• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

"In other words, Thanks for playing." - ESPN

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  225
  • Days Won:  0

7 minutes ago, Thebullsfan said:

No hope? 

Unfortunately not. Sorry to be a drag.

34 minutes ago, JTrue said:

This isn't meant to be snarky, but have you ever actually researched how SOS is calculated?

"Furthermore, several more factors may be added, such as the position of the team in the league, the strength of the team's division or conference, which games count in the formula and which do not (vital in the Bowl Championship Series), the locations of the games (see home team and home advantage) and others."

The majority of strength of schedule is taken from RPI, which currently has USF at 17. But the rest of the factors are the unknowns. Meaning, USF is in AAC. AAC not in P5. Therefore +100 strength of schedule score.

Edited by deadudea

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

2 minutes ago, deadudea said:

Unfortunately not. Sorry to be a drag.

Furthermore, several more factors may be added, such as the position of the team in the league, the strength of the team's division or conference, which games count in the formula and which do not (vital in the Bowl Championship Series), the locations of the games (see home team and home advantage) and others.

That’s not SOS.

5 minutes ago, JTrue said:

That’s not SOS.

Okay... What is it then?

7 minutes ago, deadudea said:

Okay... What is it then?

Link your website and I’ll tell you. It looks like things that could be a factor in considering bodies of work for the committee. But it is not how SOS is calculated.

Edited by JTrue

2 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Link your website and I’ll tell you.

Lol. That's extremely silly. If you can find some non-opinion fact about how it's actually calculated, please enlighten me to this great knowledge you feel the need withhold unless I provide a wikipedia link. Not that difficult to search for the quote I provided.

39 minutes ago, deadudea said:

Lol. That's extremely silly. If you can find some non-opinion fact about how it's actually calculated, please enlighten me to this great knowledge you feel the need withhold unless I provide a wikipedia link. Not that difficult to search for the quote I provided.

Let me rephrase. I do not agree that the last paragraph of the section on Calculation in the Wikipedia article for Strength of Schedule is definitive proof that the SOS component of rankings is biased in favor of the P5.

5 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Let me rephrase. I do not agree that the last paragraph of the section on Calculation in the Wikipedia article for Strength of Schedule is definitive proof that the SOS component of rankings is biased in favor of the P5.

Link?

1 minute ago, deadudea said:

Link?

Here

27 minutes ago, deadudea said:

Cool. Thanks for playing.

We can go in circles all night. I don't think the computers (or the people who write the programs) give a **** about P5/G5 bias. I don't believe SOS does either. You believe they do based on what you read on Wikipedia and what you don't see: "The majority of strength of schedule is taken from RPI, which currently has USF at 17. But the rest of the factors are the unknowns. Meaning, USF is in AAC. AAC not in P5. Therefore +100 strength of schedule score." 

I haven't come across a computer ranking yet that uses RPI or has "unknowns" baked into it.

Here's Colley's rankings for you to see. No unknown factors. No adjusting for conference strength or division. He lays his strength of schedule for you, too.

https://www.colleyrankings.com/matrate.pdf

And if you want Massey. Here's the link.

https://www.masseyratings.com/faq.php

(I wasn't sure how many you wanted, but every computer model and it's website is accessible through the main Massey composite site.)

Edited by JTrue