• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Holgorsen To Houston

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,241
  • Days Won:  255

Just now, TRUTH D. Antagonist said:

dammit Puc!

not THIS again

😄

But I gave solid concrete examples like how ruining lives around you by burning down their houses or getting them fired from their jobs will improve your life by proxy. 

• Haha 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,736
  • Days Won:  120

On 1/1/2019 at 12:18 PM, USFBulls727 said:

South Alabama has been in existence since 2009. They averaged 16K at home games this year, and that includes an unusually high 25K vs. in state rival Troy. They already have an OCS planned for 2020. I don't get how they can and we can't. We easily out-did them in attendance in 2018...and didn't we used to average around 40K at one time? Where is USA getting the money for this? Some in here will tell you that we're waiting to do it the right way, but will our situation be different 10 years from now without a P5 invite? The casual fan will never have a ton of interest in seeing us against Tulsa, Tulane, etc...Maybe after we win the AAC 10 consecutive times with eight different coaches, we can gain that local support and move forward on the OCS. Our athletics motto should be, "We Can't"

https://www.southalabama.edu/departments/publicrelations/pressreleases/111018stadium.html 

Their situation is a little different than ours-- as the stadium they play-- regardless of the amount of renovation done over the years-- was built in 1948. RJS was completed in 1998. Read the Wiki page on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladd–Peebles_Stadium

Honestly-- this general complaint about WHY haven't we built an OCS is getting pretty silly. WHERE we play has very little to do with HOW we play imo. The ENORMOUS cost to have anything remotely as nice as RJS on our campus is massive. We don't have the donors to support that type of construction. Where is USA getting their money? Hard to say but people give to programs in remote areas far more often than they do for schools situated like USF in Tampa (where UF, FSU, Miami alumni far out number our graduates). Another example might be FIU (corrected- said FAU previously)  - who had a stadium and simply rebuilt it piece meal. That took a bunch of money. The one game I went to there-- our visiting stands were simple bleachers on one side of the stadium - maybe they finished by now- that was 2008. Anyway-- that school had many locals with very deep pockets.

I have heard all the arguments for an OCS. Most of them are about feeling and not sound finances. Understand that whatever they built on campus will cost a ton of money, will be used - at least for football-- maybe 7 or 8 times a season (possibly 9 if you want to count a spring game) where fans are in the stands. Meanwhile-- the maintenance, debt service, and without fail "needed upgrades" will be an every day, every year occurrence. So we rent out what we need for a stadium across town. It is not unusual for a college located in a major metropolitan area to have this arrangement (Temple, Miami, Pitt and some others I am forgetting or that are marginally off campus like USC/UCLA). ANyway-- the point is simply that it is a method that works for the entire community of fans and makes the stadium as centrally located as possible. It is not in some remote area of St. Pete like Tropicana Field.

Don't get me wrong-- having an OCS would be great. Eventually we will get there I think. Or it is also possible that the school will shut down the football program entirely. Imagine if we have this huge stadium sitting on campus and no team to go watch play in it. My guess is this is the risk that the admin is unwilling to take primarily because USF has options that other schools do not. UCF was playing in the Citrus Bowl (off campus) for decades until it started to fall apart and they gave up on working with the city. Miami played in the Orange Bowl for decades and then eventually moved over to the Dolphins stadium once the Orange Bowl became too old to fix anymore. Pitt actually played on campus during all those glory years in the past, eventually went to Three Rivers and then decided to partner with the Steelers when they were building Heinz Field.

My point is simply that the question is not simply "WHY AREN'T THEY BUILDING IT?" --- there are just so many more variables and things to consider beyond going for it. Some of those things aren't generally known about the school itself-- which to my understanding does not own the land the campus is located on. It is land granted for the school on a 99 year lease. Try explaining that to your banker if you wanted to build on that leased land. They would expect you to cough up at least 50% of the total before lending.

Anyway -- sorry to get involved in this dang thing yet again. I got suckered into or maybe just wanted to ramble on about OCS again. Who knows. But when it comes to USF building one-- I would advise you not to just look at how others have made it happen, but also what risk/reward/hindrances are holding USF up in the first place. Right now-- the least risky of all by a very wide margin is to continue using RJS. How that suits the casual fan, P5 conferences, or whoever else that matters is pretty much background noise at best.

Edited by MikeG
corrected FAU to FIU -- when describing the game in 2008
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

14 minutes ago, MikeG said:

their situation is a little different than our-- as the stadium they play-- regardless of the amount of renovation done over the years-- was built in 1948. RJS was completed in 1998. Read the Wiki page on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladd–Peebles_Stadium

Honestly-- this general complaint about WHY haven't we built an OCS is getting pretty silly. WHERE we play has very little to do with HOW we play imo. The ENORMOUS cost to have anything remotely as nice as RJS on our campus is massive. We don't have the donors to support that type of construction. Where is USA getting their money? Hard to say but people give to programs in remote areas far more often than they do for schools situated like USF in Tampa (where UF, FSU, Miami alumni far out number our graduates). Another example might be FAU - who had a stadium and simply rebuilt it piece meal. That took a bunch of money. The one game I went to there-- our visiting stands were simple bleachers on one side of the stadium - maybe they finished by now- that was around 2008 IIRC. Anyway-- that school had many locals with very deep pockets.

