• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why Leavitt Should Never be Rehired by USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  807
  • Days Won:  1

On 11/12/2018 at 8:45 AM, Orlando Bull said:

Allegedly, or, did you forget that USF paid a settlement to keep him from filing a wrongful termination suit? Not saying he didn't do it, but, there must not have been enough conclusive evidence to make it a solid win for USF.

One of my best friends was on that team and saw it happen. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

8 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

I am one of those that defended him.  I spoke with him after a practice at La Tech a few years ago.  He was more than surprised that he got fired when he did.  He was told that he would have time to fix the academics and then build the team.  Yes, in that order. His words, not hearsay.  The raise in APR during Taggart's first couple of years was because of the players that Skip brought in.  His mistake was beating ND and Clemson which raised the expectations of a person on the Board of Trustees who thought we should be winning a national title in a year or two.  

Maybe Skip may never have worked out at USF.  But he was trying to do what was asked of him.  He's not a lazy guy or lazy recruiter. He lives and breathes football, especially offense.  He related well with the players.  After the practice I attended the QB and RB came up to him with a suggestion and he watched them run through something a dozen times or so (something to do with the mesh point).  He said it looked good and would make whatever change they were looking for.  The thing with the golf tournament was a prior commitment. 

His record is what it is but I'm not sure that if he had stayed that we wouldn't be in the same or better place than we are right now.

The APR hasn't returned to CJL levels.....  Please try again.... 

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

1 minute ago, CousinRicky said:

I guess you're right.  Just don't know why, after being fired and in a new job, that he would feel the need to fabricate something.  

Who knows why anyone does what they do?  Probably didn't feel good to get fired.  Sometimes when that happens to someone, they develop explanations for why it happened that may not be entirely true as a defense mechanism.

Just to be clear, I don't think he is a bad guy or intentionally tried to suck at USF.  I just grapple with any notion that a football coach's prime directive is academic success over on-field success, unless I hear it from the guy who hired him.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

1 minute ago, Bull Dozer said:

The APR hasn't returned to CJL levels.....  Please try again.... 

Okay.  Momentum.  

3 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

I guess you're right.  Just don't know why, after being fired and in a new job, that he would feel the need to fabricate something.  

Complete and abject failure is embarrassing.... 

• Upvote 1

Just now, CousinRicky said:

Okay.  Momentum.  

Which only serves my point, the program was able to carry that momentum with no noticeable drop off while recruiting kids that could make all conference list while also making the deans list..... 

Skip chose the wrong way to try to fix the academics and in doing so he broke the football program as a whole.....   There's other things I've heard from a former player that makes me doubt that Skip is being completely forthcoming with you.  Stuff about how the program was run internally with accountability in some of the most important areas of the program etc.  We're never going to see eye to on this because of contradictory sources but know that Skip was not as innocent as he projects about how things went down at USF

Edited by Bull Dozer
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Bull Dozer said:

Complete and abject failure is embarrassing.... 

Just find it odd that he didn't fail other places.  What was the difference?  The conference?  His team would probably beat our team this year.  I guess we're in a worse conference now.

1 minute ago, Bull Dozer said:

Which only serves my point, the program was able to carry that momentum with no noticeable drop off while recruiting kids that could make all conference list while also making the deans list..... 

But that wasn't happening before he got here.  Changed the culture of getting better students.  Anyways, I'm not going to convince anyone.  Just my feelings about the situation.  

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

2 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

Who knows why anyone does what they do?  Probably didn't feel good to get fired.  Sometimes when that happens to someone, they develop explanations for why it happened that may not be entirely true as a defense mechanism.

Just to be clear, I don't think he is a bad guy or intentionally tried to suck at USF.  I just grapple with any notion that a football coach's prime directive is academic success over on-field success, unless I hear it from the guy who hired him.  

He may not have been enough of a coach/recruiter to be able to put a good product on the field with the academic restrictions. Clearly his successors have. If you want to argue he had the scholar athletes in place for success I'd point at Taggarts first two years. I don't think his game day coaching was good either.

It's a nice excuse but it seems to me he failed here for a multitude of reasons.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

11 minutes ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

he has a legendary bank account of time outs.

:lmao: