• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Unrealistic Expectations

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

On several threads over the years, we had members posting things like:  "Just hire coach X", "Just recruit better players", "Just schedule better out of conference games"

I don't think those that post this realize how difficult all of this is for a program like ours.  We all (including USF athletics) would like the best coaches, best players, best games, etc., but the coaches, players, or teams have to want us as well.

• Topic Count:  2,324
  • Content Count:  21,234
  • Days Won:  10

Boom.  We have a lot of more years ahead to build our project.   First, Win a conference championship. 

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,426
  • Days Won:  25

Just wait til next year... again.

6 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

Nearly every FBS school has to say this.  Most do every year.  We're not all that unique.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

34 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

On several threads over the years, we had members posting things like:  "Just hire coach X", "Just recruit better players", "Just schedule better out of conference games"

I don't think those that post this realize how difficult all of this is for a program like ours.  We all (including USF athletics) would like the best coaches, best players, best games, etc., but the coaches, players, or teams have to want us as well.

Exercise in futility --------->  Image result for check mark

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

If we are not attractive enough to bring in coaches and players good enough to win 9-10 games a year playing in this conference, then we need to look at what we are doing wrong.  

3 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

If we are not attractive enough to bring in coaches and players good enough to win 9-10 games a year playing in this conference, then we need to look at what we are doing wrong.  

If we don't win another game this season, we would average nine wins over the past four seasons.  This is not what I was addressing.  i was referring to the posts that assume that we can get whatever coaches, players, or out of conference games we want and we're simply not doing it.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

For as long as I've been on this board, overall, we have had an over-inflated opinion of ourselves as a program.  I'm as guilty of this as anyone else.

This year, I've backed off in being so emotionally invested ... I've put my family first, and made a point to DVR games so I can watch them after kids have gone to bed, or if they're doing something else that I'm not involved in - bottom line, when things I care about more than USF football are done.  

I have to say, it feels good to have my priorities more in order this year, and I think my family appreciates it more.  It doesn't make the losses feel any better but it certainly keeps my attitude about USF football in check, and I'm more able to give my family the me that they deserve, which is 100%.  

We're very blessed to be in a position where one of our main concerns in life is how our football team is performing.  So many others have far more pressing and dire circumstances - I feel for those people, and when I think about that, my angst over wins and losses for USF seems to wane.  Plus, with the way college football has evolved competitively within the last few years, with the deck being stacked against USF and our conference, I'd be lying if I said that didn't have an effect on my attitude towards football.  

I believe USF will get there one day, but until they do, I plan on rolling with the punches and trying to enjoy every aspect of the ride for what it's supposed to be - a fun diversion from the everyday aspects of life.  

• Like 3

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  581
  • Content Count:  22,611
  • Days Won:  108

27 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

I'm noticing a trend here.

• Haha 1