

They understand it is only a game.  Their priorities are much different than typical fans'.

I totally agree with this, sports for them is a time to relax and enjoy some entertainment.

The older I get the more I realize it's just a game and shouldn't impact my life like it used to. When I was younger I let a loss ruin my weekend...which was immature.  Obviously I want us to win, but now it's more about the memories I get to have with my family.

Edited by Rex Havoc

48 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Good points but here are the other advantages of Friday:

1. If it was on Saturday at noon there would be 25k of fans there. Now there will at least be 38k-40k.

2. More exposure. USF vs Wisc would have been just another game as week 1 will perhaps be the greatest week 1 in years.

3. Even at 8:00pm on a Friday night it will still be humid as hell in Tampa and could still have an impact on the game. 

Was thinking #3 as well.  Humidity in Ray Jay seems to be worse after dark.

Edited by CousinRicky

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,513
  • Days Won:  28

3 hours ago, The Sheriff said:

Maaaaaaaaaan F*******************k Wisconsin and whatever advantage we lost. Our players better be pissed the f**k off about losing the last 7 games in a row and ready to kick some a$$. 💪 #BullStrong 

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,454
  • Days Won:  25

I know the intensity level is higher in D1 football, but being born and raised in Tampa, and only playing high school football,  I remember at that age the heat and humidity didn't seem to bother us very much. Played a bunch of tournament softball as an adult. It did start to become an issue after about 45. Then playing four games on a weekend in the over 50 league **** near killed me.