• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Strength and Conditioning....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

Strong and company be like

OQjNjHU.png

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

16 hours ago, Bull Dozer said:

I wouldn't be surprised to Coach Moorer let go after the bowl.    We have some guys on campus that have been here 2 years and are basically the same size as they were when they got here out of high school.  A guy like Kegler is a perfect example he came out of high school at around 270-275lbs and is currently only 280lbs.  DT is a position where putting on weight shouldn't be an issue but for Kegler to barely gain weight while not having a noticeable body composition change (it's not like hes putting on muscle and leaning out) is pretty alarming.  Then you look at a guy like Kierston Johnson who needed to be built up physically because he came in as an undersized LB.  In this case he HAS had a body composition change however that change looks like it is mostly bad weight as he is noticeable carrying around a gut.    Nico Sawtelle and Khalid Magee are the same size as last season and the list really could go on and on. Then add in that some returning guys look slower than they did last season (McCants is a glaring example) and you have to take a serious look at our S&C program and the guy running it. Strong mentioned not being happy with the size of his players and linked it recruiting but in reality we haven't built the young guys we have up since they got here when Moorer arrived with CCS.   Just something to keep an eye on as it would be a major change to the program even though it would seem small to some people.   

Not being a **** or anything... but looking at weights on D-linemen don't tell the story of their fitness or strength. Not defending the S&C coach, because I don't know much about him.  What I do know is a lot of guys have gotten stronger... Bigger isn't always better.  Kegler is right where he should be around 280.  If he's 280 next season I'd worry but he looked pretty strong.  He'll be better next season... I mean Hector didn't just blow up over night... his weight came on gradually.  Senat and Hector had the good fortune of redshirting and Bruce put on size the redshirt year.  He went from 270 to 280.  I didn't see strength and conditioning as an issue this year.  Our issue was we didn't have enough LBs with experience and guys played without discipline at times. 

McGee is 15 pounds heavier than last season, that's been pretty well documented and even written about leading into the season.  He was 190 last season and a safety.  Kierston Johnson looks fine to me.  I don't think we have a bad S & C coach.  I actually think he's done well with some guys weights.  Bronson got bigger under Strong actually. He was 272-274 forever.  

Edited by Calibull

McCants just got fat... nothing good at all about all that weight.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

not much s&C to do the HB dive.    I just remember Strong being so proud that most of the guys had lost weight.  Bring back Staub- he can call out the coaches this time!!

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

I have no idea if its good or bad but the departing lineman did say this staff wasnt holding players accountable for missing sessions like Taggarts staff did.  No reason to lie about that when he was mainly mad at the line coach.

• Upvote 1

On 12/1/2018 at 11:18 AM, BrowardBull17 said:

Jimmy Bayes didnt get any bigger in his entire career. 

Yeah he did... he came in 205 and left 230.  Watched him play in high school at the Marine all star game.  He was 205 there... I never saw 225 until he got to USF.

Edited by Calibull

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1
  • Days Won:  0

Strong will never get rid of the strength coach moorer because he is the one who takes care of discipline on the team.  The biggest let down, strength wise, has been the o-line where Mayse and Norman have regressed.  How can you run a power offense when your veteran offensive linemen can not do 20 reps at 225?  Matrix ran off Galatti, Polk and Larkin who were 3 of the strongest players on the O-Line.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,937
  • Days Won:  12

10 minutes ago, Unreasonabull said:

Strong will never get rid of the strength coach moorer because he is the one who takes care of discipline on the team.  The biggest let down, strength wise, has been the o-line where Mayse and Norman have regressed.  How can you run a power offense when your veteran offensive linemen can not do 20 reps at 225?  Matrix ran off Galatti, Polk and Larkin who were 3 of the strongest players on the O-Line.

That's a hell of a first post. Someone knows their USF football

20 minutes ago, Unreasonabull said:

To be honest Mayes wasn't that good last season nor this season.  He got beat a lot and that didn't really have anything to do with S&C... he's an average OT and should actually be a guard.  The only reason he's there is because we had a really bad run with OTs so we switched him from DT, where he underperformed also.  Maybe Norman wasn't as good as everyone thought.  Flowers wasn't back there making the Oline look good.  He hid a lot of deficiencies with the Oline.  Larkan sucked and Polk was concussions.  I'm not sure how he ran guys off.  The 20 reps of 225... that's combine ****.  I know guys who can bench nearly 400 pounds and can't do 20 reps with 225 and know guys who can barely bench 350 who can put it up 25 times.   So not sure what you're getting at with that.  Don't know Galatti... but being strong doesn't make you good.  We need quality olinemen who don't have to rely on a QB saving every play.