• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

New OC, new WR recruits?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

7 minutes ago, TruthARevolutionaryAct said:

Like we saw with Mike White, he sucked against p6 opponents but went down to the Sun Belt and became some stud qb.

BTW Mike White played as a true freshman for us on a crappy team. something tells me the experience and talent surrounding him would have improved just as he would have. comparing true freshman mike white on a crappy team to junior/senior mike white on a good team is foolish.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

6 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

you mean guys like Adam Thielen, Delanie Walker, Tyreek Hill, Chris Ivory?

6 --  The number of former DII linebackers and running backs each in the NFL. Tiffin's Chris Ivory earned a Pro Bowl trip in 2015 with a 1,000-yard season.

6 -- NFL teams without a single DII player on its roster. The Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, New England Patriots, New Orleans Saints, San Francisco 49ers, and Washington Redskins had some in camp, but none made the final cut.

6 -- The number of former DII players the Indianapolis Colts roster,  tied for most in the NFL. The Baltimore Ravens, Los Angeles Rams and Tampa Bay Buccaneers also have six apiece. 

10 -- Tight ends on NFL rosters that played DII football. Central Missouri's Delanie Walker may be the best known of the bunch.

13 -- Former defensive linemen on NFL rosters.

14 -- Wide receivers and offensive linemen on NFL rosters. West Alabama's Tyreek Hill is a star in the making, already with two All-Pro appearances, while the aforementioned Thielen is widely considered one of the better receivers in football.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2018-09-04/dii-football-players-2018-nfl-rosters

Well hell, now that you put it that way.  The Bucs should start looking for RBs at UPS since Bernie Parmalee was working there before becoming a pretty good NFL RB .....

Just kidding man

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  77
  • Days Won:  0

5 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

Listen I'm not saying he is the second coming of Flowers but it wouldn't be a waste of a scholarship to bring in his QB who just happened to be the 2nd best player in Div 2. He is also familiar with the system. Again it was just a suggestion and one that I don't even think will happen.

God knows we have wasted them on far less talented QBs.

Even if Rogan Wells isn’t as physically gifted as the QB’s currently on the roster, he could certainly help them learn Bell’s system. There is no doubt that he is better than them at running it right now. 

so the QB who won the Harlon Hill Trophy (Div 2 top player) in 2017 can impress Sean McVay enough to make the Rams practice team but we can't waste one of 85 scholarships on the sophomore Qb runner up to that trophy in 2018?

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

1 minute ago, Bull94 said:

so the QB who won the Harlon Hill Trophy (Div 2 top player) in 2017 can impress Sean McVay enough to make the Rams practice team but we can't waste one of 85 scholarships on the sophomore Qb runner up to that trophy in 2018?

Sure, you give him a scholly if he can play here, but not just because he ran Bell's system last year

Just now, chapelbull said:

Sure, you give him a scholly if he can play here, but not just because he ran Bell's system last year

he ran Bell's system last year and finished runner up for the best player in div 2.

why would we bring him on if he wasn't any good regardless of what system he ran?

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,454
  • Days Won:  25

20 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

you mean guys like Adam Thielen, Delanie Walker, Tyreek Hill, Chris Ivory?

6 --  The number of former DII linebackers and running backs each in the NFL. Tiffin's Chris Ivory earned a Pro Bowl trip in 2015 with a 1,000-yard season.

6 -- NFL teams without a single DII player on its roster. The Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, New England Patriots, New Orleans Saints, San Francisco 49ers, and Washington Redskins had some in camp, but none made the final cut.

6 -- The number of former DII players the Indianapolis Colts roster,  tied for most in the NFL. The Baltimore Ravens, Los Angeles Rams and Tampa Bay Buccaneers also have six apiece. 

10 -- Tight ends on NFL rosters that played DII football. Central Missouri's Delanie Walker may be the best known of the bunch.

13 -- Former defensive linemen on NFL rosters.

14 -- Wide receivers and offensive linemen on NFL rosters. West Alabama's Tyreek Hill is a star in the making, already with two All-Pro appearances, while the aforementioned Thielen is widely considered one of the better receivers in football.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2018-09-04/dii-football-players-2018-nfl-rosters

43 of 1696 = 2.5% - Not impossible, but not great odds.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

33 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Thanks for acknowledging that.  Wonder if anyone else will?

On that second part.  Who cares if someone wants to ask that question?  Isn't that what message boards are all about?  Personally, I think the self appointed board content police are more annoying than the perpetually pessimistic people.

Absolutely I agree...certainly anyone can ask the question. But with all the hatred concerning CCS it would seem to me to be an extension to not giving the new OC a chance. In other words, I guess I am not convinced that it is a true question but more of statement. As @TRUTH D. Antagonist posted earlier, I believe there are some who post who really don’t care about the success of USF athletics...or they certainly are not all in like most of us diehards. Yes, they are few and far between but the way some people keep the negative talk going I guess I get over sensitive sometimes. Just my two cents.

Edited by NewEnglandBull
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

43 of 1696 = 2.5% - Not impossible, but not great odds.

Not saying he is NFL talent just that  a scholarship wouldn't be wasted on him. The team he just threw 5 TDs against in the national championship game has 6 players on NFL rosters. Not even sure why I'm arguing this because it will never happen.

There are 83 former DII football players on current NFL rosters, down from the 90 that opened up the 2017 season*. Some have made themselves household names, like Super Bowl hero Malcolm Butler and 2017 breakout star Adam Thielen. Others are rookies simply looking for a chance, like 2018 Harlon Hill winner and national champion quarterback Luis Perez. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,669
  • Days Won:  108

There have been tons of players from non football powerhouses to make it in the NFL.  Didn't Ben Rothlesberger go to Miami (Oh) or Ohio?  Phil Simms went to Morehead State. Delaware produced a couple - Rich Gannon and the Raven's QB Flacco.  Not that is is the norm but it happens.  Of all the universities in Florida only 1 QB was drafted last year - McGough from FIU.  And he stuck to the Seattle practice squad.  Didn't the Saints have a great wide out that played at Hofstra?  You have Fitzmagic from an Ivy League school.