• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Great article on KB with very encouraging quotes...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,426
  • Days Won:  25

"... win the line of scrimmage"

GO BULLS!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  77
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, USFBulls727 said:

I liked what he said about the 5 progression reads, and the check-downs. That's something that apparently wasn't taught under Gilbert, or something that they couldn't get BB to grasp. It seemed he would lock in on one receiver, and if that wasn't there, we were screwed it seemed.

5 read system and the QB should have eliminated two of them by the time he sets his plant foot. QB has to be smart. The system is designed to get receivers separation instead of 50/50 balls. He says Peyton Manning was one of the best QB's in history because he was smart enough to know when to check down. In his system you never take a negative play if possible. Scramble for two yards or throw it away. The next play might go for a TD if you maintain down and distance discipline. QB has to be willing to run to make sure you keep the numbers right (defenders in the box). The guy knows what he is talking about.  And its more than talk.  He has walked the walk at every level he has coached.

• Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Most encouraging thing is he has already watched one game from this past season (GaTech).  Between that and the presser he's already of off to a 1000% better start Gilbert.   

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

3 hours ago, USFBulls727 said:

I liked what he said about the 5 progression reads, and the check-downs. That's something that apparently wasn't taught under Gilbert, or something that they couldn't get BB to grasp. It seemed he would lock in on one receiver, and if that wasn't there, we were screwed it seemed.

Gilbert didn't have progressions and check-downs also imply that the RB will be a legitimate threat to release for a check down.... something we literally never did.  That just wasn't part of the Briles offense. There were pre-spap reads and they'd go to the guy that pre-snap read dictated unless it's a rpo which really is just reading a LB... he bites it's a pass he doesn't it's a run.  It was one of the things Q didn't like about the offense, he said you don't always know if the guy your read goes to will be open.  So much about the veer and shoot was getting old.  I think teams just figured it out and Gilberts play calling didn't help.

He's a little article about how it performed this season.... hope it explains some things 

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2018/6/29/17518110/what-will-2018-hold-for-the-veer-and-shoot-houston-tulsa-usf-briles-montgomery-gilbert-babers

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Calibull said:

Gilbert didn't have progressions and check-downs also imply that the RB will be a legitimate threat to release for a check down.... something we literally never did.  That just wasn't part of the Briles offense. There were pre-spap reads and they'd go to the guy that pre-snap read dictated unless it's a rpo which really is just reading a LB... he bites it's a pass he doesn't it's a run.  It was one of the things Q didn't like about the offense, he said you don't always know if the guy your read goes to will be open.  So much about the veer and shoot was getting old.  I think teams just figured it out and Gilberts play calling didn't help.

He's a little article about how it performed this season.... hope it explains some things 

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2018/6/29/17518110/what-will-2018-hold-for-the-veer-and-shoot-houston-tulsa-usf-briles-montgomery-gilbert-babers

That was from June 2018 so before this season.   Kendall Briles and Babers are about the only ones still having success but they really expanded upon the basic principals and are far more creative than guys like Montgomery and Gilbert.   They both had top 20 offenses this season (UH 7th SU 19th) and top 15 scoring offenses (5th and 11th) 

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/21

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/27

Edited by Bull Dozer

That's crazy... He was the OC as a player in Toronto... I know it's Canadian football, but that almost never happens.  I think he's a really good fit for Strong.  Bell wants to run his offense and have complete control of the offense.  Strong needs a OC with a head coach mentality to run the offense because he wants to focus on the defense.  I think this will allow him to do that... 

I also like how he adjust his offense to what the teams strengths are.  I've listened to his presser twice now... he gets it.  I also think he's going to have Barnett playing out of his mind.

4 minutes ago, Calibull said:

That's crazy... He was the OC as a player in Toronto... I know it's Canadian football, but that almost never happens.  I think he's a really good fit for Strong.  Bell wants to run his offense and have complete control of the offense.  Strong needs a OC with a head coach mentality to run the offense because he wants to focus on the defense.  I think this will allow him to do that... 

I also like how he adjust his offense to what the teams strengths are.  I've listened to his presser twice now... he gets it.  I also think he's going to have Barnett playing out of his mind.

He definitely understands how to run an effective offense and even better how to maximize the type of offensive players that FL cranks out by the barrel every recruiting cycle.  He's going to have fun working stuff up to create mismatches for guys like Horne, McDoom, Wilcox, St Felix, Ford, Cronk, and maybe even 1 or two of the freshmen.  We have the athletes for him to really cook up some fun stuff this off season as long as Darveau can get the OL sorted out in a hurry.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

That was from June 2018 so before this season.   Kendall Briles and Babers are about the only ones still having success but they really expanded upon the basic principals and are far more creative than guys like Montgomery and Gilbert.   They both had top 20 offenses this season (UH 7th SU 19th) and top 15 scoring offenses (5th and 11th) 

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/21

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/27

Lynch was pretty much brought up and taught by Baerber (Lynch is the Cuse OC) and they adjusted the veer and shoot there.  They added to it and are running a much different version of the Briles offense than we did...  Houston... the guy who invented the offenses son.  Who's actually changed and added to the offense too.  Two schools did well in it... how about the rest?

2 hours ago, BDYZR said:

"... win the line of scrimmage"

GO BULLS!

That's where he had me... 

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  2,019
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, G8RLegist said:

I like the fact that he says he tailors the system to match the players. Too many OC’s try to force a system on players regardless of their abilities. 

AMEN!

You're Job as a coach is to use the tools you have. 

7 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

He definitely understands how to run an effective offense and even better how to maximize the type of offensive players that FL cranks out by the barrel every recruiting cycle.  He's going to have fun working stuff up to create mismatches for guys like Horne, McDoom, Wilcox, St Felix, Ford, Cronk, and maybe even 1 or two of the freshmen.  We have the athletes for him to really cook up some fun stuff this off season as long as Darveau can get the OL sorted out in a hurry.  

If Horne is ready... without saying anything else,  I'll just qualify the comment.  I don't expect to see him participating in the spring.

I think they'll have the Oline sorted out pretty quickly.  People act like there is not talent there, i just think the guys were young and not well coached up.

Edited by Calibull