• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF #21 in AP Poll

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,341
  • Days Won:  5

20 minutes ago, Bulliez said:

Looks like we've play down or up to the level of competition. But somehow, some way, this team seems to pull through. Hope it stays true late into the season! GO BULLS

Nailed it.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  153
  • Content Count:  3,034

4 hours ago, E.T. said:

Correct. It amazes me that we've never won a conference championship!?!

It took Florida 85 years to win their first one. Vandy has never won one. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

7 minutes ago, swamprat said:

It took Florida 85 years to win their first one. Vandy has never won one. 

Good god if it takes 85 years none of us on this board will be around to see it...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  139

9 hours ago, psteazy said:

point of pride.

as a realist though, we would get trounced by any squad on that list not in the AAC. the hilarity that we're two spots from a team like Penn State. incomparable on-field product between programs. 

I"m not so sure our programs are incomparable. Here's why...

This is one of those things that is hard to imagine but when you bring up Penn State, it reminds me of our one game there in 2005. That year we finished 6-6 and played in our first bowl game (Meineke Car Care Bowl in Charlotte - lost to a decent NCState team 14-0-- though Grothe was a redshirt that season he dressed for the bowl). We were also in our first year in the Big East and the team was starting to really gel again after some rough years after our fine 2002 team. Our season opener was at Penn State and we were excited but cautiously optimistic as fans. Once the game started though-- we realized that we had the talent to hang with them. We even had a shot at winning.

The point is that just saying "that team would beat us" simply because they are Penn State does not factor in that the game itself would change the team -- players would be way up for a game like that. We lost to them that day (23-13) but so did many others as they finished 11-1 that season. We were big underdogs going in. No one expected us to keep it close. But we did.

Now I am not saying we are that wet behind the ears 2005 USF team - just that the difference between the teams is much less dramatic than some might realize. Granted-- if we played like we did against Tulsa or Illinois etc in the first half-- yeah-- they might just crush us early. I think you could say that about a ton of teams. We all agree that our first half performance in most of the games this season has been mostly miserable. That needs to be addressed asap to get through the rest of the schedule in front of us- let alone a hypothetical Penn State match up.

I just want to remind people how perceptions, reality, and actual game play can be extremely hard to predict. We might be playing to the level of our competition- but that means we have potential to be so much better and hang with any of those top 10-25 teams. We haven't seen that team play yet or maybe just glimpses in the 4th quarter.

sorry-- I'll get off the old soap box. That Penn State game in 2005 (along with numerous other games like it back then) was eye opening to the narrow difference between the P5 and G5 types of the world -- and a really good time.

PS-- yes I realize that we were technically a BCS team at the time - same level supposedly as PSU - but for the first time ever.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900

16 hours ago, Calibull said:

Man... this football season... up is down... side-ways is over there ↘️... This team has tested my faith and everything I thought I knew about this team and college football.  Maybe because I've never rooted for a team doing what the team does.  So... maybe it's like I mentioned... we're not the prettiest horse but we win.  When they play with a since of urgency, they play really good.  I think eventually, just the law of numbers say they'll come out focused for a complete game.  But until then, I'm not pretending to understand this mojo.  Refuse to lose.  I''m just a fan right now, this may be my favorite team.

Not to be a negative nelly, but, wouldn't that same law also say that eventually our luck runs out with the late heroics? I hope that at some point this team plays like they can, but, so far, walk like a duck, quack like a duck...

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

23 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

Not to be a negative nelly, but, wouldn't that same law also say that eventually our luck runs out with the late heroics? I hope that at some point this team plays like they can, but, so far, walk like a duck, quack like a duck...

And win like a mother ******* duck!

Note:  I'm not sure how a mother ******* duck wins.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

8 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

He penetrates when behind and scores often.

Edited by Azmodi
  • Haha 1

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I find it interesting that in almost every game since this coaching staff has been here, the announcers all say the same thing after the first quarter.  Starting with Randy Cross in the San Jose State game up to and including this past weekend, we hear  USF looks unprepared or out of sync. Or that we look sluggish. 

Then, if we do get up by 3 scores we start to play like we are bored. 

Is it something in Strong's leadership or the preparation or lack thereof?

We seem to be able to turn it on when needed.

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,454
  • Days Won:  25

26 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

19 minutes ago, Azmodi said:

He penetrates when behind and scores often.

I was gonna say he comes from behind...

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,483
  • Days Won:  0

15 hours ago, Bulliez said:

Looks like we've play down or up to the level of competition. But somehow, some way, this team seems to pull through. Hope it stays true late into the season! GO BULLS

I don't think we've really had to play up to our competition yet this season.  Houston will be the first test.  I'd like to think the team has been sleep-walking through these inferior teams.