• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What Needs To Change To Beat Houston?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

I think we can all agree that this season has been a bumpy ride to this point, especially the last 3 weeks. Houston marks the first time since Georgia Tech that we will be facing a team with this much talent on both sides of the ball. It is also safe to say that if we play at all like we have against ECU, Tulsa, and UCONN the last 3 weeks Saturday's game could turn into a nationally televised nightmare. With this in mind, what do you think the Bulls can/will change in the game plan on both sides of the ball? I would hope that we are planning on adding a few offensive wrinkles. On defense, I hope that we can do a better job of spying the QB than we did against Pindell from UCONN. My fear is that the coaching staff thinks that the struggles to this point fall completely on the shoulders of the players and have nothing to do with the coaching and game preparation. 

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,611
  • Days Won:  51

I am going to the game!  So there's that.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Get more creative in the passing game.  How about short to intermediate routes instead of deep bombs.  Houston pass D is not good.  Test the outside in the run game.  Not everything between the tackles.  The Oline will need to have their best game of the year.

On Defense I imagine they will spy King with McGee and play man coverage.  Getting Sawtelle back will help as we need to bevery sound in gap coverage.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

Uniforms 

• Haha 4

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

6 minutes ago, El_Toro_86 said:

Get more creative in the passing game.  How about short to intermediate routes instead of deep bombs.  Houston pass D is not good.  Test the outside in the run game.  Not everything between the tackles.  The Oline will need to have their best game of the year.

On Defense I imagine they will spy King with McGee and play man coverage.  Getting Sawtelle back will help as we need to bevery sound in gap coverage.

This sound pretty much spot on.  King is good.  I'm worried about him running the ball on us and being effective with his arm at the same time. 

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

Stuff the box and let Hampton and Wilkins do their thing in the secondary. Maybe take out Hoggins and play a 4/3 or 3/4 with McGee spying on the QB. I'm not sure if we have the bodies for either of those defensive configurations though.

On offense, I'd like to see some non-bubble screens and slants, maybe some bootlegs. Something to get Blake more time.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,799
  • Days Won:  0

29 minutes ago, El_Toro_86 said:

I agree.  Less long balls. Just methodical drives down the field.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

Nothing.  Keep scoring more points than the opponent.  These first 7 games have been the perfect button hook for this game.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Offensive coordinator?

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

1- need some guys to get healthy. Bell at RB, Yates at DL, Sawtellle at LB probably most important.

2- will need to help the OL, probably play a second TE to block.

3- need to threaten off tackle runs every once in awhile. Although we ran into the middle 50 times last year we had some success when we at least faked a jet sweep. I don’t think we can run wide on UH but at least enough off tackle to get their line moving laterally instead of just standing there.

4- need to spy King and keep him contained.

BTW, I expect the defense to play less aggressive to avoid giving up big plays and forcing UH to drive the ball methodically. I would be surprised if we blitz much.