• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What should AD MK do?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,034
  • Days Won:  20

On 11/11/2018 at 2:45 PM, USFBULL_08 said:

I imagine it would be scrutinized heavily in the media.

I don't think a blurb sandwiched between Gator articles or a tweet by Knight or Fennelly will count as heavily scrutinized.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Cutting Strong loose after two bowl seasons with the second in a major transition year would not be a good look. Young up and comers would look at that happened to an established name like CCS and wonder what kind of leash they would get and not consider the job. If we struggle again with everything we return then you can talk about Firing CCS. I think Kelly should try to point CCS in the direction of staff changes this off season though. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, Bull Dozer said:

Cutting Strong loose after two bowl seasons with the second in a major transition year would not be a good look. Young up and comers would look at that happened to an established name like CCS and wonder what kind of leash they would get and not consider the job. If we struggle again with everything we return then you can talk about Firing CCS. I think Kelly should try to point CCS in the direction of staff changes this off season though. 

Yes this all day. Well put. Next year we’re even more stacked we even more experience.  I’ve taken this year for what it is but firing the head coach right now isn’t the best solution. Replacing coordinators can crucially help us. 

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  1,624
  • Days Won:  0

3 hours ago, Bull Dozer said:

What makes you think anything is going to change? He was handed an amazing offense last year and his hand picked OC hampered the offense. His special teams have been awful this year and last year. He had the same issues at Texas. Need I remind you how bad he was at Texas? He won at Lou because of a NFL caliber QB. Strong had a ton of talent on defense last year (three are in the NFL?) and the defense wasn't much better than Taggarts. This year it's even worse. He's supposed to be a defensive coach and yet the defense still plays like crap. I get it if we don't fire him after this year, but if we don't want to keep trending down, we need to fire Strong. I'm getting a 6 to 8 win vibe next year. I guess if we're satisfied being mediocre in the AAC then we should keep Strong otherwise we need to find a young coach who can have success and leave. This year we've been lucky to pull 7 wins out of our ***. 

Sam Barrington had a great quote on the radio last week during the game. He said something to the effect of "I looked up and down our schedule and I haven't seen any teams that are more talented than USF, but they continue to get out schemed.  All Strong has is his reputation. He's been the same mediocre coach for five plus years. 

Edited by NinjaPenguin777
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

I can think of a million reasons and a sweet buy out for failing why an up and comer would take the job.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  194
  • Days Won:  1

12 hours ago, usfgrad84 said:

I am not of the mind to fire Strong, but if accurate, point #3 about the buyout being only $200K and not being Kelly’s hire could be a big factor in decion making. Depends on what kind of pressure the donors are putting on Kelly and how the fundraising is going. 

If there isn't donor pressure already, you could sure see it if we get blown out in the next two games playing like we have.....especially against UCF. If I were MK, I'd atleast force some changes on offense and special teams. And not just digging back into Charlie's old network either. If you want to be successful here you have to be willing to think outside of the box and change your style like Willie did. 

Honestly, I'd rather be in UCF's shoes of hiring a successful young coordinator. It's worked out for them two coaches in a row. While we're once again regressing with an old mediocre coach with a "name".

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

28 minutes ago, NinjaPenguin777 said:

What makes you think anything is going to change? He was handed an amazing offense last year and his hand picked OC hampered the offense. His special teams have been awful this year and last year. He had the same issues at Texas. Need I remind you how bad he was at Texas? He won at Lou because of a NFL caliber QB. Strong had a ton of talent on defense last year (three are in the NFL?) and the defense wasn't much better than Taggarts. This year it's even worse. He's supposed to be a defensive coach and yet the defense still plays like crap. I get it if we don't fire him after this year, but if we don't want to keep trending down, we need to fire Strong. I'm getting a 6 to 8 win vibe next year. I guess if we're satisfied being mediocre in the AAC then we should keep Strong otherwise we need to find a young coach who can have success and leave. This year we've been lucky to pull 7 wins out of our ***. 

Sam Barrington had a great quote on the radio last week during the game. He said something to the effect of "I looked up and down our schedule and I haven't seen any teams that are more talented than USF, but they continue to get out schemed.  All Strong has is his reputation. He's been the same mediocre coach for five plus years. 

Where did his quote end?  

3 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Where did his quote end?  

Sorry. Forgot to end the quote. It ended at the "but they continue to get out schemed". 

The last two sentences were mine

Edited by NinjaPenguin777

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  194
  • Days Won:  1

I get the need for patience here, but this wait and see mentality could potentially cost us 12.5x if we cut him loose next year like you're suggesting. He's set to make $2.5 million next year if we keep him, but what has he done thus far (on his own merit) to deserve that? The fanbase that's pissed off is showing that its not going to settle for a coach who makes countless excuses, throws his players under the bus, and pivots on his opinion of the team to try and cover his ass when it starts to lose. I mean c'mon - we have no depth at WR outside of St. Felix?? Really?? That's crap and everybody knows it, including Charlie. 

Cutting him loose at $200k makes too much sense at this point. One way or another, he was going to be a rental coach when we first signed him. His contract was set up that way with the Texas money and the jump in salary for him and his coordinators. He needed to shoot the lights out at USF and he had the situation & players to do it. "The cake was baked." He didn't execute - simple as that. 

Also, thinking coaches will stay away because we fire a guy who posted a winning record I think is absolutely ridiculous. If a coach is not confident enough in their abilities to think they can succeed here with the expectations that we have, then we don't need them. Also, I would be willing to bet there's a large group of current coaches who think CCS probably isn't that good of a head coach anymore or is better off as a D coordinator. Much respected for his character (maybe not with UL boosters...), but I think his performance at Texas set the tone for his "name recognition" as head coach in most coaching circles. Mack Brown was a great coach at once, so was Phillip Fulmer, and Rich Rodriguez, and Les Miles - big name coaches lose their edge because the game passes them by. From what we have seen thus far, the same could very well be true for Charlie. Hell, maybe he wasn't even a real big name coach to begin with? 

Other coaches also probably aren't blind to the fact that USF has played nobody in the past 2 years. Just sayin'.

• Upvote 3