I have heard all the arguments for an OCS. Most of them are about feeling and not sound finances. Understand that whatever they built on campus will cost a ton of money, will be used - at least for football-- maybe 7 or 8 times a season (possibly 9 if you want to count a spring game) where fans are in the stands. Meanwhile-- the maintenance, debt service, and without fail "needed upgrades" will be an every day, every year occurrence. So we rent out what we need for a stadium across town. It is not unusual for a college located in a major metropolitan area to have this arrangement (Temple, Miami, Pitt and some others I am forgetting or that are marginally off campus like USC/UCLA). ANyway-- the point is simply that it is a method that works for the entire community of fans and makes the stadium as centrally located as possible. It is not in some remote area of St. Pete like Tropicana Field.

Don't get me wrong-- having an OCS would be great. Eventually we will get there I think. Or it is also possible that the school will shut down the football program entirely. Imagine if we have this huge stadium sitting on campus and no team to go watch play in it. My guess is this is the risk that the admin is unwilling to take primarily because USF has options that other schools do not. UCF was playing in the Citrus Bowl (off campus) for decades until it started to fall apart and they gave up on working with the city. Miami played in the Orange Bowl for decades and then eventually moved over to the Dolphins stadium once the Orange Bowl became too old to fix anymore. Pitt actually played on campus during all those glory years in the past, eventually went to Three Rivers and then decided to partner with the Steelers when they were building Heinz Field.

My point is simply that the question is not simply "WHY AREN'T THEY BUILDING IT?" --- there are just so many more variables and things to consider beyond going for it. Some of those things aren't generally known about the school itself-- which to my understanding does not own the land the campus is located on. It is land granted for the school on a 99 year lease. Try explaining that to your banker if you wanted to build on that leased land. They would expect you to cough up at least 50% of the total before lending.

Anyway -- sorry to get involved in this dang thing yet again. I got suckered into or maybe just wanted to ramble on about OCS again. Who knows. But when it comes to USF building one-- I would advise you not to just look at how others have made it happen, but also what risk/reward/hindrances are holding USF up in the first place. Right now-- the least risky of all by a very wide margin is to continue using RJS. How that suits the casual fan, P5 conferences, or whoever else that matters is pretty much background noise at best.

Well stated.,

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

25 minutes ago, MikeG said:

their situation is a little different than our-- as the stadium they play-- regardless of the amount of renovation done over the years-- was built in 1948. RJS was completed in 1998. Read the Wiki page on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladd–Peebles_Stadium

Honestly-- this general complaint about WHY haven't we built an OCS is getting pretty silly. WHERE we play has very little to do with HOW we play imo. The ENORMOUS cost to have anything remotely as nice as RJS on our campus is massive. We don't have the donors to support that type of construction. Where is USA getting their money? Hard to say but people give to programs in remote areas far more often than they do for schools situated like USF in Tampa (where UF, FSU, Miami alumni far out number our graduates). Another example might be FAU - who had a stadium and simply rebuilt it piece meal. That took a bunch of money. The one game I went to there-- our visiting stands were simple bleachers on one side of the stadium - maybe they finished by now- that was around 2008 IIRC. Anyway-- that school had many locals with very deep pockets.

This, which I'm sure most of you have read, sums up the situation well, as basically is in line with what you mentioned above.

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/usf-football-stadium-study-go-big-or-go-home/67-578655015

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  581
  • Content Count:  22,611
  • Days Won:  108

8 hours ago, MikeG said:

Agree with everything you said.  Just wanted to point out that the game @  FAU in '08 or so was in a rented soccer stadium. Their new stadium opened in 2011.  This article also mentions that fund raising slowed and they had to postpone the start for a couple of years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAU_Stadium

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

22 hours ago, raptorcj said:

A rival.

I feel "win" anytime they take the loss.

I get it but..Personally I"d take a dominate winner over a hopeful bystander. We must win games and championsips then you can talk the talk.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  50
  • Days Won:  0

Edited by gobowls

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

11 hours ago, MikeG said:

Hall of Fame post.

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

17 hours ago, puc86 said:

It makes us smart. The only instance where it would benefit us for them to win would be if it somehow was a deciding factor in us becoming division champions but as we play them at the end of the season that is not a very likely idea. Everything is relative in life so you perceive and are perceived to be successful relative to how you stack up against those around you. That means we look better and feel better the more we win relative to those we are stacked against which means more wins makes us feel and look better as well as more losses for those we are being compared to also makes us feel and look better. What makes us look and feel the best? Going undefeated while they go defeated and we should always cheer for both at the same time and even if we only get one of them it's still better than the inverse. It would be like if your friend had a way better job than you there would be two ways to make your job better the first would be the conventional way of going out and getting a better job but the other less conventional but equally effective solution to improving your perception of your job relative to your friends is to get them fired from their job now making your bad job better than their no job, 

Whew !  It is always interesting to read the gospel according to puc86. There is some truth/logic to some of what you say kinda like walking around in a house of mirrors however, in the end, there is but one entrance and one exit.  

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344