• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Holgorsen To Houston

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

25 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

First of all, if they wanted to fire the guy they could and would figure out a way to get it done.  It's absurd to say otherwise.  Secondly, the excuse that he has a winning record and has only had 2 years have been repeatedly thrown around here and fans wanting him gone criticized.  Third, if we are "handcuffed" by the contract (I doubt it), then there could be parameters set in place by the AD to make sure the program isn't run into the ground in the meantime.

I am not much in favor of CCS but I think it will take one more year of poor play to dump him. What Harlan did was creative. He took the Texas money, wrote CCS a contract that guaranteed him two years past this season. I would estimate the buyout at $4.2 mil  if he was fired this year. What Harlan did that was sneaky however, is putting the contract numbers in the USF Foundation account which is extremely difficult to read to determine the actual amount.   

At the end of the day could they buy him out now? Yes. But it would be fiscally  irresponsible to do so....especially after one year later from paying off Skip and Harlan. 

20 minutes ago, Brad said:

The AD is being paid $625,000 a year, should be able to deal with complex, big salary contracts like his own.

If it was that simple companies would never go out of business. To simply say do it anyway with creative finance skills without Knowing the details of the university’s athletic budget would be irresponsible. If any $ come out of the university’s creatively I would hope it would go to the IPF.

Edited by NewEnglandBull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

5 hours ago, El_Toro_86 said:

After 2 years with a 15-10 record 

They'll never ever find a qualified replacement with a quick hook like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

Applewhite also had a pretty publicized spat with the team leader in the middle of a game. He may have lost the locker room.  

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

I also doubt they get Holgorsen to leave WVU. They may have the money to make it intriguing but you are still trying to convince a coach to leave the P5  to make it as hard as possible to make the NC. He could very easily be the hottest name in the coaching carousal next season if he really is unhappy at WVU.  

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

3 hours ago, puc86 said:

They got beat down by Wisky we got beat down by a team I would have never known existed if my wife didn’t make me watch some Mathew mcconauhey movie.

Reign of Fire?

• Haha 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,508
  • Days Won:  422

9 hours ago, El_Toro_86 said:

After 2 years with a 15-10 record 

4 hours ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

They'll never ever find a qualified replacement with a quick hook like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sure they will .... even talking about possibly going after a current P5 HC in Dana Holgorsen. We try pulling a stunt like this and our choices would be closer to Dana Carvey. Comparing our situation to Houston's, or even more laughably UM's, with both of their histories  is nonsensical. Take the money thing out of it, what Kelly has had to do in this situation is get clear in his mind whether CCS is or isn't the coach to take the program forward and I think that, at this point, he isn't convinced that he's not that coach. The 6 game skid was bad, McNeese State bad, but he's giving Charlie the opportunity to rectify the situation and we'll just have to see how it plays out.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,508
  • Days Won:  422

6 hours ago, jchem1995 said:

I want our AD to do what Miami’s AD did after their asswhooping. Come out and say it’s unacceptable to lose like this. Nope we got a vote of confidence meely mouth response. I just so pissed that all the ground we have gained is now ripped out from our feet. 

Exactly what ground have we gained that Charlie ripped out from our feet?

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

11 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Uhhh...our AD is not a whimp...however he does not have any money to make a move...

I'll start by saying, I'm not doubting you, or saying you're wrong, but this bothers me every time it's brought up. I hate to keep bringing up the On-Campus Stadium thing, but teams like UAB & South Alabama are ahead of us on this. I remember reading an article asking why NM State even fields a team, and they have an OCS. Us? Nope. No $$$. We're simply not at FAU's level yet. Seriously, what is the deal here? Why are schools that average about half the attendance that we do making the OCS thing happen, and we can't even afford to fire a coach after two years of Texas paying his salary for us? Can we even afford an Offensive Coordinator, or will we just have Charlie call the offense in 2019? I understand we're not Clemson, or Bama, or Oregon, but are we really THAT bad off?

https://herosports.com/college-football/teams-playing-home-games-off-campus-aiai

Edited by USFBulls727

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

9 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

At the end of the day could they buy him out now? Yes. But it would be fiscally  irresponsible to do so....especially after one year later from paying off Skip and Harlan. 

9 hours ago, Brad said:

The AD is being paid $625,000 a year, should be able to deal with complex, big salary contracts like his own.

If it was that simple companies would never go out of business. To simply say do it anyway with creative finance skills without Knowing the details of the university’s athletic budget would be irresponsible. If any $ come out of the university’s creatively I would hope it would go to the IPF.

There are some who think it's fiscally irresponsible to even field a team. Last figures I heard was that the football team brought in $9Mil a year, with $12Mil in expenses. What company wouldn't go out of business in that case? When does the tight budget ever change if we are forever stuck in the G5? When would be a good time to move forward on the OCS? How exactly does the no $$$ thing ever change if we're stuck in this conference?

• Topic Count:  125
  • Content Count:  649
  • Days Won:  0

To read some of these comments and think I don't know what this program would do if it was actually P5. There are high schools that have bigger average attendance that USF.  A school with no money to hire or fire anyone in the modern era. Yet, the blame is always on the coaches and not these players. I warned you after the spring game that this team has very little talent. Just think that if CO and BK was were full time starters. Might have won 3 games all year.

Not trying to defend CCS due to the fact that he made some dumb personnel decisions. I sure would have played a lot more freshmen and still preserved their red shirts. I will also give him credit for getting rid of 11 players and 4 coaches. That is a ballsy move.