• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why is OC hiring taking so long?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Ran into a USF coach at the American Football Coaches Conference in San Antonio where I live (was waiting to have dinner with Marquel). We had a good talk about how the season unfolded, how the cupboard wasn’t as stacked as we fans thought Taggart left us and how the fans rode Gilbert until the end. I mentioned Strong being on the hot seat (why sugar coat things). Wasn’t lost on him. He said the OC spot is down to two people. I’m assuming a decision is imminent. Interesting seeing thousands of coaches down here. Tough profession for sure. 

• Upvote 3

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  96,971
  • Days Won:  469

Indecision is the thief of opportunity
                                            -Jim Rohn

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

6 minutes ago, The Sheriff said:

Ran into a USF coach at the American Football Coaches Conference in San Antonio where I live (was waiting to have dinner with Marquel). We had a good talk about how the season unfolded, how the cupboard wasn’t as stacked as we fans thought Taggart left us and how the fans rode Gilbert until the end. I mentioned Strong being on the hot seat (why sugar coat things). Wasn’t lost on him. He said the OC spot is down to two people. I’m assuming a decision is imminent. Interesting seeing thousands of coaches down here. Tough profession for sure. 

Hopefully Gleeson is one of them, but I have a feeling that would be Bell and Burke?

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 minute ago, USFBulls727 said:

Hopefully Gleeson is one of them, but I have a feeling that would be Bell and Burke?

I'd bet it's down to Burke and whoever Kelly tells him the other guy is.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I’ll bet Bell...CCS knows the man and I think that is an important element. But yeah the Princeton coach sounds like the better option.   

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

15 minutes ago, JTrue said:

16 minutes ago, JTrue said:

This is ultimately Strong's decision though, is it not? I would hope it would be Kelly's call, because I can see Charlie handing it to Burke. I'm guessing the only way we get Gleeson is if Kelly makes the decision. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

18 minutes ago, USFBulls727 said:

This is ultimately Strong's decision though, is it not? I would hope it would be Kelly's call, because I can see Charlie handing it to Burke. I'm guessing the only way we get Gleeson is if Kelly makes the decision. 

Who knows if final call on hirings have to be formally approved by Kelly or not. I would imagine it's standard operating procedure to let the HC do the hiring, but it wouldn't surprise me if things like that are put into contracts or specifically left out.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

23 minutes ago, USFBulls727 said:

I agree but I really don't see Kelly having too much involvement into who he hires.

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

2 minutes ago, Calibull said:

I agree but I really don't see Kelly having too much involvement into who he hires.

If Kelly has to tell CCS who to hire then CCS should have been fired.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

5 minutes ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

If Kelly has to tell CCS who to hire then CCS should have been fired.

Interesting point. Of course from what I have heard Harlan had a good talking to with CWT during the off-season before we went on a roll. At the end of the day the VP is his boss.