• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Interesting Article

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 minutes ago, OcalaBull2 said:

I'm not at all being sensitive about the media.  I have no problem with 90% of the articles written, especially now, but they reach for things to write about sometimes.  As stated before, I didn't say that what they're mentioning is false but there's been a negative feel around TDS for the past year at least.  You're saying that this tagline which introduces the article is taking a positive and turning into a negative?

USF Needs David Collins to Find His Shooting Stroke

Collins has 65 turnovers in 20 games this year. And that’s only part of the problem.

I am saying Collins is not as good as last year and turnovers is key to that fact. 

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

I don't really see the article as "ripping" him or being overly negative. It is acknowledging that DC is one of our leaders and that, hopefully, his offensive efficiency will catch up with his defensive efficiency and help lead the Bulls to a postseason berth. If anyone is friends with DC, please show him this article and let us know what he thinks about it. I would venture to guess that he agrees that he would like to improve his offensive efficiency. 

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

2 hours ago, Triple B said:

Averaging 4 more ppg than he did last season ....

While shooting a much lower % from the field (.497 compared to .381) and behind the 3pt line (.417 to  .297).  Collins has been much less efficient this season even though there is more talent around him.  Basically all of his efficiency numbers are down substantially which means there is some room for improvement.   I Think if you want to chalk that up to teams having film on him and defending him differently, the added wear from the extra minutes (he's up 7mins a game) or him maybe trying to do too much because of the expectations on him this season that's fair.  I get that none of us want anybody to take the air out of the balloon with our unexpected success this season, and there is a huge anti-TDS crowd here, but this is a legitimate concern/question....

Edited by Bull Dozer

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  581
  • Content Count:  22,612
  • Days Won:  108

2 hours ago, Triple B said:

Averaging 4 more ppg than he did last season ....

From the article:

Collins is shooting 38% from the field, 29% from three, and just under 70% from the free throw line this year. That’s an 11% and 12% drop in FG and 3PT from his freshman campaign.

I would call it a shooting slump. He's shooting more FTs to make up the difference.

Edited by CousinRicky
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

While shooting a much lower % from the field (.497 compared to .381) and behind the 3pt line (.417 to  .297).  Collins has been much less efficient this season even though there is more talent around him.  Basically all of his efficiency numbers are down substantially which means there is some room for improvement.   I Think if you want to chalk that up to teams having film on him and defending him differently, the added wear from the extra minutes (he's up 7mins a game) or him maybe trying to do too much because of the expectations on him this season that's fair.  I get that none of us want anybody to take the air out of the balloon with our unexpected success this season, and there is a huge anti-TDS crowd here, but this is a legitimate concern/question....

That's a surprising stat since we seem to have more depth this year.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,605
  • Content Count:  74,216
  • Days Won:  422

4 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

There is such hatred toward the Tampa media that even when something positive is said many turn it around and make s negative. 

I don't think that article, and the reaction to it, has anything to do with the Tampa media. TDS is a fan blog site ...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,605
  • Content Count:  74,216
  • Days Won:  422

3 hours ago, Bull Dozer said:

3 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

I would call it a shooting slump. He's shooting more FTs to make up the difference.

So we apparently do have a difference of opinion when the word 'slump' is used by itself. I assume it to always mean a scoring slump, where it matters, but I guess it can be an efficiency/shooting slump when clarified. Reality, though, is that DC's actual overall contributions to the team have not really dropped off this year compared to last. Obviously he can do better, but saying he has "slumped terribly in his second year in Tampa" and that basically the outcome of the season rests with his performance is melodramatic bs.

13 minutes ago, Triple B said:

So we apparently do have a difference of opinion when the word 'slump' is used by itself. I assume it to always mean a scoring slump, where it matters, but I guess it can be an efficiency/shooting slump when clarified. Reality, though, is that DC's actual overall contributions to the team have not really dropped off this year compared to last. Obviously he can do better, but saying he has "slumped terribly in his second year in Tampa" and that basically the outcome of the season rests with his performance is melodramatic bs.

I'm continuing this only because you enjoy arguing these things (and maybe I do too if truth be told).

So if a player goes out and shoots the ball more in one season at a lower percentage but his total points scored is slightly higher you believe he is contributing the same?  Okee Dokee.  You said it in your prior sentence. Efficiency.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

17 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

I'm continuing this only because you enjoy arguing these things (and maybe I do too if truth be told).

So if a player goes out and shoots the ball more in one season at a lower percentage but his total points scored is slightly higher you believe he is contributing the same?  Okee Dokee.  You said it in your prior sentence. Efficiency.

This. Basketball is about efficiency and maximizing possessions and minutes on the floor. Low efficiency means you are seeing a drop in team production for an individual player. It's not a good concept for a team overall. 

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

6 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

I believe he may have been referring to the improved defense when referring to overall contributions.