• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

AAC Not Even a Mention

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

Just now, BrassBulls12 said:

Link to ESPN's predictor?  Look it up.  Why would I lie?

Doesn't matter what people say.   The committee decided that Bama was better than a team they lost to a week earlier and deserved to be in the CFP more than them.  Absurd.

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

10 minutes ago, Triple B said:

It is a possibility, if not probable ....

I mean if there are five undefeated conference champions then yes, and there is a chance a one loss conference champion could jump an undefeated champion but we haven't seen that yet. 

I would point to Wisconsin on 2017, they had an awful SOS but were still ranked 3rd heading into the big 10 title game, that they lost. 

1 minute ago, chapelbull said:

Link to ESPN's predictor?  Look it up.  Why would I lie?

Doesn't matter what people say.   The committee decided that Bama was better than a team they lost to a week earlier and deserved to be in the CFP more than them.  Absurd.

Because its your point to prove not mine, but I understand thats not your strong suit, 

and that team had two more losses than Bama. 

Because its your point to prove not mine,

I'm not here to waste my time "proving" points to people who want to debate for the sake of debating.  Look it up if you want or don't.

Just now, chapelbull said:

I'm not here to waste my time "proving" points to people who want to debate for the sake of debating.  Look it up if you want or don't.

If you aren't here to debate or back up you points, why make them? Why are you here? 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

For the record:  Colorado had no chance because they sucked ( fired head coach), not because of the P5 meanies or ESPN.  

• Upvote 1

If you aren't here to debate or back up you points, why make them? Why are you here? 

To discuss relevant topics

Just now, Brad said:

For the record:  Colorado had no chance because they sucked ( fired head coach), not because of the P5 meanies or ESPN.  

That's a different discussion.  They were eliminated according to ESPN's system before they lost.  Whether the committee would have eliminated them if they figured out a way to keep winning is open for discussion.  The fact that there are so many open areas for discussion is why the current system is ridiculous.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  144

wow-- long thread. Here are my thoughts.

1) While it has been my experience that most fans of the P5 teams loathe having to play the G5 teams in NY6 type game-- and this goes back from the very first time the G5 was given a path to these games under the BCS system -- and that one MIGHT assume the P5 football teams are equally lacking for enthusiasm for these games in most cases which has led to those teams LOSING and everyone sort of shrugging and saying "so what?" --- that scenario to me is changing. Mostly it is changing because of all the barking teams like UCF fans are doing who feel they BELONG in the CFP. Hey-- they might belong and perhaps even have a shot of winning if they were included. But the fact is the system is NEVER going to actually let them them in because it is set up to keep ALL G5 out through various levels of road blocks (see below). No-- it is not fair. NO one said life is fair. But back to the point-- I am certain Auburn did everything they could to win that game last year. They may have been a little over confident and it bit them in the arse but all the talk by UCF had to have them chomping at the bit to win that game-- so it was a big game for both teams and based on that UCF earned it. I do not feel that win should be considered "National Championship" worthy but that is their billboard to cross (USF reference to when our stupid admins put up the annoying "Big Four" billboard after we beat FSU). Trust me-- the P5 will be trying to destroy any G5 in these games going forward to crush this talk of inclusion. And you can bet they will try to pick the team they feels best matches up against whatever G5 is playing to give them the best shot at throttling them as well.

2) Whether is it FAIR or not-- this is the system and all the whining in the world is not going to change that the P5 controls this championship and will NEVER (and I stand by this--- regardless of schedule or results) - NEVER LET A G5 into the CFP 4 team format as it stands now. The only real shot would be to expand this playoff system but again-- even in that scenario where a G5 gets put in-- you can bet they will be playing the best P5 team in the playoffs that first round. I've made this point before and had people yell at me that "so what-- we are in the playoffs". It matters because it is not how seeding works. It will just be another example of how they try to thwart any G5 from winning. It would be better than what exists now but I am not holding my breath.

3) This is not about UCF specifically. At least not for me. I can appreciate the solid run they have been on. I am not convinced they are deserving of being in the CFP this season-- last year I thought they were better. Milton being out definitely impacts their offense imo but all things being equal, I'm just not convinced they were challenged enough  this season by quality teams. To be fair though-- this CFP is more or less Bama and everyone else. They are simply dominating. I am not a fan of ND being in the playoffs-- their schedule was typical for them but also had lots of teams that were weaker than normal (I mean beating a 5-7 USC isn't exactly earth shattering). The win against Michigan is pretty much the key factor but that was the first game.

4) Short of having the playoffs expanded, the only way to the CFP is by getting into one the P5 conferences. As much as some have downplayed the 80% of the teams in the P5 "having no shot"-- I hope they understand that most of those teams are trying their arses off to get there. It is an arms race-- and the money and alumni bases are the weapons of mass destruction. Don't let the humble but lovable teams fool you-- they are all out for blood. We have been swimming in the kiddie pool since 2003 (CUSA) and have never even won our conference. It isn't going to get easier in a P5- provided we can even get there some day. If you think about these factors for a moment-- you start to understand why being 12-1 Oklahoma is outright impressive. Or that Georgia at 11-2 was robbed not getting in while Notre Dame got in by their reputation/name recognition more so than who they beat.

hey look-- I get it. UCF had another great season and has all sorts of things to be proud of to be sure. They should be happy with winning the conference yet again and getting to play in the NY6 bowl. But whining about being excluded is pointless. No one is listening. No one is going to change their system. It is not remotely fair but then again it sort of is in some regards. It is called being excluded-- and we all need to embrace that as our fate. It has been like that since the demise of the BCS (the previous form of exclusion). Which makes it suck that much more for USF fans-- who actually got a few years to sort of feel like it was to be in a somewhat respectable conference.

anyway-- that is my opinion. Don't ask me to provide facts or prove my point or expect me to debate this any further. Because like our chances at the CFP (as it stands now)-- it is pointless. We have known this since it was put in place. We were proven this was the case last season. It will not change by talking about it on this message board over and over. Lawsuits? good luck. Future scheduling? won't matter short of being in the P5. Embrace the suck of G5 life people - it is our reality. Either get on board with caring about winning the conference or waste your time thinking about how unfair it is but it is not changing any time soon.

Happy Holidays folks!

ROADBLOCKS

Restricting scheduling relevant P5s followed by complaining that they didn't schedule those teams;

low pre-season rankings that thwart early momentum in polls and in turn public opinion;

media outlets beating the drum that these conferences are inferior which denigrates any success in those conferences;

blocking the G5 from the lucrative TV revenues to help build facilities and aid recruiting;

the establishment of a backroom committee to determine who gets into the CFP where basically the point is this is about the P5 championship and the money involved

and there probably more I am not thinking of currently.

Edited by MikeG

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  144

28 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

That's a different discussion.  They were eliminated according to ESPN's system before they lost.  Whether the committee would have eliminated them if they figured out a way to keep winning is open for discussion.  The fact that there are so many open areas for discussion is why the current system is ridiculous.

my advice-- stop watching ESPN other than to see the games themselves.