• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Critical juncture in USF football

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

5 hours ago, usf97 said:

In the meantime, enjoy and watch the Men's Basketball team. Gregory is a lot of fun and he just says it like it is. 

But does he want to be here?

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  25
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Excellent point...probably not a great game plan to count on two KO returns a game.

2 hours ago, NJUSFBULL said:

Let's not forget that to win this game, we needed TWO kick-off returns for a touchdown and a lucky fumble recovery in the fourth quarter.  Not sure any of those were in CCS's game plan.

I've thought for a while now the Tulane game was basically the GT game without kick returns and lucky fumble recoveries

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  356

2 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

We're way too small on defense. Khalid McGee played his heart out, but he is too small to play linebacker. Nick Roberts? Too small. Jaymon Thomas? Too thin. So many missed tackles and when we did tackle, the pile was always moving forward. Nobody was sturdy enough to stand up a RB, TE or decent sized WR and stuff them or drive them back. No DLineman got a push. That's where this whole reclamation needs to start if we're going to clean this up. Charlie knows it. Can he do anything about it? We'll see.

I agree with all of this.  What has me more concerned is that this was happening against terrible teams, filled with 2-star or non-ranked players.  

Four months ago, I firmly believed this would be a season of growth and the team would peak for the start of 2019 against Wisconsin & G-tech.  Now i'm afraid of telling friends and co-workers that I plan to fly down for the Wisconsin game for fear of being embarrassed.

On a side note, take a look at the top 25 football facilities in the link below.  If you're a 17-year old 4-star recruit, are you really coming to USF (or South Florida, I get so confused on which it is)?

https://247sports.com/college/kentucky/ContentGallery/Ranking-the-Top-25-facilities-in-college-football-for-2018-112072412/

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

8 hours ago, 79 Bull said:

Most of the team simply gave up the last few games and last night.  My tickets were in the 3rd row behind the bench and I was really surprised at the lack of enthusiasm and how many players were just milling around staring at the ground.  I even saw 2 defensemen who were in the game actually yawning and looking skyward when they were supposed to be huddled around a white board right in front of me.  When you lose the team, the whole program is in trouble.

This

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

3 hours ago, NJUSFBULL said:

On a side note, take a look at the top 25 football facilities in the link below.  If you're a 17-year old 4-star recruit, are you really coming to USF (or South Florida, I get so confused on which it is)?

https://247sports.com/college/kentucky/ContentGallery/Ranking-the-Top-25-facilities-in-college-football-for-2018-112072412/

You needed this list to figure out what 20 years of recruiting have already shown?

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

9 hours ago, 79 Bull said:

Most of the team simply gave up the last few games and last night.  My tickets were in the 3rd row behind the bench and I was really surprised at the lack of enthusiasm and how many players were just milling around staring at the ground.  I even saw 2 defensemen who were in the game actually yawning and looking skyward when they were supposed to be huddled around a white board right in front of me.  When you lose the team, the whole program is in trouble.

I was 5 rows behind the bench and saw the same thing

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

8 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

We're way too small on defense. Khalid McGee played his heart out, but he is too small to play linebacker. Nick Roberts? Too small. Jaymon Thomas? Too thin. So many missed tackles and when we did tackle, the pile was always moving forward. Nobody was sturdy enough to stand up a RB, TE or decent sized WR and stuff them or drive them back. No DLineman got a push. That's where this whole reclamation needs to start if we're going to clean this up. Charlie knows it. Can he do anything about it? We'll see.

This is really the whole thing in a nutshell. This board can blow up even with more threads about firing CCS, people withholding money, saying I'm done, blah blah blah but it's nothing more than a great catharsis for those so inclined. It would be an incredibly stupid move to fire him now, no matter what the contract situation is .... wouldn't send a very good message to any possible replacements ... would give fodder to those recruiting against us. Charlie's got to be given a chance to turn it back around, at least one more year. If next year is a continuation of the way this one ended, MK's going to have a tough decision to make.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  279

If there really are wholesale changes on the horizon, especially with the Staff, it will be interesting to see what that will bring.

I feel like we've been hearing about massive changes for months now.

17 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Charlie's got to be given a chance to turn it back around, at least one more year. If next year is a continuation of the way this one ended, MK's going to have a tough decision to make.

Hell of a time to come on as AD. The guy has a myriad of critical things on his plate all coming to a head at once. What a great opportunity. Hoping we look back at this critical juncture and see the beginnings of a real plan. It would be cool to have a direction, at least a defined one. Maybe that would help with identity or lack thereof.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

Not firing Strong now will be a mistake...unless we have a stud qb in freshmen class this team will really struggle for years.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

10 hours ago, Triple B said:

This is really the whole thing in a nutshell. This board can blow up even with more threads about firing CCS, people withholding money, saying I'm done, blah blah blah but it's nothing more than a great catharsis for those so inclined. It would be an incredibly stupid move to fire him now, no matter what the contract situation is .... wouldn't send a very good message to any possible replacements ... would give fodder to those recruiting against us. Charlie's got to be given a chance to turn it back around, at least one more year. If next year is a continuation of the way this one ended, MK's going to have a tough decision to make.

I'm not sure that telling a potential new coach that we fired a guy for losing 6 in a row and having to pull out a last minute win against Tulsa would be that hard to sell.  Depending on who you hire it may help recruiting.