• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Justin Burke will be the OC...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

29 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

You'd think we just went 0-12 around here for the tenth straight season. Jeeesh! There's work to do, but c'mon guys. We're overreacting because UCF is having such success. I still maintain that it's cyclical. They are not the next dynasty.

It’s not just the record or the UCF success.  It’s bigger than that.  Whether real or not there seems to be little commitment desire appetite or energy from all those involved at USF to take this program to the next level.  Maybe Kelly is the answer.  We shall see.  However right now we have no IPF.  Still looking for loose change to fund it.  An OCS is a pipe dream and will probably never happen.  We appear to be hamstrung on making coaching decisions because of a lack of funds.  This program is at a cross roads.  Make the commitment and go all in with whatever it takes or play it safe and drop back to FCS.  Continuing on with business as usual and we get left in the dust.  It’s already happening.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

Or, as I was taught growing up, you make do with what you have.  You don't go into debt and save for what you want to buy. We can maintain what we have but we will struggle to add major items like IPFs and OCSs.

We have exactly one family that can be considered billionaires in our donor group.  They've given probably close to $100 million ( I may be off on that) plus they build wings at hospitals.  It isn't just USF athletics on their philanthropy radar.  I don't think Gallagher and Tony Larussa are billionaires.  

Everyone wants to donate 20% of their net worth to an athletic program, right?

I saw Gallagher bagging groceries in Manchester, New Hampshire a few weeks ago...

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  76
  • Days Won:  0

8 minutes ago, El_Toro_86 said:

It’s not just the record or the UCF success.  It’s bigger than that.  Whether real or not there seems to be little commitment desire appetite or energy from all those involved at USF to take this program to the next level.  Maybe Kelly is the answer.  We shall see.  However right now we have no IPF.  Still looking for loose change to fund it.  An OCS is a pipe dream and will probably never happen.  We appear to be hamstrung on making coaching decisions because of a lack of funds.  This program is at a cross roads.  Make the commitment and go all in with whatever it takes or play it safe and drop back to FCS.  Continuing on with business as usual and we get left in the dust.  It’s already happening.

I see it the same way Toro does. All I hear is exscuse after excuse as to why we can’t do this or why we can’t do that. I am tired of hearing it, we need to **** or get off the pot! 

Sometimes you have to manufacture success, it’s not alway an incremental thing and I think that is why people still love Leavit so much because he had a vision for USF and it seemed like he truly loved the school and wanted to take it to the highest heights.  If we as fans and the administration see USF as a big player on the college scene then we need to act like it doing just enough to be moderately successful in the conference we are in won’t cut it.

Build a barebone stadium like FAU or UCF and upgrade it over time, we don’t need the Waldorf Astoria to start out like that dumb ass feasibility study suggested, give me a Comfort Inn and renovate it every few years until it’s a 5 star gem. Doak used to be ugly as hell and the swamp was upgraded over 100 years.

• Like 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  96,972
  • Days Won:  469

6 minutes ago, HPbull said:

I think that is why people still love Leavit so much because he had a vision for USF and it seemed like he truly loved the school and wanted to take it to the highest heights

Found this for you:

"For me, I never considered it that way (as a stepping stone), honestly. When I was offered the head job at South Florida, and I'm sincere about this, I never thought I would ever go anywhere."

-Jim Leavitt

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,003
  • Days Won:  38

3 hours ago, HPbull said:

Build a barebone stadium like FAU or UCF and upgrade it over time, we don’t need the Waldorf Astoria to start out like that dumb ass feasibility study suggested,

Trust me, that's the feedback I gave but apparently everyone else wants top amenities.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

14 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

Trust me, that's the feedback I gave but apparently everyone else wants top amenities.

If there was even one shred of evidence that an OCS would increase attendance, get us into a P5 conference, etc., I'd be on that bandwagon with you. 

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  96,972
  • Days Won:  469

There is none, we know that.  And today we learned it's academics anyway.

Rather, I think it's probably a combination of many things of which OCS, academics, W/L, TV market, etc., all plays a part.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

4 minutes ago, Brad said:

Rather, I think it's probably a combination of many things of which OCS, academics, W/L, TV market, etc., all plays a part.

I agree.  Unfortunately, we don't know how the, "criteria" is weighted.

Edited by Apis Bull

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I still don’t buy the money argument... I have a lot of faith in Mike Kelly... let’s let the guy work