• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

CCS: “I take the blame for those five games”

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

CCS: “I take the blame for those five games”

Thanks, you're the coach.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,141
  • Days Won:  2

Gus Malzahn was asked at halftime of the iron bowl how many trick plays he had for the game. He said about 3-4 more.

He knew he was outmatched, but still decided to do any he could to try to win. Our biggest gamble of the season was calling a HB dive on fourth down in the first half. 

Edited by BayIslandBull

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,007
  • Days Won:  38

10 hours ago, Roaming Bull said:

Whatever happened to the “it was I who predicted....” threads? I think we could all use a good laugh right about now.

Ah the ol' IT WAS I WHO PREDICTED THE DOWNFALL OF USF

• Haha 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,324
  • Days Won:  10

3 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

Ah the ol' IT WAS I WHO PREDICTED THE DOWNFALL OF USF

Rocky, your tagline quote reminded me of something I have been mulling for a few weeks.  Now, I have already admitted to low football acumen, BUT:

This conference is killing us (moreso, UCiF).  Lack of continuity in coaching (AAC  good coaches will continue to get P5 pilfered).  Weak scheduling negates any exceptional performances.  No one cares or knows about AAC.  It's just CUSA 2.0.  So, and realizing there are probably many reasons we can't, can we go independent in football?  I don't believe that any P5 conference will expand and choose an AAC team any time soon.  There is a stigma.  But choosing an Independent school might be less stigmatized by the other P5 conferences.  Anyway, I guess it shows my despair with our current conference affiliation.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,801
  • Days Won:  0

Coach Strong is lost and doesn’t know what to do

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

52 minutes ago, Grateful Dad said:

So, and realizing there are probably many reasons we can't, can we go independent in football?  I don't believe that any P5 conference will expand and choose an AAC team any time soon.  There is a stigma.  But choosing an Independent school might be less stigmatized by the other P5 conferences.  Anyway, I guess it shows my despair with our current conference affiliation.

I have given this thought also. From a football only perspective the only thing you are risking is the TV money associated with the AAC, scheduling challenges, the AAC championship game and playing for "something". 

As you have pointed out, G5 is merely one long exhibition season. Every season we are playing for shear "love of the game" much like Army or Umass. They are literally playing for nothing every year.  However, the conference does give the appearance that you a playing for some kind of purpose. UCF's last two seasons have revealed to the masses that we are playing for literally "nothing" and then we get P5 commissioners who tell us we need to schedule better. 

I can only think of one way to mitigate this purgatory that the G5 schools find themselves in but I doubt it could be implemented because it requires all the G5 schools to work together. 

All G5 schools lower their affiliation to FCS level en masse and refuse to schedule P5 schools going forward. 

Maybe the P5 schools wouldn't care but it would be an immense shift that currently I do not think the P5 schools are prepared to deal with. In that scenario, USF would at least be playing for one of the 24 slots into the FCS playoff. 

Edited by usf97
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  831
  • Days Won:  0

12 hours ago, DELdaBull said:

Anytime as a coach you say, "We just weren't prepared" as much a Strong said it this season you are essentially saying, "I suck as a head coach"

Let's jut be honest here, CCS is not head coaching material.

He did well in L'ville because he got a special athlete to come and play QB there.

Teddy was a play-maker and that's not coaching.

CCS failed at Texas and is failing here.

How long do you give him?

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

12 hours ago, Bausfkid said:

What an enviable spot to be in.  If CCS takes blame he's awful and if he doesn't he's awful.  

Perhaps our "fans" weren't prepared for the season.  

Go Bulls!

a coach should take responsibility for a team's shortcomings but just because he does doesn't mean he shouldn't be criticized for them.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

10 hours ago, Calibull said:

I'll wait to see what Strong does next.  I know as quickly as a coach is hated, he's loved.  If we got the right OC, I think we could win the conference.  I think BJM will have his best defensive team next season... lots of moving parts this year that will be settled positions next season.  I've actually had to reconsider what I thought about Reaves at LB.  I think him and Sawtelle will be the starters next season and that would be a pretty solid starting group.  If you put the talent on offense in the right hands, USF could be in a really good spot next season.  So I'm open to seeing what Charlie does next season.  Typically the 3rd is the best. 

Do you have a year to go with that prediction?  Please don't tell me 2019.  

Sawtelle may not play football again.

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

13 hours ago, bowman1 said:

Joey totally misfired on this article - it should have centered around why either coach would wear a necklace made of crab trap buoys

And a possums skull....