• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

As if it wasn't humiliating enough...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  314
  • Days Won:  0

.. losing to our hated rivals, by 4 touchdowns, at home, without their best player for the majority of the game. Something else has been bothering me, and here it is:

Oveido college has completely outdone USF in their ability to replace a coach when there's already a great team in place. They bring in a young offensive mind as first time coach. AND HE CHANGES NOTHING. They look exactly the same as last year (perhaps a little softer on defense with the losses of a couple of NFL players). 

I've lived through the Skip Holtz years and his mis-management of BJ Daniels was deplorable, I was there for McNeese, I was watching in the Sundome when Rutgers got all the breaks in 2007....

NOTHING however will continue to haunt me more in the years to come then Strong/Sterlin inheriting Quinton Flowers and that team full of NFL players and completely overhauling the most successful offensive system we have ever had, instead installing some ancient obsolete B12 scheme that completely handcuffed Q and his ability to create, whilst simultaneously establishing a passive, play-it-safe game management style. Miraculously, we won 10 games thanks to some unbelievable dynamics from Q but that early loss against Houston was a sign of things to come this year. 

There should be a criminal charge for wasted potential, I have no doubt in my mind had we hired Heupel last year (not saying he was available) we would have been undefeated going into the UCF game and probably would have won it.

Rant over... jokes, it will never be over.

• Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

29 minutes ago, LewSFBulls said:

.. losing to our hated rivals, by 4 touchdowns, at home, without their best player for the majority of the game. Something else has been bothering me, and here it is:

Oveido college has completely outdone USF in their ability to replace a coach when there's already a great team in place. They bring in a young offensive mind as first time coach. AND HE CHANGES NOTHING. They look exactly the same as last year (perhaps a little softer on defense with the losses of a couple of NFL players). 

I've lived through the Skip Holtz years and his mis-management of BJ Daniels was deplorable, I was there for McNeese, I was watching in the Sundome when Rutgers got all the breaks in 2007....

NOTHING however will continue to haunt me more in the years to come then Strong/Sterlin inheriting Quinton Flowers and that team full of NFL players and completely overhauling the most successful offensive system we have ever had, instead installing some ancient obsolete B12 scheme that completely handcuffed Q and his ability to create, whilst simultaneously establishing a passive, play-it-safe game management style. Miraculously, we won 10 games thanks to some unbelievable dynamics from Q but that early loss against Houston was a sign of things to come this year. 

There should be a criminal charge for wasted potential, I have no doubt in my mind had we hired Heupel last year (not saying he was available) we would have been undefeated going into the UCF game and probably would have won it.

Not sure you can say we would be undefeated going into UCF.  It was defensive breakdown that lead to our loss vs Houston. 

Agree with most of the rest of the post. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

4 hours ago, LewSFBulls said:

If I write an email to VPofA I think I'd mention about Sterlin coming in and not watching film of our team.  That tells you all you need to know about him.  As for Charlie, great guy, but the game seems to be passing him by.  

• Like 1

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

4 hours ago, LewSFBulls said:

Oveido college has completely outdone USF in their ability to replace a coach when there's already a great team in place. They bring in a young offensive mind as first time coach. AND HE CHANGES NOTHING. 

Actually, Heupel changed quite a bit from what the ikd staff did.

1) He brought in Randy Shannon to change the defense from a 3-4 to a 4-3 who had lost their star players (Hughes and Griffin) and some DL Seniors.

2) Heupel really change the speed of offense with a.lot less substitutions, while changing a short passing game into a longer North/South passing attack.

3) He rotated out a very promising RB Otis Anderson and replaced with with former walk on RB McCrae, who lead the team in rushing while averaging almost 9 yds a carry without starting more than 1 game 

Good news is that those changes worked too.

Edited by Knight_Light

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

16 minutes ago, Knight_Light said:

Actually, Heupel changed quite a bit from what the ikd staff did.

1) He brought in Randy Shannon to change the defense from a 3-4 to a 4-3 who had lost their star players (Hughes and Griffin) and some DL Seniors.

2) Heupel really change the speed of offense with a.lot less substitutions, while changing a short passing game into a longer North/South passing attack.

3) He rotated out a very promising RB Otis Anderson and replaced with with former walk on RB McCrae, who lead the team in rushing while averaging almost 9 yds a carry without starting more than 1 game 

Good news is that those changes worked too.

For those of us that don't follow you guys closely and just look at scores, it looked as if they didn't change much.  

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

4 hours ago, usfgrad84 said:
4 hours ago, usfgrad84 said:

Not sure you can say we would be undefeated going into UCF.  It was defensive breakdown that lead to our loss vs Houston. 

Agree with most of the rest of the post. 

I think he's saying that it might not have come down to that 4th & 24 if we had someone like Huepel. We would have put up a lot more points, and put Houston away by then. He's probably right about that....

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

This is an administrative issue and shows the poor ADs we have had in our past. Harlan should have asked one key question before hiring Strong and that is “what type of offense are you going to run?” Instead he got caught up in the limelight of hiring a recognized coach. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

This is an administrative issue and shows the poor ADs we have had in our past. Harlan should have asked one key question before hiring Strong and that is “what type of offense are you going to run?” Instead he got caught up in the limelight of hiring a recognized coach. 

Name coach with a once in a lifetime bargain contract.

Reflective of USA consumer behavior. Buy cheap instead of buying quality.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  488
  • Days Won:  2

Great post and great follow up posts. Agree with everything said.

I woke up today thinking “what happened to our football program?”

There is so much wrong with it...the Holtz comparisons are very accurate. It just feels wrong. Everything feels bad right now. 

I thinks it’s very obvious at this point that if nothing changes it’s only going to get worse. It’s very hard to see UCF doing what they are doing and watching us do what we are doing. 

The idea that we are a package deal with UCF if/when a better conference comes calling is nothing we should take for granted right now. I hope this new AD is paying attention to EVERYTHING that’s going on.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

So, CCS says "we are not a good football team". Ok that's pointing out the obvious. Terrible injury to Milton and you can only hope the guy can get through it and come out ok. But, their starting qb is out and a freshman comes in..isn't that when you step up your game and change your D game plan? Problem as I saw it..we aren't as good as their 1st or 2nd team. Almost felt like the injury to their guy caused our players to play w/o emotion. You watch Heupel and he is active/involved on the sideline you look at CCS and he looks like he's leaving for a funeral. At least he didn't have his hands in his pockets. That's all the CCS slamming I will do. Something serious needs to change. The players reflect the mood of the coaches. If we go to the Whatever bowl and roll over again..then I will be a fan of a coaching change.