• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What should AD MK do?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

12 hours ago, SoFlo All Day said:

I get the need for patience here, but this wait and see mentality could potentially cost us 12.5x if we cut him loose next year like you're suggesting. He's set to make $2.5 million next year if we keep him, but what has he done thus far (on his own merit) to deserve that? The fanbase that's pissed off is showing that its not going to settle for a coach who makes countless excuses, throws his players under the bus, and pivots on his opinion of the team to try and cover his ass when it starts to lose. I mean c'mon - we have no depth at WR outside of St. Felix?? Really?? That's crap and everybody knows it, including Charlie. 

Cutting him loose at $200k makes too much sense at this point. One way or another, he was going to be a rental coach when we first signed him. His contract was set up that way with the Texas money and the jump in salary for him and his coordinators. He needed to shoot the lights out at USF and he had the situation & players to do it. "The cake was baked." He didn't execute - simple as that. 

Also, thinking coaches will stay away because we fire a guy who posted a winning record I think is absolutely ridiculous. If a coach is not confident enough in their abilities to think they can succeed here with the expectations that we have, then we don't need them. Also, I would be willing to bet there's a large group of current coaches who think CCS probably isn't that good of a head coach anymore or is better off as a D coordinator. Much respected for his character (maybe not with UL boosters...), but I think his performance at Texas set the tone for his "name recognition" as head coach in most coaching circles. Mack Brown was a great coach at once, so was Phillip Fulmer, and Rich Rodriguez, and Les Miles - big name coaches lose their edge because the game passes them by. From what we have seen thus far, the same could very well be true for Charlie. Hell, maybe he wasn't even a real big name coach to begin with? 

Other coaches also probably aren't blind to the fact that USF has played nobody in the past 2 years. Just sayin'.

There are probably a handful of coaches who wouldn't come here if we fired Strong now. They are almost certainly coaches who will never come here. Any up and comer should jump at the chance and if they have concerns negotiate an extra year like Gregory did and a high buyout so they don't get canned too quickly after cleaning up a mess. I will gladly take a 2 year and fired with a buyout and near million dollar per year salary that would pretty much set me up for life.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

On 11/13/2018 at 6:09 PM, Bull Dozer said:

Cutting Strong loose after two bowl seasons with the second in a major transition year would not be a good look. Young up and comers would look at that happened to an established name like CCS and wonder what kind of leash they would get and not consider the job. If we struggle again with everything we return then you can talk about Firing CCS. I think Kelly should try to point CCS in the direction of staff changes this off season though. 

Disagree...as a young up and comer will be YOUR AD's "guy"...something Charlie was not (hired by a predecessor). Everyone in the "biz" understands that as you always want to work for the AD that hired you because your HIS guy.  (Also, Charlie has the most friendly buyout in all of P6 of just $200,000 so that will probably be a factor too).