• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

What should AD MK do?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

6 minutes ago, SoFlo All Day said:

Regardless of how the next three games go (they wont be pretty lol) I think MK is going to have some really tough decisions to make this offseason about football. I think it will come down to a combo of different factors on and off the field. 

1. If I'm MK, Im really worried on how a 6 game losing streak to end the year stalls momentum on the fundraising side and buy-in from donors to the program. We've worked hard to get donor momentum back on track and it feels like we are letting it slip away by losing and not playing well. MK's legacy will be how he builds up the football facilities - any threat to that should be taken seriously. 

2. Charlie isn't MK's "guy" - We are effectively in a Holtz year 2 scenario here. The team has a big win early on (ND for Holtz - GT for Charlie) - regresses as the year goes on, isn't ever ready to play and cant finish games, and limps to a crappy finish (Holtz year 2 was 5-7). We made the terrible decision to re-sign Holtz only to fire him the next year and then saddle ourselves with an annoying buyout. Does MK really want to replay that scenario with Charlie?? If he does, then he is essentially tying his job to Charlie's success and given how CCS has coached here the past two seasons, that is very risky. Dont give me that 17-5 crap either. Going 2-5 against teams with a pulse isnt cutting it. Not to mention - we should be 6-4, 5-5, or worse this year. 

3. The cost of cutting Charlie loose this season is dirt cheap (even for us). $200k to remove someone who is hurting the momentum of the fanbase for someone that you handpicked is an interesting proposition. Not to mention, Charlie will be very expensive to keep going forward and anyone who can stomach giving Sterlin Gilbert a raise after these past two seasons shouldn't be anywhere near a football program.

I hope MK lets this entire coaching staff go - going 17-8 across two seasons sounds great, but this staff is equivalent to an overvalued stock because of the coach's name, prior successes, and the fact that they won most of their games against garbage opponents.  If you take a deeper look at the stats then the picture is pretty clear. Also, the value of any type of investment should be in the expected future value, not a backwards looking statistic like W/L. 

Very well said.

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,330
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, SoFlo All Day said:

Regardless of how the next three games go (they wont be pretty lol) I think MK is going to have some really tough decisions to make this offseason about football. I think it will come down to a combo of different factors on and off the field. 

1. If I'm MK, Im really worried on how a 6 game losing streak to end the year stalls momentum on the fundraising side and buy-in from donors to the program. We've worked hard to get donor momentum back on track and it feels like we are letting it slip away by losing and not playing well. MK's legacy will be how he builds up the football facilities - any threat to that should be taken seriously. 

2. Charlie isn't MK's "guy" - We are effectively in a Holtz year 2 scenario here. The team has a big win early on (ND for Holtz - GT for Charlie) - regresses as the year goes on, isn't ever ready to play and cant finish games, and limps to a crappy finish (Holtz year 2 was 5-7). We made the terrible decision to re-sign Holtz only to fire him the next year and then saddle ourselves with an annoying buyout. Does MK really want to replay that scenario with Charlie?? If he does, then he is essentially tying his job to Charlie's success and given how CCS has coached here the past two seasons, that is very risky. Dont give me that 17-5 crap either. Going 2-5 against teams with a pulse isnt cutting it. Not to mention - we should be 6-4, 5-5, or worse this year. 

3. The cost of cutting Charlie loose this season is dirt cheap (even for us). $200k to remove someone who is hurting the momentum of the fanbase for someone that you handpicked is an interesting proposition. Not to mention, Charlie will be very expensive to keep going forward and anyone who can stomach giving Sterlin Gilbert a raise after these past two seasons shouldn't be anywhere near a football program.

I hope MK lets this entire coaching staff go - going 17-8 across two seasons sounds great, but this staff is equivalent to an overvalued stock because of the coach's name, prior successes, and the fact that they won most of their games against garbage opponents.  If you take a deeper look at the stats then the picture is pretty clear. Also, the value of any type of investment should be in the expected future value, not a backwards looking statistic like W/L. 

Kelly is gonna need a huge set on him to let Strong go. I imagine it would be scrutinized heavily in the media.

Edited by USFBULL_08

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,325
  • Days Won:  5

If I’m MK I sit Chuck down and tell him with a chest poke and say , “ you better f@cking beat Temple.” 

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 minutes ago, jchem1995 said:

If I’m MK I sit Chuck down and tell him with a chest poke and say , “ you better f@cking beat Temple.” 

Kelly might get punched out LOL 

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,250
  • Days Won:  1

I think MK needs to make Charlie make the first move. If Charlie makes no changes then u see how things start out next year and if the team shows no progress early on u dump strong and immediately start looking for a replacement. This time you go with a young OC that has proven results with his offense. Orlando has done this and has blown right past us so its time for us to wake up or we will be left behind.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  6,168
  • Days Won:  12

3 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Kelly might get punched out LOL 

That would make firing CCs a lot easier and cheaper 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,325
  • Content Count:  96,791
  • Days Won:  468

3 hours ago, El_Toro_86 said:

Pray there isn’t realignment anytime soon or C. Will leave us in the dust.

Thankfully, as our President was getting beat at the Big East poker table, she negotiated a bond with then-C-USA UCF to take us with them wherever they go.  Hopefully upward.  

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

22 hours ago, USFBULL_08 said:

Kelly is gonna need a huge set on him to let Strong go. I imagine it would be scrutinized heavily in the media.

The media, LMAO. They'll probably call out UCF for it. It's not like they're writing a ton of articles about South Florida anyway.

Edited by Azmodi

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,325
  • Days Won:  5

4 hours ago, Azmodi said:

The media, LMAO. They'll probably call out UCF for it. It's not like they're writing a ton of articles about South Florida anyway.

Tom Jones on the CCS hire “ Meh.” So there’s that. 

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

On 11/11/2018 at 1:43 PM, SoFlo All Day said:

I am not of the mind to fire Strong, but if accurate, point #3 about the buyout being only $200K and not being Kelly’s hire could be a big factor in decion making. Depends on what kind of pressure the donors are putting on Kelly and how the fundraising is going.