• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

3 hours ago, bcgruber said:

X, Antun , Kiir and Collins,  are decent as well.  just need the right shooter at the line in end of game situations

Rideau doesn't shoot well from the line and he gets there a ton which doesn't help the percentage, but it's tough to take him off the court being that he's a major catalyst for this team.  And then there's Yetna who is going to get to the line with all the banging underneath and is only modestly better than Rideau

Those guys have to be on the court, they're the major reasons for our success to this point.  My guess is that if we are up at the end of the game, then CBG will do every thing he can to make sure the ball is in Brown, Lang, or Collins' hands.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,669
  • Days Won:  108

18 minutes ago, 79 Bull said:

Can't hurt.  the real shooters should try starting at the arc, take one dribble and do a jump shot.

Hal Greer who played for the Sixers in the 60s used to shoot a jumper for his foul shots.  Said he used it as practice for his jumper.  Edit:  Career 80% from the line.

Edited by CousinRicky

Oddly enough the guy I emulated as a kid was Greer's teammate Wali Jones.  Can't find any video or stats for him.  He would step back with one foot and slide the foot forward as he shot.  

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,330
  • Content Count:  96,970
  • Days Won:  469

Data sorted 

image.png

If only Justin Brown could play D and penetrate when he had the ball in his hands.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

22 minutes ago, Brad said:

Data sorted 

image.png

Thanks Brad. Like I said Lang and Brown only acceptable percentages you may include Antun and his limited attempts.  

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  393
  • Days Won:  0

The first year of the USF men's basketball team, !970-1971, Tommie Davis, one of our guards, shot a jump shot to attempt his free throws like Hal Greer. Tommie was a very good free throw shooter. I know this first hand because I was a student manager for that first Golden Brahman basketbull team.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Meh. I don't like the FT situation, but there's no magic coaching solution. It's probably a combination of a lot of things. Guys like Rideau are getting fouled on the way to the basket because they can't shoot. He wasn't much a FT guy at Gardner-Webb either. Some of it is in their heads at this point. And some of it is likely the result of us not being able to recruit and get guys with a well-rounded basketball skill-set. If Rideau could score like he has been AND shoot FTs at 75%, he probably wouldn't be here. Just like with football, we're not getting WR who can run fast, run the entire route-tree, AND catch anything thrown their way. Those guys go somewhere else. The ones that trickle down to us are lacking in some area and, hopefully, after a couple years, we can clean up whatever area is deficient. This team is really good right now for what it is. FTs are easy to pick on, but if we can make incremental gains throughout this year and next, show something to the next round of recruits, maybe we snag some guys who can score from the floor AND hit 75% from the line.

Edited by JTrue
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,460
  • Days Won:  422

What the FT situation does do is give those who appear to always need something to critique, something to critique .... and what makes them not look as foolish, considering the way the team is playing otherwise, is we're losing close games where ft shooting is a taylor made excuse for the losses.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  3,497
  • Days Won:  9

Once Kelly gets the Outdoor Freethrow Practice Facilty built, and Cousin Ricky coaches the mid-night shift...the problem will be a thing of the past.😉

• Haha 1