• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

MBB USF vs Georgetown- Noon CBS Sports Network

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Content Count:  1,716
  • Days Won:  9

1 hour ago, DELdaBull said:

Free throw shooting cost us this victory 

Won't be the last time this season that we'll be saying that...

Rideau has done a great job of drawing fouls. Unfortunately, his free throw shooting is stress-inducing.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

3 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

A few thoughts from yesterday’s game:

• Disappointed we could not close out the three point shooter at the end of regulation
  • This team is much bigger and more physical than in years past
  • Mid-range shooting is non existent but we have legitimate players that can hit 3’s
  • Team does not appear overwhelmed

i exoect that this team will only gel as the season progresses and should flirt with a .500 record.

Forgive me if this has been discussed in this thread already but just got back from PHL last night and just can't read through everything.  I watched that play on an app and just don't understand how you let someone shoot a 3 pointer in that situation.  Not sure if it is Boeheim or Coach K that said you never let someone get that shot off.  Foul them before and let them shoot 2 free throws. I know with our foul shooting you don't want to get into a FT shooting contest but with only a few seconds to go........ I love CBG but didn't like that non play on our part.

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,294
  • Days Won:  0

10 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Forgive me if this has been discussed in this thread already but just got back from PHL last night and just can't read through everything.  I watched that play on an app and just don't understand how you let someone shoot a 3 pointer in that situation.  Not sure if it is Boeheim or Coach K that said you never let someone get that shot off.  Foul them before and let them shoot 2 free throws. I know with our foul shooting you don't want to get into a FT shooting contest but with only a few seconds to go........ I love CBG but didn't like that non play on our part.

I’m with you on that point as well. Don’t let them shoot a three when fouling gives them only two shots. 

The old school way is don’t foul and play straight up, but the new school way (and the odds) tell you to foul.

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,252
  • Days Won:  1

The only reason i could think of not fouling is if your are afraid you will foul him in the act of shooting and it could turn into a 4 point play. If you are going to foul in that situation you do so as soon as he catches it and don't give him any chance to get into the act of shooting

• Topic Count:  257
  • Content Count:  2,403
  • Days Won:  5

You usually don't foul unless it under 3-4 seconds.  There was close to 6 seconds when he shot and he was also 5 feet behind the arc.  

1 hour ago, bcgruber said:

You usually don't foul unless it under 3-4 seconds.  There was close to 6 seconds when he shot and he was also 5 feet behind the arc.  

I couldn't see the clock in the app snippet I saw but assumed it was a buzzer beater.

• Topic Count:  91
  • Content Count:  1,716
  • Days Won:  9

13 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

I couldn't see the clock in the app snippet I saw but assumed it was a buzzer beater.

We had just under 5 seconds left after the shot went through. It was enough time for Rideau to get the ball, dribble to half court, put up a terrible shot, and have it land in Lang's hands under the basket. There was so much time left after Rideau's shot that Lang was maybe a tenth of a second away from laying it in for the win.

4 hours ago, &rew Bull said:

We had just under 5 seconds left after the shot went through. It was enough time for Rideau to get the ball, dribble to half court, put up a terrible shot, and have it land in Lang's hands under the basket. There was so much time left after Rideau's shot that Lang was maybe a tenth of a second away from laying it in for the win.

Just got done rewatching the game.  Still think you can't let a guy step into that 3 pointer but it wasn't as obvious a call as I had thought. Saw that almost buzzer beater.  Amazing how things like that don't go USF's way. I remember a similar play when the women were playing at FSU in the tournament (may have been against Mich State but don't remember) and the opponent took a horrible shot that landed in another player's hands and they just beat the buzzer to beat us.