• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Point Spread for USF vs Uconn

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Just now, MikeG said:

You may know this but for those unfamiliar....

spreads are not about respect- they are about getting people to bet money on teams. More action means more money for the sports book. They balance it out so that they win money no matter -- and establish an initial line to see where the betting takes it, adjusting along the way to make sure the have the bets are not lopsided and cause them a loss. Their is zero bias in this-- it is a zero sum game where the fees you pay for any bet are what they earn. Some games are so lopsided that they won't even put up a point spread or in the case of smaller school not offer one because there aren't enough people betting on the teams to make it worth the time to coordinate 9we face that quite often when we were still 1-AA).

If a ton of people take the favorite-  USF in this case- the line moves further out so the team has to win by even more points to cover and also to entice people to bet on the underdog. Bets on the underdog move the line the other direction. So even with the line starting at -30 points, enough people are betting on USF to move the line further out to -32. Whatever the line is when you make the bet is locked in-- so those folks who put money on USF at -30 got a better deal than anyone betting at the -32 line.

The number of people who think the line is a prediction is astonishing.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  144

2 minutes ago, JTrue said:

The number of people who think the line is a prediction is astonishing.

some people just aren't gamblers or familiar with it. Not a bad thing-- beats being a degenerate gambler (the other extreme).

13 minutes ago, JTrue said:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/

Can USF put up the money we already have pledged for the IPF?

Not from an NCAA standpoint and more importantly perhaps - not from a fiscal responsibility duty.

though I know you were probably just joking

Edited by MikeG

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

I took Uconn and the points +32.5. Still out in Lost Wages.

23 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

I took Uconn and the points +32.5. Still out in Lost Wages.

If I had to bet on this game, I would take the same wager you did. That is a lot of points. But I would feel bad putting too much on it since at some point, I might have to start rooting against my own team to save my bet. It is the reason I stopped betting on USF at all since 2005 when we barely squeaked by covering against Miami. Of course-- in that situation, I was cheering my arse off for USF to hold them from scoring at the end of the game. Some Miami fans lost a lot of money I bet-- and you can see Miami scrambling hard to make them happy at the end of that game.

• Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

24 minutes ago, MikeG said:

If I had to bet on this game, I would take the same wager you did. That is a lot of points. But I would feel bad putting too much on it since at some point, I might have to start rooting against my own team to save my bet. It is the reason I stopped betting on USF at all since 2005 when we barely squeaked by covering against Miami. Of course-- in that situation, I was cheering my arse off for USF to hold them from scoring at the end of the game. Some Miami fans lost a lot of money I bet-- and you can see Miami scrambling hard to make them happy at the end of that game.

I don't bet big. And only the 2nd time I've wagered this year. First time was Illinois and won that one.  And I always hope to lose the bet. Want USF to crush any opponent. 

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

I'm waiting since the spread keeps increasing. However many points I can take the better.

55 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

I don't bet big. And only the 2nd time I've wagered this year. First time was Illinois and won that one.  And I always hope to lose the bet. Want USF to crush any opponent. 

A reasonable approach to be sure.

I have the same issue with playing Fantasy Football-- which at one point had me so wrapped up in what was going on that I found myself rooting against my favorite teams. Not the same thing as betting-- but certainly pulls ones focus from what should matter to them. BUt yeah-- small bets are no big deal. These guys talking about wagering 3 months salary sound nuts to me.

• Topic Count:  683
  • Content Count:  7,630
  • Days Won:  6

I"m shocked this line has remained at -32.  That means people are equally placing money on both teams so 50% of the gamblers think we'll cover at -32.  Totally crazy.

GO BULLS!

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  1,238
  • Days Won:  0

Look at uconns scores this year. They're losing by 30-50 to worse teams than us. We should win big. 

I'd still bet uconn though.