Jump to content
  • USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

    It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

Strength and Conditioning....


Recommended Posts


  • Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Reputation:   2,041
  • Days Won:  45
  • Joined:  09/04/2006

I wouldn't be surprised to Coach Moorer let go after the bowl.    We have some guys on campus that have been here 2 years and are basically the same size as they were when they got here out of high school.  A guy like Kegler is a perfect example he came out of high school at around 270-275lbs and is currently only 280lbs.  DT is a position where putting on weight shouldn't be an issue but for Kegler to barely gain weight while not having a noticeable body composition change (it's not like hes putting on muscle and leaning out) is pretty alarming.  Then you look at a guy like Kierston Johnson who needed to be built up physically because he came in as an undersized LB.  In this case he HAS had a body composition change however that change looks like it is mostly bad weight as he is noticeable carrying around a gut.    Nico Sawtelle and Khalid Magee are the same size as last season and the list really could go on and on. Then add in that some returning guys look slower than they did last season (McCants is a glaring example) and you have to take a serious look at our S&C program and the guy running it. Strong mentioned not being happy with the size of his players and linked it recruiting but in reality we haven't built the young guys we have up since they got here when Moorer arrived with CCS.   Just something to keep an eye on as it would be a major change to the program even though it would seem small to some people.   

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  7,917
  • Reputation:   2,250
  • Days Won:  27
  • Joined:  12/14/2005

2 hours ago, Bull Dozer said:

I wouldn't be surprised to Coach Moorer let go after the bowl.    We have some guys on campus that have been here 2 years and are basically the same size as they were when they got here out of high school.  A guy like Kegler is a perfect example he came out of high school at around 270-275lbs and is currently only 280lbs.  DT is a position where putting on weight shouldn't be an issue but for Kegler to barely gain weight while not having a noticeable body composition change (it's not like hes putting on muscle and leaning out) is pretty alarming.  Then you look at a guy like Kierston Johnson who needed to be built up physically because he came in as an undersized LB.  In this case he HAS had a body composition change however that change looks like it is mostly bad weight as he is noticeable carrying around a gut.    Nico Sawtelle and Khalid Magee are the same size as last season and the list really could go on and on. Then add in that some returning guys look slower than they did last season (McCants is a glaring example) and you have to take a serious look at our S&C program and the guy running it. Strong mentioned not being happy with the size of his players and linked it recruiting but in reality we haven't built the young guys we have up since they got here when Moorer arrived with CCS.   Just something to keep an eye on as it would be a major change to the program even though it would seem small to some people.  

I’ve been banging this drum all year long.  All of these are excellent example of the lack of strength and conditioning development under coach Moorer.  Even BK looked a little thicker around the middle this year and not in a good way.  S&C coach has more interaction with the players than any other coach on the staff and is an extremely important coach and I hope Strong and MK really take a look at it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Reputation:   2,041
  • Days Won:  45
  • Joined:  09/04/2006

Just now, El_Toro_86 said:

I’ve been banging this drum all year long.  All of these are excellent example of the lack of strength and conditioning development under coach Moorer.  Even BK looked a little thicker around the middle this year and not in a good way.  S&C coach has more interaction with the players than any other coach on the staff and is an extremely important coach and I hope Strong and MK really take a look at it.

Between that and the amount of injuries it needs to be SERIOUSLY evaluated (I'd prefer a change).   S&C isn't just about getting bigger, stronger, faster, injury prevention is a HUGE part of that and it doesn't look like what we did was effective.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Reputation:   2,041
  • Days Won:  45
  • Joined:  09/04/2006

13 minutes ago, El_Toro_86 said:

I’ve been banging this drum all year long.  All of these are excellent example of the lack of strength and conditioning development under coach Moorer.  Even BK looked a little thicker around the middle this year and not in a good way.  S&C coach has more interaction with the players than any other coach on the staff and is an extremely important coach and I hope Strong and MK really take a look at it.

McCants has never been super lean by any means but there was definitely more of him to love this season.....   

Edited by Bull Dozer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  7,917
  • Reputation:   2,250
  • Days Won:  27
  • Joined:  12/14/2005

When Dan Mullens took over at UF, one of the first he noticed was the poor S&C under McElwain.  He improved the S&C program at UF and I would venture to guess that was a big part in their turnaround 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Reputation:   2,041
  • Days Won:  45
  • Joined:  09/04/2006

4 minutes ago, El_Toro_86 said:

When Dan Mullens took over at UF, one of the first he noticed was the poor S&C under McElwain.  He improved the S&C program at UF and I would venture to guess that was a big part in their turnaround 

Love him or hate him CWT made sure we had that part of the house in order.  I mean heck look what happened when he got to Oregon and how our players reacted.   We had an intense and effective system before Moorer got here.   Same thing happened under Skip which is why when CWT showed up he was benching more than some of our OL.....   S&C is often the forgotten cog in the machine of great programs...  

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,083
  • Reputation:   364
  • Days Won:  2
  • Joined:  10/24/2011

S&C may have been the biggest problem this year. However, Moorer and Strong have a long history together. He's not likely to be fired imo.

"In his 27th year in collegiate coaching in 2018, Moorer spent the previous seven seasons before coming to USF as head strength and conditioning coach on head coach Charlie Strong's staffs at Texas (2014-16) and Louisville (2010-13). Moorer and Strong were first part of the same program in 1988, when Moorer played linebacker and Strong served as outside linebackers coach at the University of Florida."

https://gousfbulls.com/staff.aspx?staff=274

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  3,588
  • Reputation:   709
  • Days Won:  0
  • Joined:  08/20/2008

5 minutes ago, BayIslandBull said:

S&C may have been the biggest problem this year. However, Moorer and Strong have a long history together. He's not likely to be fired imo.

"In his 27th year in collegiate coaching in 2018, Moorer spent the previous seven seasons before coming to USF as head strength and conditioning coach on head coach Charlie Strong's staffs at Texas (2014-16) and Louisville (2010-13). Moorer and Strong were first part of the same program in 1988, when Moorer played linebacker and Strong served as outside linebackers coach at the University of Florida."

https://gousfbulls.com/staff.aspx?staff=274

This is a bad pattern of friend nepotism 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...