• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Remember that time...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

1 hour ago, TRUTH D. Antagonist said:

we lost him 10 years ago when CJL got fired.

im not a fan of CCS, but we are literally 1 season removed from back to back 10+ win seasons.

talk about eliminating the football program after one bad 7-6 season just isn't rational. It's emotional, emotions that have been building for a decade. 

firing CJL was bad, but what hurt USF football the most was losing BCS/"Power" status & nothing USF could have done would have stopped that train from leaving the station. firing CJL was a drop in the bucket compared to Pitt's betrayal & the ultimate collapse of Big East football.

CJL could still be the coach now & USF would still be right here in the AAC... & there is no guarantee CJL would have won conference championships in the AAC, unless there's something u guys are seeing from his 7-4 & 4-7 (11-11 overall) record in CUSA that I'm just not seeing.

the constant moping gets to a point where I'm not even sure some of these people even WANT USF to succeed... It's almost like wanting USF to remain in perpetual football purgatory for the sin of firing their beloved coach, "if CJL isn't winning here NO ONE should win here." 

it's the people that take years to get over a break-up. there are other fish in the sea but these people act like getting their feet wet is a betrayal of "the one that got away."

it gets old.

It’s not fair to expect everyone to be as fair, reasonable and level headed as I am at all times. 

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 minute ago, puc86 said:

It’s not fair to expect everyone to be as fair, reasonable and level headed as I am at all times. 

You are Mr. Cool...crap can be coming at you from all directions and you handle it all effortlessly...kind of like James Bond...not that current guy who gets his ass kicked every now and then but the one from 70s who kicked ass and still kept the crease on the tux. 

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

4 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

You are Mr. Cool...crap can be coming at you from all directions and you handle it all effortlessly...kind of like James Bond...not that current guy who gets his ass kicked every now and then but the one from 70s who kicked ass and still kept the crease on the tux. 

And people thought @TRUTH D. Antagonist had the most accurate post on here in years... 🤣

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  137

16 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

surely you meant the 1960s and Sean Connery -- NOT the 1970s and Roger Moore

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

2 hours ago, Calibull said:

I can't do internet today I quit

Edited by Ghostbuster
I'm bad at internet

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  137

7 minutes ago, Ghostbuster said:

Woooeee, talk about a false equivalency based on survivorship bias.

"Hey maybe we shoulda given Holtz more time because....Clemson".

Just because the national champs have a coach who wasn't fired at some point, it doesn't mean any ole coach can use that card and be found deserving of more time.

Thought this thread was about Wilcox anyways...

I moved both posts to the correct thread - now shows a double post from him but knew where they had posted originally.

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,320
  • Days Won:  43

Remember that time when Bobby Boucher showed up at halftime to help his team win the Bourbon Bowl?!

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, MikeG said:

There is only one Sean Connery

234098B3-8579-4569-BB3D-6CCB7CCFB812.jpeg

• Topic Count:  154
  • Content Count:  5,240
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, MikeG said:

So the "moping" is not baseless-- it is an expression of the futility of our situation. Having CJL would not solve this. We were summarily placed in the second class zone by the so-called elite conferences along with a bunch of others. The worst part about it that there is very little we can do about it because of the way they structured it. In fact-- USF might be better off if they just went ahead and created a secondary tier to the playoffs so this level would be able have a chance to play for something more than an ultimately meaningless NY6 bowl game where if you win, the other team says "we didn't care" and if you lose, they rub your nose in the carpet like the dog you are.

I feel u, Mike.

i don't think there's a USF fan out there that hasn't felt the pangs of helplessness as we've watched our program go from overachieving upstart ranked #2 controlling its own destiny to underachieving mid-tier G5 schedule filler for P5 teams looking for an early season "easy but kinda respectable" OOC win.

& I know it's easy to look at the bogus firing of CJL as the catalyst-- whether literal or superstitious-- that set the downfall of USF in motion. I know it's easier to blame Judy, Woolard, the donors & fans that sat on their hands & idly let it happen then abandoned the program at its lowest point... but the reality is that USF is where it is because ESPN & former member schools that had a ticket out of dodge already punched (Pitt, Cuse, UL, RU, etc.) conspired to eliminate the Big East as a "power" football conference by crippling its profit potential with a **** TV deal. that & the internal fissures between FBS football schools & basketball schools, Catholic vs. non-Catholic schools, etc. caused the Big East conference to fall apart & with it USF's chance at playing meaningful football.

but none of us could have done anything about that. the UNIVERSITY couldn't have done anything about that.

could we have been in better position to compete in the AAC once conference readjustment happened had CJL never been fired? most likely. the continuity alone would have probably avoided the 2 & 3 loss seasons. but there is nothing in CJL's resume to suggest he would have led the team to anything more than 9-win seasons. we've had TWO double-figure win seasons in three years since we hit rock bottom. 

USF & its fans should absolutely not act like we're still a BCS school. but not being in a "Power" conference doesn't make USF football meaningless or worthy of demotion to FCS. by the standards of some fans, only 4 teams play meaningful football every year & it's usually the same effing teams every year!

we're talking about deep-sixing USF football over the lost POTENTIAL to compete for a spot in the CFP or a Nat'l Championship when we can't even win our conference, regardless of which one it is or what level it's at, & even in the Big East we still never would have gotten a BCS nod over even a 1 or 2 loss SEC, BIG10 or ACC school... so what are we really crucifying ourselves over?

there is plenty for USF to play for. plenty of meaningful football. playing football in & of itself is meaningful for the sake of the athletes & the university experience.

i'm not saying there aren't problems with USF football or that CCS has given me reason to be psyched about the immediate future of the program, but what have we done to act like 7-win seasons are beneath us??

for nearly 20 years USF had the benefit of being in the right place at the right time. now we have to work to get back what we didn't really work too hard to get in the first place. we can Criticize coaching all we want but I'm not ready to give up on the program after one 7-6 season.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

3 hours ago, MikeG said:

I think of Puc more like George Lazenby. 

16725.jpg?quality=90&strip=all