• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mitch Wilcox Will Return for Senior Year!!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Days Won:  14

Glad to hear he is returning.  I hope he gets to pump up his stats can make some good film in 2019.

We are very proud of him over here in north Pinellas county.

• Topic Count:  155
  • Content Count:  5,244
  • Days Won:  2

22 hours ago, BullyPulpit said:

If he can work on his pass-catching he is going to make a great replacement for Gronk in New England. 

as a Pats fan I'd love to see Mitch in Foxboro...

but I think ppl underestimate Gronk's great blocking, something I think Wilcox hasn't shown enough of yet.

he's had some drops, many of which came on passes which were on the periphery of his catch radius &/or with a defender on him tight or clearly barreling down for a big hit, & he's going to have to increase his reception rate on those passes if he's going to be catching balls over the middle...

but I think his receiving would improve dramatically with better playcalling & a QB with a little more touch. Barnett has decent arm talent & makes decent reads, but he seems to only have two pitches: the deep ball & a full-power bullet pass.

if even 1/3 of those passes had a little better touch & actually led Wilcox to the open field instead of being bullets thrown a little high or a little behind I think his receiving numbers would have been even more impressive than they were last year.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

25 minutes ago, TRUTH D. Antagonist said:

as a Pats fan I'd love to see Mitch in Foxboro...

but I think ppl underestimate Gronk's great blocking, something I think Wilcox hasn't shown enough of yet.

he's had some drops, many of which came on passes which were on the periphery of his catch radius &/or with a defender on him tight or clearly barreling down for a big hit, & he's going to have to increase his reception rate on those passes if he's going to be catching balls over the middle...

but I think his receiving would improve dramatically with better playcalling & a QB with a little more touch. Barnett has decent arm talent & makes decent reads, but he seems to only have two pitches: the deep ball & a full-power bullet pass.

if even 1/3 of those passes had a little better touch & actually led Wilcox to the open field instead of being bullets thrown a little high or a little behind I think his receiving numbers would have been even more impressive than they were last year.

Wilcox still needs to catch a higher percentage of those borderline throws. Not all of them, but more than he has. 

As for Gronk, unless something dramatic changes for him in the off-season, I think he is entering the last two years of his career. His body is breaking down and he can't seem to stay healthy. He is going to be the "oldest" 30 year old in the league next season. It is a shame, as I love watching him play. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

23 hours ago, USFBulls727 said:

Good point. Why would he forego an NFL paycheck without knowing what type of offense he will be involved with? 

Character?

• Topic Count:  155
  • Content Count:  5,244
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, BullyPulpit said:

Wilcox still needs to catch a higher percentage of those borderline throws. Not all of them, but more than he has. 

As for Gronk, unless something dramatic changes for him in the off-season, I think he is entering the last two years of his career. His body is breaking down and he can't seem to stay healthy. He is going to be the "oldest" 30 year old in the league next season. It is a shame, as I love watching him play. 

I think Gronk is done after this season.

he has never been healthy thru his career-- his back, his arm, his ankle-- & he visibly looks worn down on the field, not just in his diminished playing capacity but in the look on his face after getting up from a tackle.

he's floated the idea of retirement for over a year & I honestly think he only came back to play with Tom, who I also think has 1 maybe 2 years left tops. 

Gronk is not a focal point of the offense anymore & IMO he would already be out of the league if he weren't such a good blocker & a decoy that can still threaten for 1 or 2 big chunk plays a game & those only come on 3 or 4 targets now.

Wilcox looks like a guy the Pats would take with a mid-to-late round pick if he can haul in more of those 50/50 catches & show a little bit more with his blocking this season.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 minutes ago, TRUTH D. Antagonist said:

I think Gronk is done after this season.

he has never been healthy thru his career-- his back, his arm, his ankle-- & he visibly looks worn down on the field, not just in his diminished playing capacity but in the look on his face after getting up from a tackle.

he's floated the idea of retirement for over a year & I honestly think he only came back to play with Tom, who I also think has 1 maybe 2 years left tops. 

Gronk is not a focal point of the offense anymore & IMO he would already be out of the league if he weren't such a good blocker & a decoy that can still threaten for 1 or 2 big chunk plays a game & those only come on 3 or 4 targets now.

Wilcox looks like a guy the Pats would take with a mid-to-late round pick if he can haul in more of those 50/50 catches & show a little bit more with his blocking this season.

No doubt Gronk is gone. He should have shut it down after last season when it was clear Pats mgt did not really want him. Although I would like to see Wilcox there, there are 6 to 8 other TEs that who will grade out higher than Mitch. Bill is a terrible draft picker but he does look for value and Wilcox will come cheap so it’s possible. I would also say that there at least a dozen other NFL teams in need of a TE too so the Pats will have to wait in line with the others.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

‘Twas a weak year for healthy, productive TEs (at least fantasy-wise).