• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

8 hours ago, Triple B said:

What the FT situation does do is give those who appear to always need something to critique, something to critique .... and what makes them not look as foolish, considering the way the team is playing otherwise, is we're losing close games where ft shooting is a taylor made excuse for the losses.

Very true.  And as I tried to point out, the guys who are shooting the most notably poor from the line (Rideau and Yetna) are also the guys that are doing the most to keep these games close to begin with.  Remove them from the equation and sure your FT percentage goes up, but you're probably not in those game to begin with.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712

10 hours ago, JTrue said:

Meh. I don't like the FT situation, but there's no magic coaching solution. It's probably a combination of a lot of things. Guys like Rideau are getting fouled on the way to the basket because they can't shoot. He wasn't much a FT guy at Gardner-Webb either. Some of it is in their heads at this point. And some of it is likely the result of us not being able to recruit and get guys with a well-rounded basketball skill-set. If Rideau could score like he has been AND shoot FTs at 75%, he probably wouldn't be here. Just like with football, we're not getting WR who can run fast, run the entire route-tree, AND catch anything thrown their way. Those guys go somewhere else. The ones that trickle down to us are lacking in some area and, hopefully, after a couple years, we can clean up whatever area is deficient. This team is really good right now for what it is. FTs are easy to pick on, but if we can make incremental gains throughout this year and next, show something to the next round of recruits, maybe we snag some guys who can score from the floor AND hit 75% from the line.

Nonsense. I've studied the film, and all these guys need to do is tuck the elbow. Problem solved.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

The FTs that clank the front of the rim drive me nuts. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  581
  • Content Count:  22,612
  • Days Won:  108

10 hours ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

Once Kelly gets the Outdoor Freethrow Practice Facilty built, and Cousin Ricky coaches the mid-night shift...the problem will be a thing of the past.😉

I'm not up at midnight.  And I have an unorthodox shot.  Don't want me teaching these guys.  My tips would be: find a comfortable set up and, once you find the range, just repeat the motion.  Sometimes getting too technical screws up their head.  Edit: Jim Furyk's golf swing is one example of not having to be by the book in your motion. But if you know what the shot does and you repeat the same way you can survive, maybe even thrive.

Edited by CousinRicky

10 hours ago, Triple B said:

What the FT situation does do is give those who appear to always need something to critique, something to critique .... and what makes them not look as foolish, considering the way the team is playing otherwise, is we're losing close games where ft shooting is a taylor made excuse for the losses.

Is that taylor swift?  Always thought it was tailor made.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I love all of the basketball coaches on this thread LMAO....

• Haha 1

Anybody check the AC at the dome?  Maybe there is too much of a cross wind ..........

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,605
  • Content Count:  74,216
  • Days Won:  422

1 hour ago, CousinRicky said:

Is that taylor swift?  Always thought it was tailor made.

LOL .... You know, that just looked wrong but I couldn’t for the life of me figure out why. The freakin’ auto correct is never there when you need it. 

18 minutes ago, Triple B said:

LOL .... You know, that just looked wrong but I couldn’t for the life of me figure out why. The freakin’ auto correct is never there when you need it. 

That why you and I patrol these pages.

Another thing to think about.  The guys that are really killing the percentage (Rideau and Yetna), then you also have Collins that is only around 65%, those guys are getting to the line quite a bit.   So although they are missing a lot of FT's they are still generating points with the clock stopped.  Be nice if they hit over 60% at least, then they would generate that much more.   But at this point I'll take that as a trade off for all the other positives.

I also wonder how many rebounds we're getting off missed FTs.  Some games have seemed like quite a few.

Edit: were changed to we're before I get dinged by @CousinRicky.  😀

Edited by chapelbull