• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Old Guys Don't Last in Today's Game

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

1 minute ago, Ghostbuster said:

I agree up to a point; but I mean when does a head coach take responsibility for what's happening or not happening with the team.

If he's not taking a direct role in helping the coordinators that need help, who will?  And if he is trying to help it's not working.

Every coach has one side of the ball they focus on and one side of the ball that is on the Coordinator, Strong's is specialty is Defense. He does take responsibility in the fact that he is the one who hired Gilbert. My guess would be if strong did get involved on offense, it wouldn't work because he has never really coached offense. It would the blind leading the blind. So he put his faith in Gilbert to fix it. 

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, Ghostbuster said:

I agree up to a point; but I mean when does a head coach take responsibility for what's happening or not happening with the team.

If he's not taking a direct role in helping the coordinators that need help, who will?  And if he is trying to help it's not working.

Bottom line the HC has to take responsibility for his coaches.  if they aren't performing they should be let go.  people say Charlie Strong is defense, well, I will point to Temple, up 17-0 and loose in convincing fashion.  Charlie Stron is a nice man who can not coach or lead ( he himself said he couldn't be the leader of the team.)

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

18 minutes ago, snarling Bull said:

Bottom line the HC has to take responsibility for his coaches.  if they aren't performing they should be let go.  people say Charlie Strong is defense, well, I will point to Temple, up 17-0 and loose in convincing fashion.  Charlie Stron is a nice man who can not coach or lead ( he himself said he couldn't be the leader of the team.)

The defense only gave up 13 points that game. What he meant by he couldn't be the leader on the team was that a player has to step up and be that leader. We lacked that. 

Edited by BrassBulls12

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Actually old guys last plenty long...

1F027EEE-B1E3-464A-AE78-04900CFB921D.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  144
  • Days Won:  0

6 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Actually old guys last plenty long...

1F027EEE-B1E3-464A-AE78-04900CFB921D.jpeg

Charlie could probably use some blue diamonds

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

12 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Defense still wins championships. I would still rather have a defensive minded head coach and innovative OC. We just need to find the later. 

Last year, UCF's last two games were 49-42 against us, and 62-55 against Memphis in the CC. They won 56-41 today. I'd say the offense won Championships in those cases....

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

21 minutes ago, USFBulls727 said:

Last year, UCF's last two games were 49-42 against us, and 62-55 against Memphis in the CC. They won 56-41 today. I'd say the offense won Championships in those cases....

True but I’ve seen many many more teams lose with great offenses and poor defenses. There are always exceptions but give me a kick ass defense and an adaquate offense (which we are no where near being) everyday...again my personal preference. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

1 minute ago, NewEnglandBull said:

True but I’ve seen many many more teams lose with great offenses and poor defenses. There are always exceptions but give me a kick ass defense and an adaquate offense (which we are no where near being) and we will roll. 

Agreed. Hopefully that adequate offense is in place to start 2019. We actually have the chance to make some waves with the SOS we will have next year.

• Upvote 1