• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

UCF Over Memphis...Better for Us?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

9 minutes ago, Gobulls90 said:

This conversation again?

What do you guys think about building an OCS?

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,672
  • Days Won:  8

On 10/14/2018 at 12:14 PM, swamprat said:

Our only chance at any championship is a conference championship. UCF losing helps our chances of obtaining that championship. 1st priority is to win something we've never won. Screw the NY6.

Going for national recognition is a waste of time. Say we get to play in a NY6 bowl. Nobody will care but us. According to the talking heads, even the NY6 opponents of the G5 teams don't care, and do not want to be there. 

As far as I am concerned, the ESPN College Football Payoff is a major waste of time and supporting it supports it's bias and corruption. Last season, I didn't watch a single bowl game, other than ours, and I really didn't miss it. At the moment, nothing has changed for me to alter my watching this holiday season.

Beating UCF is all we have to play for anymore. In 10 years we have really regressed as a program. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,605
  • Content Count:  74,216
  • Days Won:  422

11 hours ago, Ricky the Bull said:

Yes, beating UCF is paramount.  However, in doing so, it won't help us achieve a NY6 bowl if that also is desired.  If we lose any one game and they only lose to us, they won't drop enough for us to pass them.  We need to hope that the relative rankings of the G5 stay intact until Thanksgiving.

That won't matter in regards to a NY6 bowl ..... if I'm understanding your point. It's the highest ranked G5 champion going to a NY6 bowl. If we're the only 2 teams with one loss in our division, and their loss is to us, we get to play for a NY slot. If more than 2 teams in our division have one loss it goes to a tiebreaker, where CFP rankings would count but only as the 6th tiebreaker:

In the event of a multiple-team tie within a division, the following tiebreaker criteria will be used, in order:
  · Head-to-head record against the tied teams
  · Divisional winning percentage
  · Record against each team in the divisional standings, in descending order
  · Record against common non-divisional conference opponents
  · Overall winning percentage
  · Most recent College Football Playoff Selection Committee rankings (provided the highest-ranked team won its final game)
  · Average of selected computer rankings

2 hours ago, Gismo said:

Beating UCF is all we have to play for anymore. In 10 years we have really regressed as a program. 

Right, beating UCF means more than a conf championship .......smh

• Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  120

We want UCF to lose whenever possible unless them winning helps us get past another team to win our division.

For this season-- I think both USF and UCF could lose one or two games prior to playing each other. After watching them play a decent opponent in Memphis-- they have shown they can be beat. We have to of course-- more so based on our games to date.

Anyway-- my point is the team focus should be in this order: win the game you play next, win the division, beat UCF, win the conference. Anything beyond that is out of our hands. NY6 bowl? Out of our control-- we get it if we earn it with winning. CFP? Forget about them-- no G5 will ever sniff those playoffs as currently structured.

So them losing is pretty much always the desired choice.

5 minutes ago, MikeG said:

NY6 bowl? Out of our control-- we get it if we earn it with winning.

If we get a NY6 bowl by winning out, isn't that under our control?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  120

17 minutes ago, Triple B said:

If we get a NY6 bowl by winning out, isn't that under our control?

I see how that statement seems contradictory. I mean that it is possible that we could win out or even be 12-1 but still have some other team be ranked higher that gets the nod-- so in that way it is out of our control. Most likely, we would be ranked highest but who knows-- in any given year, some team like a Boise State might also have a great record and better ranking and get awarded the slot. Rankings are ultimately opinions and out of our control.

• Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  682
  • Days Won:  2

Who is this "UCF" place everyone keeps talking about? Is it an amusement park? In all seriousness, I hope UCF wins every OOC game, just like I hope every AAC team wins their OOC games because that helps the conference as a whole. After that, I hope UCF loses every conference game that they play because I hate them and wish they didn't exist, and every conference game that they lose increases our chances of playing in the AAC championship game. 

• Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  682
  • Days Won:  2

Also, I have just about lost all interest in the CFP. They don't even try to hide their bias anymore. How many years in a row do people need to see the same 4-5 teams play for a national championship before they get bored and stop watching and force the CFP to expand or change things up?

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

8 hours ago, MikeG said:

I see how that statement seems contradictory. I mean that it is possible that we could win out or even be 12-1 but still have some other team be ranked higher that gets the nod-- so in that way it is out of our control. Most likely, we would be ranked highest but who knows-- in any given year, some team like a Boise State might also have a great record and better ranking and get awarded the slot. Rankings are ultimately opinions and out of our control.

You mean like App State?  Heard they almost beat a P5 team .  🤣

Edited by chapelbull