Jump to content
  • Join Today

    Join today and reduce ads presented

  • Members do not see this ad
Sign in to follow this  
BrassBulls12

Rays eliminate upper deck seating

Recommended Posts

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25683771/tampa-bay-rays-eliminate-upper-deck-seating-reduce-capacity-25000 

A few highlights from the article 

The Rays on Friday said they would add a premium seating section in the lower level but would no longer seat fans in the upper deck, which would reduce capacity at the stadium to approximately 25,000 to 26,000.

That would be about 10,000 seats smaller than capacity at any other stadium in the major leagues.

"These renovations mark our continued commitment to providing a first-rate fan experience at Tropicana Field," Rays president Matt Silverman said in a statement. "Together, in concert with the reduction in seating capacity, these investments will help create a more intimate, entertaining and appealing experience for our fans."

 

Ouch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They forgot to mention the major impact this will have, driving up the price of tickets in the lower deck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For sure, I wondered about that when it mentioned and increase in "premium" seating. Sounded more like the Rays are forcing people to buy more expensive tickets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

For sure, I wondered about that when it mentioned and increase in "premium" seating. Sounded more like the Rays are forcing people to buy more expensive tickets. 

Yup. Same amount of people, you've just eliminated the tickets that cost less than $10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Yup. Same amount of people, you've just eliminated the tickets that cost less than $10.

I'm starting to wonder is Sternberg is taking the Rachel Phelps route. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

I'm starting to wonder is Sternberg is taking the Rachel Phelps route. 

The only way you're going to get a city to pony up $1 billion for a stadium anymore is by fleecing one without a professional team. After Miami, no one is going to be that dumb ever again. So if he isn't going to fund most of the financing, the Portland Rays are around the corner.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JTrue said:

The only way you're going to get a city to pony up $1 billion for a stadium anymore is by fleecing one without a professional team. After Miami, no one is going to be that dumb ever again. So if he isn't going to fund most of the financing, the Portland Rays are around the corner.

Very true, did you see that recent (might not that recent) comment from the previous Miami owner. pretty much bragging about what he did to the city? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While closing the upper deck removes the least-expensive tickets from the Tropicana Field seating bowl, the cheapest price point will remain but be shifted to other sections of the stadium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chapelbull said:

While closing the upper deck removes the least-expensive tickets from the Tropicana Field seating bowl, the cheapest price point will remain but be shifted to other sections of the stadium.

Unless I'm going blind, that's not from the link in the op ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Unless I'm going blind, that's not from the link in the op ....

https://www.tampabay.com/blogs/rays/2019/01/04/rays-close-the-upper-deck-at-tropicana-field-shrinking-baseballs-smallest-seating-capacity/

Sorry, I had tbo open and was reading the article at the same time I saw this thread and didn't even notice what the above link was actually to.  My bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...