• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Holgorsen To Houston

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,631
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, TRUTH D. Antagonist said:

I know the common logic is "P5 always > G5" but if the money is as good (or better) & as a coach u embrace the role of helping to build something special at a G5 school, possibly even being "the guy" to be at the helm if/when a school like Houston (or USF, UCF, Cinci) gets the invite to a P5 conference or leading a G5 school to a CFP bid (especially given the prospects for CFP expansion within a few years), it is HUGE for legacy & resume.

there ARE potential upsides to coaching a G5 school that don't exist, or are harder to accomplish, at a P5 school. as a head coach, why take $X million a year to win 6, 7 or 8 games a season in [P5 Conference] & play in the Camping World Bowl or Russell Athletic Bowl every year when u can earn the same/more at a solid G5 program winning 10, 11 or 12 games a season, conference championships & an easier path to NY6 bowls... & the potential, even if remote, to elevate an entire program to another level in the form of breaking into the CFP or getting a P5 invite when the next round of expansion comes.

it's potentially the difference between being just another coach in a long line of coaches at a given school, & being a legend on a Mount Rushmore of coaches who really did something special.

this is the kind of coach USF desperately needs. not necessarily Holgerson, but a guy that sees the potential here & embraces the opportunity to make a lasting mark by taking this program to the next level.

i respect Holgerson for this. I know the money is probably significantly better, but he sees the opportunity to do special things at Houston that were far less likely to happen at West Virgina.

This may be how you would feel as a coach, but be careful respecting someone for what you THINK is their motive. 

I agree with Skingraft as far as what I believe his motives are.  I can respect him for this as well, but for doing all he needs to do to bring in the cash and accomplish bigger things somewhere else down the road - not for some moral high road you think he’s on. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  96,971
  • Days Won:  469

2. In Holgorsen, Houston had a candidate who badly wanted to be in the Cougars’ city, sources said, having had success in and near Texas before.

This will be the Mike Leach protege’s second stint with the Cougars. He was the offensive coordinator in 2008 and 2009 under Kevin Sumlin, when he coached QB Case Keenum.

Link

"Badly wanted to be in Houston"

Make that note.  Criteria for a Bulls HC should be someone that badly wants to be in Tampa.  

I hope we start there next time.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,729
  • Content Count:  37,554
  • Days Won:  29

Houston wants to go to a NY6 Bowl.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  96,971
  • Days Won:  469

They are competing.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,669
  • Days Won:  108

1 hour ago, TRUTH D. Antagonist said:

I know the common logic is "P5 always > G5" but if the money is as good (or better) & as a coach u embrace the role of helping to build something special at a G5 school, possibly even being "the guy" to be at the helm if/when a school like Houston (or USF, UCF, Cinci) gets the invite to a P5 conference or leading a G5 school to a CFP bid (especially given the prospects for CFP expansion within a few years), it is HUGE for legacy & resume.

there ARE potential upsides to coaching a G5 school that don't exist, or are harder to accomplish, at a P5 school. as a head coach, why take $X million a year to win 6, 7 or 8 games a season in [P5 Conference] & play in the Camping World Bowl or Russell Athletic Bowl every year when u can earn the same/more at a solid G5 program winning 10, 11 or 12 games a season, conference championships & an easier path to NY6 bowls... & the potential, even if remote, to elevate an entire program to another level in the form of breaking into the CFP or getting a P5 invite when the next round of expansion comes.

it's potentially the difference between being just another coach in a long line of coaches at a given school, & being a legend on a Mount Rushmore of coaches who really did something special.

this is the kind of coach USF desperately needs. not necessarily Holgerson, but a guy that sees the potential here & embraces the opportunity to make a lasting mark by taking this program to the next level.

i respect Holgerson for this. I know the money is probably significantly better, but he sees the opportunity to do special things at Houston that were far less likely to happen at West Virgina.

We may have that guy here now.  We may not like what's going on but methinks CCS would love to build a legacy at USF.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  154
  • Content Count:  5,240
  • Days Won:  2

41 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

We may have that guy here now.  We may not like what's going on but methinks CCS would love to build a legacy at USF.

if CCS can turn the program around & build a legacy, I will love him for it.

there are just certain things-- publicly hanging his players out to dry, non-chalant attitude towards losing, what appears to be a complete disregard for the fans who make his job possible-- that make me question his dedication to this program & all it entails.

of course I could be wrong. I thought xCWT was "that guy" who would embrace the opportunity to make USF "his" program & elevating it to national competitor again "his" project.

