• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

USF #21 in AP Poll

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

3 hours ago, Orlando Bull said:

Not to be a negative nelly, but, wouldn't that same law also say that eventually our luck runs out with the late heroics? I hope that at some point this team plays like they can, but, so far, walk like a duck, quack like a duck...

That's implying it's luck.  I don't believe in luck.  There are no laws governing luck, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.  

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

1 hour ago, Calibull said:

That's implying it's luck.  I don't believe in luck.  There are no laws governing luck, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.  

Didn't BB throw a ball over the middle that looked like it was directly to a defender on the last drive (or second to last)... defender catches it, it's game over. Call it what you want, but, at some point, there just won't be enough time on the clock to overcome 3.7 quarters of garbage.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  20,934
  • Days Won:  38

20 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

at some point, there just won't be enough time on the clock to overcome 3.7 quarters of garbage.

How dare you?

31 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

Didn't BB throw a ball over the middle that looked like it was directly to a defender on the last drive (or second to last)... defender catches it, it's game over. Call it what you want, but, at some point, there just won't be enough time on the clock to overcome 3.7 quarters of garbage.

I have literally seen just about every QB do that.  I watched it happens several time watching the NFL...  still perplexed, every pass will not be perfect.  I still don't believe in luck.  Good teams get breaks... this is the first season I can remember us getting the breaks and winning late. You're assuming also every game will end this way.  They wont, I can literally guarantee that.  

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Just now, Calibull said:

I have literally seen just about every QB do that.  I watched it happens several time watching the NFL...  still perplexed, every pass will not be perfect.  I still don't believe in luck.  Good teams get breaks... this is the first season I can remember us getting the breaks and winning late. You're assuming also every game will end this way.  They wont, I can literally guarantee that.  

It wasn't a knock on BB... your initial premise was that "law of numbers" would indicate that we're going to play a complete game eventually. My only point was that the same "law of numbers" would indicate that those breaks (which I now see if totally different than luck) won't be nearly 100% in our favor as they have been in several games. 2 KO returns and timely turnovers against GT, late heroics vs Ill and Tulsa.

Maybe it really is "The Force" swinging back in our favor after the 4th and 24 kick to the groin from last year.

• Upvote 1

Greatest thing about football, you don't have to be perfect, to be perfect.  I can remember a UCF team that barely beat a SC team that finished under .500 and needed late game heroics to beat a 2-9 USF team at home, they squeaked by in a lot of those games on their way to a conference championship and BCS win over Baylor.  I remember seeing a Temple team that was barely beating teams we blew out only to see them beat us handedly at home on their way to a conference title.  They weren't blowing anyone out and were pulling games out in the second half.  Cool thing about football is you have to play the game.  I'll take where we are anytime.  Both those teams got some crazy breaks in both those seasons.

Edited by Calibull

6 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

It wasn't a knock on BB... your initial premise was that "law of numbers" would indicate that we're going to play a complete game eventually. My only point was that the same "law of numbers" would indicate that those breaks (which I now see if totally different than luck) won't be nearly 100% in our favor as they have been in several games. 2 KO returns and timely turnovers against GT, late heroics vs Ill and Tulsa.

Maybe it really is "The Force" swinging back in our favor after the 4th and 24 kick to the groin from last year.

Sometimes the force is with you... we got some crazy mojo going and while it's ugly... it feels so good.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,736
  • Days Won:  120

here is the problem with this conversation-- people who feel we are not going to be able to keep winning this way have no examples from this team and this season where that is true. So they are basically assuming something bad will happen soon and getting mad about it before anything has happened. This is almost the equivalent of having your girlfriend be mad at you because of something you did in her dream. While it wasn't real, to her you still did it.

How about we save all that angst for after the first loss when there are actual examples to use in an argument? It probably will happen-- no one is disputing that the potential is certainly there. But why get upset about things that MIGHT happen? Even if he we knew with 100% absolute certainty when and how we were going to lose--- what good does that conversation serve? Short of the coaches coming on here looking for advice, I cannot see how our discussions will change what will happen regardless.

I'm not saying we can't have the discussion-- but it has limits since it is all conjecture and guessing. We get it-- some of us even dread that it is coming as well. But maybe we should try to just enjoy that it hasn't for a bit.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,715
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, MikeG said:

they are basically assuming something bad will happen soon and getting mad about it before anything has happened.

Sounds just like "cutting off future failure"...

"However, persons associated with a successful group which was expected to
fail in a subsequent competition were expected to COFF in an attempt to protect their 
ego from future damage. That is, these persons would disassociate themselves from the 
successful group because they expected the group to fail at a later date."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.researchgate.net/publication/232515756_Distancing_After_Group_Success_and_Failure_Basking_in_Reflected_Glory_and_Cutting_Off_Reflected_Failure/amp&ved=2ahUKEwjXs92s9oneAhXKneAKHeT5DRcQFjAOegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw1XszSQzRB9lj2ez9kA41-4&ampcf=1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,736
  • Days Won:  120

yes-- I've seen that before.

I am enjoying this season-- the good and the bad of it. Not always pretty and sometimes very frustrating but I would watch every game even if they were 0-6 right now. They are my team and they get my support regardless (though I did have a brief period after they fired CJL that I was very unhappy).

The key is to not take it all too seriously. Teams can lose any game for any reason even when they seem like they should beat that other team. It is nice to think we can run the table but it is not the end of the world either if/when it does not happen. I get that some get mad when teams don't live up to their potential. I think this is short sighted and fails to account for the other team they are playing.

So while we are still cruising along at 6-0 - let's try and enjoy it. Not much we as fans can do otherwise.

• Upvote 1