• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Baseball Preseason Preview

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

Best performance by a starter we had last season, in the conference tourney when we had to have it no less. We are going to need him to take that next step forward this season. 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  291
  • Content Count:  2,667
  • Days Won:  0

Hadn't seen this posted yet, so here is another preseason prediction. 

https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=16026

Predicted Order of Finish

Overall/conference win-loss records from 2018 indicated | * Denotes projected conference automatic bid

No. Team W L W L
1 East Carolina* 44 18 14 10
2 UConn 37 22 14 10
3 Houston 38 25 16 8
4 UCF 35 21 13 10
5 South Florida 36 22 14 9
6 Wichita State 35 21 9 14
7 Tulane 25 33 9 14
8 Cincinnati 28 28 12 12
9 Memphis 20 36 5 19

Preseason All-Conference Team

Pos. Name Class School Stats/Notes
C  Jacob Washer R-Jr.  East Carolina  .287-6-40; cleanup hitter, juice to all fields
1B  Joe Genord Sr.   South Florida   .306-16-53; big-time juice, middle-of-order bat
2B  Luke Ritter Sr.  Wichita State  .341-6-31; contact-oriented app. w/ some pop
3B  Jared Triolo Jr.   Houston  .344-5-28; 3-hole hitter, raw hitter, juice to all fields
SS  Anthony Prato Jr.   UConn  .324-2-23; repeat preseason All-AAC SS, pure hitter
OF  Bryant Packard Jr.  East Carolina .406-14-50; Preseason All-American, 5-tool player
OF  Kyle Phillips Sr.  South Florida .333-5-22; leadoff bat, pure hitter w/ all-fields app. 
OF  Tyler Osik R-Sr.  UCF .310-9-56; cleanup hitter, advanced hit tool
DH  Joe Davis Sr.  Houston .318-13-62; Houston's all-time HR & RBI leader
UT  Alec Burleson So.  East Carolina .252-0-18, 3.33, 54, 14:16; legitimate 2-way talent
SP  Mason Feole Jr.  UConn 2.50, 100.2, 120:49; AAC PiOY, low-90s FB, + CB
SP  Chris Williams R-Sr.  UCF 2.81, 93, 79:17; outstanding command, senior leader
SP  Tyler Smith Jr.  East Carolina  1.78, 60.2, 34:12; 2018 AAC ERA leader, misses bats
SP  Keagan Gillies Jr.  Tulane 3.36, 80.1, 57:31; adv. feel for strike zone
RP  Ricky (Trey) Benton Jr.  East Carolina  3.13, 69, 68:31; lively FB, feel for CB w/ late bite

Player of the Year: Bryant Packard, of, East Carolina
Pitcher of the Year: Mason Feole, lhp, UConn
Freshman of the Year: Brandon Schrepf, of, South Florida 

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

My only issue with Schrepf as FOY is that he might not play enough. We have a good amount of veteran depth in the outfield. 

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Mikey Montes is Coco's cousin I'm told.  That picture of him holding the bat looks exactly like Coco's stance...I thought it could be his brother.

As for the schedule start, I'm hoping we win 2 of 3 from Sanford (no easy task), and then hoping we go 2-3 with the meat of the schedule.  Its really hard to say though with the lack of starting pitching and missing Montes and Villar.  I think Chatfield will be the one guy that gets snubbed in this lineup unless he has finally learned how to make contact more.  His strikeout ratio has been way too high in his 3 seasons so far.  I definitely see more options for platooning with the OF depth.  As for Rags, he needs to concentrate on his pitching when he's healthy.  His approach at the plate left a lot to be desired in his first 2 seasons.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

9 hours ago, JoeB said:

Mikey Montes is Coco's cousin I'm told.  That picture of him holding the bat looks exactly like Coco's stance...I thought it could be his brother.

As for the schedule start, I'm hoping we win 2 of 3 from Sanford (no easy task), and then hoping we go 2-3 with the meat of the schedule.  Its really hard to say though with the lack of starting pitching and missing Montes and Villar.  I think Chatfield will be the one guy that gets snubbed in this lineup unless he has finally learned how to make contact more.  His strikeout ratio has been way too high in his 3 seasons so far.  I definitely see more options for platooning with the OF depth.  As for Rags, he needs to concentrate on his pitching when he's healthy.  His approach at the plate left a lot to be desired in his first 2 seasons.  

Chat really seemed to have trouble with breaking pitches.  Haven't seen a lot of improvement over the years.

• Topic Count:  291
  • Content Count:  2,667
  • Days Won:  0

https://d1baseball.com/analysis/2019-preseason-staff-bold-predictions/

Kendall Rogers Aaron Fitt Mark Etheridge David Seifert
National Champion Vanderbilt Vanderbilt Arkansas LSU
Player of the Year Adley Rutschman, Oregon State Adley Rutschman, Oregon State Andrew Vaughn, Cal JJ Bleday, Vanderbilt
Pitcher of the Year Graeme Stinson, Duke Graeme Stinson, Duke Drew Parrish, Florida State Noah Song, Navy
Freshman of the Year Landon Marceaux, LSU Matt McClain, UCLA Landon Marceaux, LSU Landon Marceaux, LSU
Non-Top 25 Sleeper Southern Miss Georgia Tech Southern Miss Sam Houston State
Non-Field of 64 Sleeper Louisiana Tech South Florida Louisiana Illinois
Breakout Star Josh Smith, LSU Noah Campbell, South Carolina Elijah MacNamee, Miss. State Daniel Cabrera, LSU
-- -- -- -- --
  Eric Sorenson Shotgun Spratling Nick Faleris Burke Granger
National Champion Vanderbilt UCLA Vanderbilt LSU
Player of the Year Adley Rutschman, Oregon State Andrew Vaughn, Cal Adley Rutschman, Oregon State Andrew Vaughn, Cal
Pitcher of the Year Nick Lodolo, TCU Andrew Pallante, UC Irvine Graeme Stinson, Duke Tyler Dyson, Florida
Freshman of the Year Matt McClain, UCLA Matt McClain, UCLA Nander De Sedas, Florida State Landon Marceaux, LSU
Non-Top 25 Sleeper Connecticut South Carolina Minnesota Minnesota
Non-Field of 64 Sleeper Illinois Oregon Oregon Kentucky
Breakout Star Herbert Iser, Dallas Baptist Riley Ornido, San Francisco JT Ginn, Miss. State Tyler Fitzgerald, Louisville