• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Justin Burke will be the OC...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

5 hours ago, HPbull said:

That sums up USF in a nutshell! Always doing the conservative..... Sometimes you have to throw charts, feasibility studies, data points etc out the window and be willing to bet on yourself! 

You have to be willing to say at some point that “ I know we have a product that America would love to consume, we are a top tier university that strives to be the best that we can be in the classroom and on the field and I am willing invest in our product however risky it may be”.

Houston was willing to do it and don’t give me that tired line about being broke USF is far from broke and about deep pocket donors didn’t Vinik go to bat for USF in the pitch to join the Big 12? Go tap into those pockets if need be.

You must understand, we're no New Mexico State

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

10 minutes ago, Brad said:

At some point, if enough money cannot be found, it will be time to board it up.  That's the other reality.

Please wait until I am dead...after that you chumps are on your on...

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2017/7/8/15941214/financial-report-for-g5-schools-released-aac-c-usa-sun-belt-army-knights

Interesting that all but one CUSA team stayed out of the negative. We didn't.  FIU at a $1,609,708 surplus? That is with an OCS. Nobody attends their sporting events. We actually do pretty well attendance-wise for a G5 program....in football anyway. How does this work exactly?

Edited by USFBulls727

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  76
  • Days Won:  0

People keep talking about where will we get the money. If we are that broke as an athletic program close the whole **** thing down.

As an AD you have to tap in to the deep pockets, get creative, what’s $200 mil to a billionaire NOTHING, they will make that in interest in a year or two. Call Vinik and ask him the build the stadium on our campus, give him naming rights Vinik Stadium, split stadium revenue with him on all football games and non football events that utilize the stadium. Advertise his Tampa Bay Lighting during events and give him a press box to do with as he please.

I don’t know if he would say yes or no but I would be willing to try, we can’t maintain the do just enough attitude in today’s football landscape. You have to be all in because the next shift in college football may very well see us on the outside looking in. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

10 minutes ago, HPbull said:

People keep talking about where will we get the money. If we are that broke as an athletic program close the whole **** thing down.

As an AD you have to tap in to the deep pockets, get creative, what’s $200 mil to a billionaire NOTHING, they will make that in interest in a year or two. Call Vinik and ask him the build the stadium on our campus, give him naming rights Vinik Stadium, split stadium revenue with him on all football games and non football events that utilize the stadium. Advertise his Tampa Bay Lighting during events and give him a press box to do with as he please.

I don’t know if he would say yes or no but I would be willing to try, we can’t maintain the do just enough attitude in today’s football landscape. You have to be all in because the next shift in college football may very well see us on the outside looking in. 

Kelly has been here for like 15 minutes so some slack needs to be cut as he probably has not earned the right to make an “ask” to prospects. In terms of Vinik he has a net worth of $515 million (not exactly big time in the global world today)...yes that is a lot in my world but with his ownership of the Lightning (which cost him $170 million to purchase) and the costs associated with it, I suspect he does not have the capital to build a stadium...and why would he want to? What’s in it for him? Split the revenue? If you do that you might as well stay at RayJay. Vinik is not going to want a competitor for other events. The strategy will probably be small donations and build from there (does take time). I have heard Kelly talk about going after corporations in Tampa but he will need to put the time in as it will require multiple corporations who will start with small donations. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 minute ago, HPbull said:

As an AD you have to tap in to the deep pockets, get creative, what’s $200 mil to a billionaire NOTHING, they will make that in interest in a year or two.

You're clearly not a billionaire with such a shockingly poor grasp of math. But I applaud the energy. Go get ‘em tiger!

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

10 hours ago, HPbull said:

I’m starting to believe this is the right thing to do.  At least drop down to FCS and stop kidding ourselves.  It appears there’s very little appetite for major college football at USF and in the local community.  As we watch Houston and UCF make the commitments necessary, wise or unwise, they are signaling to the college football world that they are serious and doing what’s necessary to move forward.  If there is any type of realignment in the near future we won’t be a blip on the radar.  Meanwhile we’re struggling to find the money to build an IPF and with an OCS looking like it will never happen.  Maybe a new President will have a different vision for athletics than Judy had.  Only time will tell.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

15 hours ago, Brad said:

At some point, if enough money cannot be found, it will be time to board it up.  That's the other reality.

Or, as I was taught growing up, you make do with what you have.  You don't go into debt and save for what you want to buy. We can maintain what we have but we will struggle to add major items like IPFs and OCSs.

12 hours ago, HPbull said:

We have exactly one family that can be considered billionaires in our donor group.  They've given probably close to $100 million ( I may be off on that) plus they build wings at hospitals.  It isn't just USF athletics on their philanthropy radar.  I don't think Gallagher and Tony Larussa are billionaires.  

12 hours ago, JTrue said:

You're clearly not a billionaire with such a shockingly poor grasp of math. But I applaud the energy. Go get ‘em tiger!

Everyone wants to donate 20% of their net worth to an athletic program, right?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

21 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Or, as I was taught growing up, you make do with what you have.  You don't go into debt and save for what you want to buy. We can maintain what we have but we will struggle to add major items like IPFs and OCSs.

The Dave Ramsey model is a great way to run your household finances or an FCS program, however, it will take more creativity and some risk to run a major college football program with aspirations of competing at the highest level.  If the desire is not there then the Dave Ramsey FCS model should the direction USF goes.

• Topic Count:  353
  • Content Count:  4,088
  • Days Won:  56

You'd think we just went 0-12 around here for the tenth straight season. Jeeesh! There's work to do, but c'mon guys. We're overreacting because UCF is having such success. I still maintain that it's cyclical. They are not the next dynasty.