• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why Leavitt Should Never be Rehired by USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

3 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

This is still a valid notion?  USF hired a football coach with the main purpose of improving academics over winning football games? 

Man, the Skip apologists know no bounds.  Until I see a source other than hearsay that corroborates this, I'll never believe it.

The thing that gets me is why is it accepted that it had to be an either or recruiting strategy?  There was basically no APR drop off from CSH to CWT but the improvement in talent was GLARING.   I think the APR may have even improved while we had more talented kids but my memory may be off on that one.  

Edited by Bull Dozer
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

18 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

This is still a valid notion?  USF hired a football coach with the main purpose of improving academics over winning football games? 

Man, the Skip apologists know no bounds.  Until I see a source other than hearsay that corroborates this, I'll never believe it.

Not a Skippy apologist in the least. He sucked at coaching. But he did have to recruit a different academic player than Leavitt. 

15 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

The thing that gets me is why is it accepted that it had to be an either or recruiting strategy?  There was basically no APR drop off from CSH to CWT but the improvement in talent was GLARING.   I think the APR may have even improved while we had more talented kids but my memory may be off on that one.  

This is true...thus he could not do either of the jobs he was hired to do. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

10 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

5 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

I am one of those that defended him.  I spoke with him after a practice at La Tech a few years ago.  He was more than surprised that he got fired when he did.  He was told that he would have time to fix the academics and then build the team.  Yes, in that order. His words, not hearsay.  The raise in APR during Taggart's first couple of years was because of the players that Skip brought in.  His mistake was beating ND and Clemson which raised the expectations of a person on the Board of Trustees who thought we should be winning a national title in a year or two.  

Maybe Skip may never have worked out at USF.  But he was trying to do what was asked of him.  He's not a lazy guy or lazy recruiter. He lives and breathes football, especially offense.  He related well with the players.  After the practice I attended the QB and RB came up to him with a suggestion and he watched them run through something a dozen times or so (something to do with the mesh point).  He said it looked good and would make whatever change they were looking for.  The thing with the golf tournament was a prior commitment. 

His record is what it is but I'm not sure that if he had stayed that we wouldn't be in the same or better place than we are right now.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Just now, NewEnglandBull said:

Not a Skippy apologist in the least. He sucked at coaching. But he did have to recruit a different academic player than Leavitt. 

I wasn't really calling you out, it was more a general comment about Skip apologists, but I'm going to need more than just yours or anyone else's word that he was forced to value grades over talent in recruiting.  

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

22 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

I will be willing to believe this but my question is: Were the academic standards relaxed for Taggart and Strong or did they just manage to field a football team that was capable academically?

2 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

He was told that he would have time to fix the academics and then build the team.  Yes, in that order. His words, not hearsay

Sorry Ricky, but this is the very definition of hearsay.

I guess I'll have to hear it directly from Doug Woolard in order to believe it.  

Just another note.  Skip was hired Jan 14th.  Signing day is usually the 1st week of Feb.  So first year he was working from behind. Most new coaches have to go through that but usually hires are made in Dec.  A small difference but a difference.

Just now, GaUSFBull said:

Sorry Ricky, but this is the very definition of hearsay.

I guess I'll have to hear it directly from Doug Woolard in order to believe it.  

Wasn't hearsay to me when it came from his mouth.  To the others I guess it is.

Just now, CousinRicky said:

Wasn't hearsay to me when it came from his mouth.  To the others I guess it is.

"He was told" is the part that is hearsay to you.  "His words" is the part that is hearsay to us.  

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

Just now, CousinRicky said:

Just another note.  Skip was hired Jan 14th.  Signing day is usually the 1st week of Feb.  So first year he was working from behind. Most new coaches have to go through that but usually hires are made in Dec.  A small difference but a difference.

Or Skip is just doing great at LA Tech, and it's great that he is doing great there, because that's the highest level he can excel at?

I mean recruiting aside, his game day decisions were stunners and he has a legendary bank account of time outs.

Just now, GaUSFBull said:

"He was told" is the part that is hearsay to you.  "His words" is the part that is hearsay to us.  

I guess you're right.  Just don't know why, after being fired and in a new job, that he would feel the need to fabricate something.