I'll be the first to acknowledge I don't know anything behind the scenes, I'm just going off what I see. if CCS is really committed & really wants to build something here & it shows in his coaching & results on the field, I will gladly (re)embrace him. I don't think anyone can be blamed for being jaded after this season.

re: Holgerson... any time a P5 coach CHOOSES to go to a G5 program it's a good thing, even if the motivation is strictly money. it shows that G5 can compete for P5 level coaches that aren't just retreads rehabbing previous failures & auditioning to get back to the level they lost or young guys looking for the most convenient stepping stone.

Edited by TRUTH D. Antagonist
correcting autocorrect
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  154
  • Content Count:  5,240
  • Days Won:  2

55 minutes ago, Boomer said:

This may be how you would feel as a coach, but be careful respecting someone for what you THINK is their motive. 

I agree with Skingraft as far as what I believe his motives are.  I can respect him for this as well, but for doing all he needs to do to bring in the cash and accomplish bigger things somewhere else down the road - not for some moral high road you think he’s on. 

ok. Let's remove all conjecture & supposition.

a P5 coach left a secure job at a respectable P5 program for a G5 school.

what is objectively bad about that?

we're both working off assumptions here so let's bring it back to just the facts. how is this move negative in any way for the AAC or G5 schools looking for head coaches?

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

AAC programs are seeing the writing on the wall. They have to pay-up, step-up to get quality coaches and then retain them beyond a successful season or two only to start again. Facilities? AAC schools are building and modifying. It would appear that many schools are trying to get past the stigma of being a G5( real or imagined). Cincy, great fun bowl game to watch. UCF, how can you not pull for them to win? Houston, getting their wallet out for a HC. The trend is apparent. Even Tulane is strutting and trying to enhance their image and ability. Temple. Then there's UConn--hmm? a bball school kinda like Rutgers in the B10. Just thoughts based upon observation. 

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

1 hour ago, Brad said:

.  Criteria for a Bulls HC should be someone that badly wants to be in Tampa.  

I agree

Does that exists? 

Edited by BrassBulls12

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Days Won:  15

59 minutes ago, TRUTH D. Antagonist said:

if CCS can turn the program around & build a legacy, I will love him for it.

there are just certain things-- publicly hanging his players out to dry, non-chalant attitude towards losing, what appears to be a complete disregard for the fans who make his job possible-- that make me question his dedication to this program & all it entails.

of course I could be wrong. I thought xCWT was "that guy" who would embrace the opportunity to make USF "his" program & elevating it to national competitor again "his" project.

I'll be the first to acknowledge I don't know anything behind the scenes, I'm just going off what I see. if CCS is really committed & really wants to build something here & it shows in his coaching & results on the field, I will gladly (re)embrace him. I don't think anyone can be blamed for being jaded after this season.

re: Holgerson... any time a P5 coach CHOOSES to go to a G5 program it's a good thing, even if the motivation is strictly money. it shows that G5 can compete for P5 level coaches that aren't just retreads rehabbing previous failures & auditioning to get back to the level they lost or young guys looking for the most convenient stepping stone.

Publicly hanging his players out to dry? At what point does a player become accountable? I still remember 4th and 24 vs UH and our all world LB did not make a play.  He was in position and did not make play.  Who owns his ability to not make the play?  Wilcox’s fumble LY vs UCF.  Who owns it?  I bet if you ask Wilcox he would not hesitate and say he does. 

Nonchalant attitude towards losing?  How does one show disgust for losing or elation for winning? It’s an emotion and everyone shows it differently.  I for one hated CJLs sideline and post game antics while others loved it. 

Disregard for fans?  My interactions have all been very positive.  He’s quite and humble and doesn’t love the limelight.  He shows up at events, speaks to the press and is available during student events.

At least you acknowledge you know very little about what goes on “behind the scenes”.  I agree with you on that point.

Go Bulls!