• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Kelly sticks with Strong

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,427
  • Days Won:  3

12 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

We were up tempo. The issue was play calling which strong has nothing to do with. 

Right, so hiring someone who calls something other than HB dives mighttt change what we're doing on offense on a regular basis, maybe.

An outside run would be nice every once in a while.

Let's just hope someone can convince Charlie that there's other styles of offenses out there... 😕

I mean the guy coached and won under Urban Meyer, how the hell does he not implement an offense like that down here?

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

2 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

You're right.  HC's have nothing to do with how an offense is run. Those OCs are hired completely independently and do their own thing with zero regard for what the HC wants done.  Hell we should eliminate the HC position and just hire OCs, DC's and a STC and save the university some money.  Maybe we can get that IPF built sometime this century.

@Roaming Bull POPCORN!  Quick!

Some HC have a lot to say about offense, Taggart for example, some head coaches a lot to say about defense, Strong for example. The only decisions strong makes are clock management decisions, which effects fourth down and whether or not we kneel. Everything else is on Gilbert and its his job to make those decisions obsolete. I have already shown how Gilbert's offense had the same tendencies before Strong you have yet to show how it has changed since strong. Which suggest that strong doesn't influence offense only when we use special teams and decide to go to half. 

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

5 minutes ago, zarnozdabull said:

I mean the guy coached and won under Urban Meyer, how the hell does he not implement an offense like that down here?

Because the HC has no influence on how an offense is run.  Pay attention ..... 

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

2 minutes ago, zarnozdabull said:

Right, so hiring someone who calls something other than HB dives mighttt change what we're doing on offense on a regular basis, maybe.

An outside run would be nice every once in a while.

Let's just hope someone can convince Charlie that there's other styles of offenses out there... 😕

Yeah, I think there is a chance that Strong got a bit hoodwinked with Gilbert and Mattox. He grabbed him from a top 25 Tulsa offense thinking he would bring that high powered Baylor inspired offense with him. The problem is that the Tulsa offense was probably ran more by Phillip Montgomery, who was the Art Briles disciple so it didn't really transfer. 

20 minutes ago, zarnozdabull said:

Yep, nevermind.

Nothing will change.

Not even if he hired Kliff Kingsbury and his playbook.

Absolutely nothing would've changed offensively.

The point is he wouldn't hire Kliff Kingsbury or his playbook unless he was ok with slinging the ball around the yard.  But again he has no influence so maybe Kliff Kingsbury will be magically hired and run that offense since our HC has no influence on what type of offense we run

3 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

The point is he wouldn't hire Kliff Kingsbury or his playbook unless he was ok with slinging the ball around the yard.  But again he has no influence so maybe Kliff Kingsbury will be magically hired and run that offense since our HC has no influence on what type of offense we run

THIS IS MY POINT.

ok now youre just trolling.

4 minutes ago, zarnozdabull said:

THIS IS MY POINT.

ok now youre just trolling.

Well, your original point was he had nothing to do with offense but we had to convince him that college football wasn't about the running game anymore .....

Who's trolling?

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, chapelbull said:

I'm just curious about the Gilbert has to go mentality if we're ok with CCS staying.  What makes anyone think that will change things?

Defense significantly got better last season under a defensive minded head coach. If he can put stubbornness aside we can have a good offense, too. This most likely cannot be done under Gilbert so he has to go. The argument can be made that defense didn’t do well this season but it showed a ton of improvement the last two games. Didn’t look great the final quarter against C. but it’s the one unit I can say improved by the end of the season. Offense regressed almost game after game. 

Just now, chapelbull said:

Well, your original point was he had nothing to do with offense but we had to convince him that college football wasn't about the running game anymore .....

Who's trolling?

My original post was an answer to your question:

”would firing Gilbert and keeping Strong change things?”

my answer was yes.

The Head Coach hires the Offensive Coordinator.

The Offensive Coordinator runs the offense via playcalling.

If the offense sucks because the Offensive Coordinator is bad at playcalling, then the Head Coach can change things by hiring another Offensive Coordinator to run the offense and call different plays.

I don’t know how much more simple I can

make it.

Head Coach hires Offensive Coordinator.

Offensive Coordinator runs offense.

THE ******* END.

Thanks for clarifying.  It helps when you space it out like that.  Maybe pictures in the future